• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advantages of an aftermarket bolt knob???

Twisted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2009
NW Oregon
www.twistedfirearms.com
I have seen many of them but have never shot a rifle with one. What is the advantage/reason for them?

I love how they look but I'm sure it is more than just the asthetics as reason to have them. Anything I should be aware of when looking to get one for my Remington 700?

Re: Advantages of an aftermarket bolt knob???

Adds a bit more leverage to the bolt so it closes and opens easier. With the knob, I can close the bolt with a single finger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Adds a bit more leverage to the bolt so it closes and opens easier. With the knob, I can close the bolt with a single finger. </div></div>

Never thought of that. That is good enough reason for me. I noticed there were a few people in the classifieds installing them. Is there anything I should look for specifically or avoid?

Go with a badger ordnance, They're big enough and very well weighted to allow you to open/close the bolt with one finger. You can get the knob bought/installed for fairly cheap.

Word of caution, some bolt knob/ring height combos may not work together...for that matter the occular size of the scope can also come into play.

Look at what others ar running and stick with a known formula to avoid any possible issues.

The Badger Ordinance bolt knob is a great aftermarket add on- with one caveat: they can break off if not properly installed. Ask me how I know.

What I discovered: Randy Cain @ R&D Precision is a gunsmith guru and has solutions.

My ONLY complaint with my Remington is (was) the bolt knob. It's like a metal toe. It's too small and difficult to get a hold of, and well as not providing enough material to provide good leverage. I had Keith at AZPrecision install one of his knobs on mine, and I love it. Much better grip, much better leverage. It gives the cycling action a whole different feel.