• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice for a 204 Ruger Upper Build?

SMTGWKD

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
A few buddies went after prairie dogs last summer and came back giggling about 204 rugers. They weighted up their rifles in MDT chassis/weights and watched the gratuitous impacts through their scopes. I havent been able to shake the bug so here I go:

Looking for advice on barrel selection. I have an Aero upper and 15" handguard ready as well as a Superlative Arms AGB. I typically shoot suppressed as well.

What advice on barrel length, twist, make, etc would you have and what velocities are you seeing? I generally favor shorter tubes but the name of this game is velocity so I'm fine stretching to a 20+ inch barrel.

Options I see online are:

ER Shaw 20"
Lilia 24"
Wilson Combat 18"

I have the Wilson Combat 18".
I had the bbl threaded and it runs suppressed 100% .
Runs flawless

I put it in a Noveske upper and shoot
Hornady's 32gr vmax factory load.

I have it set up as a night rig with an Xp50 Trail, and it has dumped plenty of yotes.

I have the Wilson Combat 18".
I had the bbl threaded and it runs suppressed 100% .
Runs flawless

I put it in a Noveske upper and shoot
Hornady's 32gr vmax factory load.
What type of accuracy and velocity are you seeing?

I have built several .204 uppers.
most with Les Baer . .950 journal bull barrels.
20” and utilizing 32 grain Hornady ammo. Accuracy is well under .4 MOA on 10 shot groups. Velocity is 3980-4050 depending on temp.
I also built a light upper with Proof CF 20” barrel. Initial testing seems to be under .375 for 3 shot groups suppressed. Did not check velocity yet.

I have never put it threw a chrono.
When testing it initially it shot the 32gr vmax load cloverleafing groups at 100 yds. After that it has wore a thermal ever since.

Ironically, rth1800 was who I spoke with when I was deciding to build one.

I do know 204 doesn't run with P mags. The cartridges bind up inside the pmag. So I run usgi metal, Adventureline and Colt metal mags, which feed flawlessly

Reactions: RTH1800
For a complete upper woa or keystone accuracy would be my choice. For just a barrel You could do Proof on the expensive side or xcaliber on the more economical side.

I have built several .204 uppers.
most with Les Baer . .950 journal bull barrels.
20” and utilizing 32 grain Hornady ammo. Accuracy is well under .4 MOA on 10 shot groups. Velocity is 3980-4050 depending on temp.
I also built a light upper with Proof CF 20” barrel. Initial testing seems to be under .375 for 3 shot groups suppressed. Did not check velocity yet.

Thank you for this input! Do you have any experience with the proof stainless barrels? From a cost perspective, I'm not certain I want to run a carbon barrel on a wildcat caliber of sorts.

For a complete upper woa or keystone accuracy would be my choice. For just a barrel You could do Proof on the expensive side or xcaliber on the more economical side.

Any data on accuracy and cost for the Xcaliber barrel?

My several proof CF barrels are all fast and superbly accurate. I’m sure they can get a SS barrel right.

I do know 204 doesn't run with P mags. The cartridges bind up inside the pmag. So I run usgi metal, Adventureline and Colt metal mags, which feed flawlessly
Good point. A 20 practical (223 necked down to 20) has similar ballistics and feeds and functions well any 223 ar15 mag (including pmags). Plus brass is cheaper unless you build an accuracy rig and use lapua brass (which is exceptional). Downside is that you have to handload. Dies can be assembled using standard 223 redding type s bushing die and a 20 cal depriming rod/expander.

Sell upper parts, buy an LMT MLR complete upper with 223/556 barrel of your choice and buy their 204 Ruger SS barrel as well. One upper to do everything.

You can run .204 through the PMags but only 5-7 rds. I use USGI mags.

Sell upper parts, buy an LMT MLR complete upper with 223/556 barrel of your choice and buy their 204 Ruger SS barrel as well. One upper to do everything.
I had actually considered this early on, but I have so many uppers currently that i have no need for the added expense of an LMT upper (uppers with no BCG or charging handle are like $800 without a barrel).

