• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice for 30/30 powder

Bayou1535

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2011
MW
Had a neighbor ask me earlier on powders to use for 30/30 and I have no clue on what to recommend. Something that would be easy to measure as he doesn't want to wiegh individually. From lookin in my book H335 was shown a couple times but not sure what everyone else uses or what to recomend. My knowledge is limited with pistol only as I'm gathering everything for 223 now. Thanks

Re: Advice for 30/30 powder

Spend the $26 & buy a reloading manual like Hornady's. They will tell you all the powders that are compatible with each caliber & the min & max weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Holtz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spend the $26 & buy a reloading manual like Hornady's. They will tell you all the powders that are compatible with each caliber & the min & max weight. </div></div>

Great answer! Note, the guy doesn't want to screw with actually weighing his charges. Whatever, but too many new handloaders get all their information from Internet forums, rather than actual authoritative published data. Maybe we can reverse a trend? BB

PS I had to use great restraint in not offering a suitable propellent.

I have a book and he also has a book, I was looking for a recommendation. Sometimes it's better to ask what everyone else has been through or tried instead of buying several 1LB's to narrough down some. On not weighing I mean he does not want to individually measure each load (ball versus extruded. Something thats easy metering from a powder measure. Anyone else have or want to give an opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bayou1535</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a book and he also has a book, I was looking for a recommendation. Sometimes it's better to ask what everyone else has been through or tried instead of buying several 1LB's to narrough down some. On not weighing I mean he does not want to individually measure each load (ball versus extruded. Something thats easy metering from a powder measure. Anyone else have or want to give an opinion. </div></div>

Good come back actually........

IMR 3031 is supposed to be a good 30/30 powder but I weigh each charge individually when loading with this powder. In fact, there are only a few powders that I can throw charges consistently enough with from my powder measure that I don't weigh charges individually.

If you want the best powder for accuracy, you may need to weigh individual charges. If you don't want to weight individual charges, go with a suitable ball powder.

The Lee powder scoops work fine. Buy a set of Lee dies and get the powder scoop and a loading sheet for the caliber.

I also recognize a decent and valid response by Bayou. No sense in attempting to stick my finger in the dike.

One last observation. When I read the first post and the comment that the "neighbor" does not want to weigh charges, I assumed an accurate powder measure, not scoops, but whatever? Sometimes it is difficult to throw a blanket over those that "reload" for a lever action 30-30 and those that precision handload. I need to appreciate the distinction. BB

With my 3030 I have tried many different loads and bullets. Most can be made to shoot well enough. The best load I have shot with mine was a 150gr FMJ bullet with a fair charge of 748. Single load and less than one inch groups at 100. My favorite load is a 113ish gr lead bullet with Gas check and black powder to fill the casing. Not the most accurate load but the most fun.

He won't be scooping but using a powder measure (RCBS I believe) and the rifle will have rifle sights not glass. He is not into precision so to speak just something along the lines of a ball powder for the easy/repeatable throwing abilities. I will look again for ball powders used for 30/30 and recomend one of those.

BuzzBoss, I did not know of anyone using scoops and if he was I would recomend against it. Come to think of it I have a couple of those scoops with lee die sets but I woudn't think to use them. Seems like there would be far to much deviation with those.

Thanks rpk762

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: easternncnative</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recommend checking loads at http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
and a set of Lee powder dippers.
</div></div>

Hey, no problem, but it wasn't I that mentioned scoops; in the first place. I started loading many years ago with a Lee Loader, which uses a scoop. For the stated application, a scoop is acceptable, especially a lever 30/30 with open sights. Seems to me that getting the crimp right is the part that requires a bit more skill? BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumulkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMR 3031 is supposed to be a good 30/30 powder but I weigh each charge individually when loading with this powder. </div></div> This has been my go to for my model 94 for years. As far as weighing each charge, I can't see it happening with a 30/30 anyway unless someone is just anal about their reloading process. Generally speaking, the type of rifle the cartridge is designed for wouldn't promote high levels of accuracy that would warrant that type of detail. Find a safe mid range, and just spot check for safety/quality control. Heck, I run my 30/30 loads on my Dillon 650. YMMV

The measure makes a case for small grains...the 3031 doesn't cut it. I like 4198 but you need a scale for that one too. I'd look at the ball powders. 335 or 748 would meter well.

I'm following this thread too....as my boy aquired a '94 a while back, and is begging me to reload for it. He has a ball with it, but frankly, buying factory ammo ain't my thing.

We have a ton of brass around here for it, and he's bent on trying the 150 TSX's on deer.

H335 has been my plan when I get around to it....as we keep plenty of it for the AR's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The measure makes a case for small grains...the 3031 doesn't cut it. I like 4198 but you need a scale for that one too. I'd look at the ball powders. 335 or 748 would meter well. </div></div>

Best response yet. If your gun won't shoot with these reccomendations you need a new gun. I always used 3031 but knew 4198 was just as godd if not better.
Lets face it, this is a lever action rifle. IT is chambered for 30/30. I have yet to see any load that wouldn't put 3 shots inside a paper plate at 200yds, with a competent shooter and a quality lever action.

When I used ball I used 335 but now that was with 169gr LRN. I used it cause that is what I had and I was never disapointed. Put 4 ball powders from the book that produce a good velocity, on a dart board and whichever one you hit will be fine. Not being snide, simply being honest.

I spoke with him earlier and after looking in the book for awhile I recommended 738 or H335. Guess I wasn't too far off considering the last few posts. Thanks again