• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Advice for scope mount of semi auto .308 with pst gen ii

Len5E1

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2018
Hi guys and gals,

Scope should finally be on the way, vortex gen ii pst with ebr 2c reticle. Slapping it on a custom AR10 with prs gen 3 stock and 20” barrel. No BUIS.

I’m wondering what a decent mounting solution is? Do I need an offset or slanted mount? Plan to do 100-1000 yds eventually if I’m capable. It’s not a lightweight build. Is there any benefit to using a cheaper set like aero precision over a $200 mount from JP or similar? Is there a common height mount for my setup?

Next I’ll be researching the leveling methods and such but if there’s a “gotta have it” item I should have in my toolbox please let me know.

Len

If you get a Spuhr mount, it comes with a great leveling system. But that’s twice you the price you said was expensive. You won’t regret getting Seekins rings. Low rings might clear, but maybe not with a cap. Medium rings will work and the PRS stock has the adjustment for them. The PST Gen II has 20 MRAD of adjustment. That will work for a 308 at 1000, assuming decent velocity, but a 20 MOA tilt to the rings won’t hurt.

You can level the scope to the rifle by running feeler gaudes between the flat spot under the turrets and the pic rail. Keep adding blades until it’s snug, but still moves, then rotate the scope on the rings until it feels even. Repeat this process until you can’t add another blade. It’s much more accurate than any level.

Last edited:
Check out badger ordnance. They have been pretty good to me and if you are military they have a discount. Also, Seekins Precision is up here in Idaho. I always like to support local businesses that bring jobs to some of these small towns.

That Spuhr mount is really nice, I like the way they made that leveling wedge work with the mount and scope. That said, although I'm not looking for a budget piece, $400+ is quite a bit for a mount for me. I would prefer to not use rings if possible as I prefer the one piece mount style.

Let me narrow down my question. If I had a budget of ~$250 would there be a particular mount that stands out? I don't mind if that price doesn't include a leveling system unless the system brings it's cost up to the Sphur lol..

Edit: Also - Do you guys think a 20 MOA mount would be useful for this setup using a 308 cartridge? The plan is to reach 1000 yrds eventually so I would like to future proof it.

Last edited:
You want 20 MOA in my opinion. On the gas guns we used in the military we just used a good set of rings. Never had problems.

I’d say to definitely get a mount with the built in cant... cant hurt to have it and can come in handy when you’re shooting long range. For AR platform rifles, I’ve always like the NF Unimounts, ARC M10 QD-L, the LaRue PSR, Badger.... lots of good mounts out there! Bobro, GDI, Sphur, RRS, etc... are some of the pricier mounts but can be found in the PX here for decent prices.

Buy a cantilevered 20 moa .5” riser rail and a set of ARC rings.

Then you can put it on a bot rifle if you want and not be stuck with a cantilevered mount.

If you don’t need the cantilever, get a 20 moa standard riser rail and ARC rings.

Nightforce A191. 30mm x 20 MOA. Have picked up three here recently for under $185ea. And they leave room for a brass catcher mount or set of BUIS if you run them. NF quality, and light relative to others I’ve used.