• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice for new FFL/ Business?

serevince

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
Spokane
Wasn't sure where to post this, so here we are.

What advice do you wish you had starting out with your FFL or small business in general?

My friend owns and operates a small machine shop. They currently make non-serialized parts for larger firearm/suppressor manufacturers, and performance motorsports. Long story short we're starting a new venture together. We've collaborated on projects before and work well together, but this will be our first business venture. He's the technical CAD/CAM guy, and I'm the crazy idea guy. We're both a lot more than that of course, but that's it more or less. Hopefully we can translate that into a successful business partnership.

He applied for an FFL in Oct for his company, non-stop excuses for the delays from the ATF. "System crashes", "it's the FBI's fault", etc. Doing what bureaucracy is best at, nothing.

We have the basics sorted legally. Working with a lawyer to get all the details hammered out. trying to keep it simple, with room to grow. Keeping it separate from his machining biz, but underneath it's corporate umbrella so to speak.

We're starting with a line-up of accessories while we wait for the FFL. Plan is for the accessories to be the backbone initially, then suppressors. If we manage to succeed at that, we plan on manufacturing our own firearms. It sounds fancy, and hopefully someday it will be. Right now it's two passionate guys with some crazy ideas.

First parts are on their way back from the manufacturer. The in house prototypes are awesome, but for production we are trying new to us processes and materials. Fingers crossed we just need a little tweaking before a full scale production test. We'll be keeping everything pretty close to the vest initially. I've seen too many disastrous launches with canceled pre-orders or pitchforks coming out over delays.

So what do you wish you would have known from the outset?

Thanks!

Vince

Don't do a single thing regarding suppressors until you have the actual license to be a manufacturer of those devices and have all the legalities totally worked out. No parts and pieces no making a few bits for testing, nothing at all.

Work out from the very start how the money goes both in and out, who spends what, who gets what, who gets paid what, who has final say in things, and
what happens when you decide you'd like a divorce.

Damn. Lots of negativity in here! I considered the same, but i am a dumbass and HATE paperwork and contradictory rules/laws, so i stay away from it all.

Reactions: serevince
Just don’t be a fudd

Been around guns forever, took my girlfriend in to the local gun shop to try on some CCW guns.

Man… same shit, some old fat fucker playing the tired “better for women to shoot these” line, enough to get her to mention it when we got back to the car, plus the lack of any local knowledge of places to shoot and no recommends for courses or competitions for experienced people, let alone the same boring inventory, like I’ll be back to see if you have any deals in your going out of business sale.

f-the man you don't have to play by his rules make your own lol
best of luck if you do it .

"We'll be keeping everything pretty close to the vest initially."

This.

You might want to get a SH commercial supporter and advertise here.

Appreciate the honest responses, and the humorous ones.

Military for 21 years, so inane paperwork and contradictory rules sound like every gov agency, ever... That and doing nothing, as slowly as possible, are the foundations of any good bureaucracy. Learn the rules, play the game, kiss some ass, repeat.

We have the added bonus of operating in a state that's rapidly trying to out "California" California. Thankfully we just saved the world by banning "ghost guns". They're planning a exorcism next week to purge all the current ghost guns, and then I think the plan is crystals to block new ones? I'm not really qualified to comment on the science. I'm just thankful someone finally did something.

The chances of failure are high for sure. I'm gonna try and remember that on my way to range for work today. First articles are in, time for some testing.

There are a lot of can manufactures out there. You will have to be cheap, have unique features and high quality. You can't have all 3. It's worth a try but don't sink a pile of money into it.

As a customer that went through the TTF/Crux can debacle, I will never buy into a new company again due to the "what if's". TBAC or someone well known and respected in the community from now own.

Reactions: redx
The business is “printing money” so to speak, so invest heavily.

Also recommend bringing in partners you have never met. Float them lots of cash and never really check in.
Let me introduce you to my cousin, he is from Nigeria.
Happy to send you his CV, he is so much more than a Prince.

Having started and successfully running 3 business most of my life; don't quit your day job for the 1st few years, expecting any income from your venture. I've seen it over and over folks struggle to make it past the 1st year. Our 2nd business, we had over $40K invested in the 1st year, by 3rd year we added commercial property on the town square. After 10 years wife was making money, I never saw any return, as I finally divorced her (other reasons, but that did contribute)

The business is “printing money” so to speak, so invest heavily.

Also recommend bringing in partners you have never met. Float them lots of cash and never really check in.
Let me introduce you to my cousin, he is from Nigeria.
Happy to send you his CV, he is so much more than a Prince.
cant stop yourself can you

You may need to replace that old halogen bulb, buddy! The projector ain't putting out like it's supposed to 🤣

Reactions: Ravenworks
Don't take money up front. Seen quite a few companies fail because they spent the up front money before they made the parts. Then had to wait for more money to build what they had already been paid for. Search for Leviathan and do the opposite.

Are you retarded?
I think you have some serious mental deficiencies.

20211117_150410.jpg

Last edited:
Just like the dems
Blame the people who call it out not the one who actually posted it

• Haha
Reactions: QuickNDirty
LOL, sounds like stories about the cast of SNL sitting around begging Dennis Miller to "roast me next!"

Reactions: Ravenworks
Let sleeping dog lay…

How is it sleeping if someone is else posts it

Was it Me who posed above?

Prove it wasn’t a knock at me or using me as a punch line?

When the last time I started a thread about hoplite , me , theis?

Whens the last post or thread about me trying to make money with hoplite?

And I’m the attention whore…

Could as easily posted and tagged my name “saying he has some advice lol”

Hypocrisy as usual just a different thread

Later

”unwatched”

The date is irrelevant

I should let things go because I missed them or wasn’t tagged?

Did someone or anyone say they wouldn’t speak about me again?

If I did I missed it, and if I did then dates matter and I’d apologize.

Pm if you want to continue

Truthfully what I have done and will continue to do is correct incorrect information about me, hoplite, and the events that took place.

This is what I don’t get…and don’t take it wrong…with all you guys

I’ve taken the L 200 times over on several threads admitting what I did and didn’t do

yet you guys jump at every chance to stir it up.

The post above is evidence of that

Was I on this thread giving advice?

Was I saying advice given was incorrect?

Or was I used as a joke?

You guys could have not replied to this thread

I didn’t tag any of you guys in did i?

yet your here

for no other reason but to argue with me again

…and I’m the one stirring?

Remember when Q made a pretty good suite of products, but the owner was an ass-hat on the internet and his customer base said “Fuck right off asshat?”

Remember when Donald Trump was President, had a pretty good plan, but couldn’t close the deal on much of it because he tweeted mean things on the Twitter?

Pepperidge Farm remembers…

If anyome has something useful to say and not the same tired stuff send me a pm or start a group pm.

Let sleeping dog lay…

How is it sleeping if someone is else posts it

Was it Me who posed above?

Prove it wasn’t a knock at me or using me as a punch line?

When the last time I started a thread about hoplite , me , theis?

Whens the last post or thread about me trying to make money with hoplite?

And I’m the attention whore…

Could as easily posted and tagged my name “saying he has some advice lol”

Hypocrisy as usual just a different thread

Later

”unwatched”
Lonely ?
Call a friend

• Haha
Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC