• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Advice for the new and low speed

MLC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2004
Solebury, PA
I am curious about a weapon mounted night vision optic that could be mounted in front of an optic on an AR or on a KRG chassis that would allow for good target ID out to 200 yards with illumination for animal control.
What options are out there and what kind of pricing am I looking at?

The cheapest thermal sights run about $3k ... but not sure they are best for "good target ID" ...

For i^2 ... gen3p devices are also in the $3k range.

But you might be ok squeezing by with a gen2+ device for 200yds tops. In that case street price of $2k would probably get you there. Hopefully the SH dealers will be along shortly to hawk their wares :)

You'll have to think about rail space and you might need up to 7 inches of rail space in front of your day scope objective.

My most popular clip-on as of late here on the hide has been the Gen 2 HD CO-X for $2,175. With a good illuminator you can stretch it out to 400+ yards. It uses a very high end Gen 2 tube with high resolution. You can get other Gen 2 + tubes for cheaper, but I don't ever recommend anything less than the HD in a clip-on. You already have some performance loss using it in conjunction with a day scope, so you need to start with something that has some to loose. With a good long range illuminator like the T20IR, Supertac IR, Torch Pro, Luna, etc. it will do really well.
To get into a gen 3 device where the illuminator is not as necessary, wigwamitus is right, you are looking at north of $3k.

I've got the HD's in stock and ready to go.
EcNJwNW.jpg

The unit I got from Delta (Gen 2 HD CO-X) is a super unit. Have used it on several different rifles and it is very versatile.
Great place to start.