Good point. A 20 practical (223 necked down to 20) has similar ballistics and feeds and functions well any 223 ar15 mag (including pmags). Plus brass is cheaper unless you build an accuracy rig and use lapua brass (which is exceptional). Downside is that you have to handload. Dies can be assembled using standard 223 redding type s bushing die and a 20 cal depriming rod/expander.
I love the idea of a 20 practical, but don't love that there isn't factory ammo support. While I am very comfortable reloading, it's really nice to be able to snatch some factory ammunition for a last minute hunt when needed.

Reactions: buggz
I had actually considered this early on, but I have so many uppers currently that i have no need for the added expense of an LMT upper (uppers with no BCG or charging handle are like $800 without a barrel).

The beauty of the MRP platform is that it's more cost effective in the long run because it eliminates the need for multiple uppers and optics.

If you shop around you can find deals. LMT just did a sale where the MLR stripped receivers were $399. There's usually a couple at a time listed on arfcom in the $600 range too. You can find deals on barrels too, especially the 204 since it's not very desirable. I've seen them go lightly used on gun broker for as low as $200-$250. You can get into the complete upper with both barrels and BCG for sub $1500 easily with a little shopping around and catching deals. You're certainly not going to build two equal quality uppers for that with two 5R cut rifled barrels like the LMT SS's are.

You can run .204 through the PMags but only 5-7 rds. I use USGI mags.
Don’t use pmags with a 204r. The pmags have internal guide ribs that abut the shoulders of a 223 cartridge. The shoulders of a 204r are farther forward and bind against the guide ribs which not only limits capacity but also reduces feeding reliability of the rounds you can fit in.

Reactions: SMTGWKD
I would suggest going with a 9 or 10 twist barrel if you want to run 39-40 gr bullets especially if you want to varmint hunt.
The faster twist gives better stability, accuracy and terminal performance at longer range.

I would suggest going with a 9 or 10 twist barrel if you want to run 39-40 gr bullets especially if you want to varmint hunt.
The faster twist gives better stability, accuracy and terminal performance at longer range.
Thank you - does this still provide solid accuracy and stability to run the 32s as well? My buddies are telling me that the effect on target is quite impressive with the smaller, faster projectiles.

The beauty of the MRP platform is that it's more cost effective in the long run because it eliminates the need for multiple uppers and optics.

If you shop around you can find deals. LMT just did a sale where the MLR stripped receivers were $399. There's usually a couple at a time listed on arfcom in the $600 range too. You can find deals on barrels too, especially the 204 since it's not very desirable. I've seen them go lightly used on gun broker for as low as $200-$250. You can get into the complete upper with both barrels and BCG for sub $1500 easily with a little shopping around and catching deals. You're certainly not going to build two equal quality uppers for that with two 5R cut rifled barrels like the LMT SS's are.
I'm going to re-think this and take a look again. Years ago i ruled out LMT due to weight (I favor lightweight everything excepting my PRS setup), but I'm intrigued so long as the accuracy and velocity for the 204 barrel is adequate.

Also - any input regarding preferred length? My longest AR15 barrel currently is 16" and that includes multiple 5.56, 6.5 grendel, 300 blackout, and 22lr uppers in different configurations. This will be purpose built for bench shooting at furry stuff, but I'm very open to ideas on how each of you use the rifle and what the best compromise would be.

For reference:

Proof Steel Barrel is 24"
Proof Carbon is 20", 24"
Wilson Combat is 18"
White Oak is 20", 22", 24", 26"
ER Shaw is 24"
Xcaliber - appears to be whatever the heck I want :)
Bartlein - same story as Xcaliber I assume

Of these options, how would you setup the barrel and why for shooting Prairie dogs from a bench, rock chucks from a truck and anything else you've found especially awesome for the 204 to play with - likely suppressed 80% of the time? (i.e. which barrel profile, length, etc)

Also - any input regarding preferred length? My longest AR15 barrel currently is 16" and that includes multiple 5.56, 6.5 grendel, 300 blackout, and 22lr uppers in different configurations. This will be purpose built for bench shooting at furry stuff, but I'm very open to ideas on how each of you use the rifle and what the best compromise would be.

For reference:

Proof Steel Barrel is 24"
Proof Carbon is 20", 24"
Wilson Combat is 18"
White Oak is 20", 22", 24", 26"
ER Shaw is 24"
Xcaliber - appears to be whatever the heck I want :)
Bartlein - same story as Xcaliber I assume

Of these options, how would you setup the barrel and why for shooting Prairie dogs from a bench, rock chucks from a truck and anything else you've found especially awesome for the 204 to play with - likely suppressed 80% of the time? (i.e. which barrel profile, length, etc)

Of those I'd pick the 24" Proof.

1. Proof is the most cost effective way to get into the premium cut rifled barrel, and they're usually in stock as dealers/distributors.
2. .20 cals foul like a MOFO and the smoother/better made the barrel is, the less it will foul and the easier it will clean up.
3. 204 Ruger likes barrel length. Its advantage is being fast and flat shooting, neuter it and you're loosing the advantage. If you're shooting from a bench then it doesn't matter anyway and it sounds like you already have plenty of handy AR setups.

My experience with several uppers, 6000 + rds fired and hundreds of kills is this.
The 32 grain load does it all. It preforms far better than it looks on paper. I use nothing else. 20’ barrel.

Reactions: ballistic1
My experience with several uppers, 6000 + rds fired and hundreds of kills is this.
The 32 grain load does it all. It preforms far better than it looks on paper. I use nothing else. 20’ barrel.
Perfect input - will the 1 in 10 twist of the Proof hinder my accuracy with that load any?

Also, I wonder what velocity you are getting with a 20 foot barrel - I'd love to see your cleaning rod. Haha.

I have the standard Proof .204 20” CF barrel. I think it’s 10 twist and shoots great.

Only the Baer barrels. I will post up my results tonight. I do recall significant velocity changes between -15 and 90 degrees but I shoot in those temps. Basically getting 4050 iirc.

I do not shoot with a suppressor but if I did I would want a shorter barrel. Less than 20” anyways. It would be worth your time to call John at woa and ask him for 5 minutes of his time. Woa will custom build you
A upper with the length profile and muzzle threads you desire.

Agreed..32 gr vmax are vicious.

I went 18" because I knew beforehand I was going to run it suppressed full time, and wanted it to be more handy.

Going from a 20" to 18", I lost
some speed no doubt, but it certainly
hasn't hindered its performance.

This is a sample of what 32gr vmax does at 250 yds
Screenshot_20200102-140026_Gallery.jpg

Check out Columbia river. They have poly rifled barrels. As for length I run a 26” 17 rem ar. I’d go at least 20. If your always gonna be supported and not far from your truck I’d go 24.

Agreed..32 gr vmax are vicious.

I went 18" because I knew beforehand I was going to run it suppressed full time, and wanted it to be more handy.

Going from a 20" to 18", I lost
some speed no doubt, but it certainly
hasn't hindered its performance.

This is a sample of what 32gr vmax does at 250 ydsView attachment 7215182
Yikes - that's brutal. Do you happen to know velocity from your 18"? Barrel make?

Don’t use pmags with a 204r. The pmags have internal guide ribs that abut the shoulders of a 223 cartridge. The shoulders of a 204r are farther forward and bind against the guide ribs which not only limits capacity but also reduces feeding reliability of the rounds you can fit in.

Try 300 blk pmags?
Mine is a 20 Tac so no issues there but similar ballistics. 23.5" made from a BHW blank. Leverevolution is king for velocity and accuracy with 40gr VMax in mine at 3900 fps.

BHW does 204 Ruger barrels. I'd suggest one of those in 24" to the OP. Nothing to be gained with a short barrel in this kind of gun.