• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice for new Larue FDE 7.62

THRASHER

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2013
Picked up my FDE 7.62 two weeks ago and am in the process of getting it set up. I also purchased a Tranquilo, but as we all know, that's going to be a long process.

I am leaning towards a Schmidt & Bender for the optic. I'll mainly be long range sniper target type shooting in the 600-1000yard + range. I've never owned a S&B scope, plenty of other high end scopes though. My initial thoughts are 5-25x56 or possibly a 3-27x56. As far as reticle, no idea. I am trying to research and better understand the different reticles. Anybody have any links or recommendations explaining the different reticles and their uses/advantages etc.? Anybody running a S&B? Thoughts/Advice? I went to the S&B booth at the NRA convention and wow, they sure are nice! I "need" one. :)

Also, what's the go to bipod and ammo for this setup?

I am looking for someone with a military sniper type background to provide some instruction on long range shooting and reticle training in the Atlanta area. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks ahead of time guys! Can't wait to get setup and get to the range.

Congrats on the new boom stick! As far as bipods, I like Atlas over harris, because the Atlas has more adjustment in the angle of the legs, and I feel it's a bit more stable. If you are going for 1000 yards, and using factory ammo, you will probably want to try a few different kinds of ammo to see how your equipment likes it. FGMM 175gr 308 is a good place to start, especially at about $1 per from Palmetto State Armory. I've read good things about Prime Ammo, and I'm sure hornaday has some descent choices like that 178gr superperformance.
15x is plenty of scope to get you to 1000 yards, glass dependent obviously. SB 5-25x PMII is one of the best choices. Reticle is a very personal decision, and you have to get behind them and see what your eye likes. From SB P4F seems to be very popular. I like H2CMR reticle. If you will be using the reticle to range targets, that might steer you to the MSR reticle, but ranging can be done with just about any reticle that SB offers. For high end optics NF is my first choice, especially with the new MIL-C reticle, Kahles with SKMR3, and SB. I'm a lefty so that eliminates SB for my bolt guns. Each manufacturer has a key for each reticle detailing the spacing between subtensions.
Hopefully you only have to wait 4 months or so on the can. Search online for training, CORE in Florida, KM in TN, maybe something closer to Atlanta.
Either way, you should have lots of fun figuring out what works best for you and your gear.

Scott

I have a predatobr 7.62 that loves federal 175's. I shoot them to 1,000yds with my 16'' barrel all the time. Currently have a 10X nightforce on it. Plenty for steel targets but might not be enough if your are trying to shoot tiny groups at distance

Ive got an 18" OBR, you chose well on the rifle i love mine. I run a Leupold Mark 4 ERT 8.5-25 x 50 and shoot 10" steel at 800 with no issues. In terms of ammo, i reload my own, LC case, 190 HTBT Nosler CC over 40.5 grns of varget.

I have an 18" PredatOBR using a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50 scope with MOAR reticle HST and ZS. Mine will shoot 0.5-0.75" 5 shot 100 yard groups using 168 grain SMK's. I did have to replace the RAT butt stock with a Magpul PRS stock to get those kind of groups. Just couldn't get a decent check weld with the RAT butt stock.

A5scott - Thanks for the info. Will definitely research the recommendations. Quick question, I shoot left handed too, why no S&B on your bolt guns?

Appreciate all the advice/info thus far fellas. I am excited about the new Larue. S&B has a new reticle that S&B USA told me would be out stateside in August. It's called LRR-MIL. It definitely had my attention. Anyone else care to chime in?

A5scott - Thanks for the info. Will definitely research the recommendations. Quick question, I shoot left handed too, why no S&B on your bolt guns?

Appreciate all the advice/info thus far fellas. I am excited about the new Larue. S&B has a new reticle that S&B USA told me would be out stateside in August. It's called LRR-MIL. It definitely had my attention. Anyone else care to chime in?

oh, the tumor on the side that is the illumination knob, there is a good chance it will interfere with the bolt handle. A 60deg throw might solve that, but I'm not 100% sure. I've heard you can pay a few hundred or so to have the knob deleted. Both Mile High and Eurooptic said SB won't work with lefty. bolt actions. I didn't ask any followup questions because both of them were like nope, won't work. Plus I kind of like NF anyway.

Scott

I'd shoot the ammo your test target came with. I ordered a case of 175 FGMM while waiting for my tOBR assuming the gun would like it based on what the internet says, but it shoots it 2-3" consistently. My test target was shot with the 168 FGMM and they did a .4xx three shot group. I've come close but I'm not quite there yet. I've tried other hand loads and factory loads and they all shoot poorly compared to the 168 FGMM. Even tho the 168s generally suck (compared to other loads out there), I was still able to hit at 1k consistently, but the wind made them their bitch.

I have a Harris bipod on mine, it does the job. I have an atlas on another rifle and its fine, slower to deploy, so depends what you're doing with it.

I'd replace the stock too, that RAT stock doesn't do anything for me personally. I have a Magpul STR.

I went with a NF 5-25x56. It's worked well for the few shots I have taken so far.
Still trying 168's and 175's.