• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Advice for what scope to get, details within

Reformedcitykid

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2023
New York
Hi all,
I am coming to the pros for some advice on what scope to get. I just bought a Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5CM that I need to get some glass for. I have had a Tikka T3x Lite in 308 with a Leupold VX-2 4-12 on top that has been my primary hunting rifle for years. I have shot out a few hundred yards max with no issues on this platform. I would like to start trying my hand at some more long range (~1k, maybe a bit past), and while a fantastic rifle, the Lite is not as suited for these needs.

The Lite will still be my primary hunting rifle, while the CTR will be for more long-range shooting. I am new to more advanced, tree-style reticles (the VX-2 has a duplex reticle and my Razor 1-6 has a VMR-2), but I would like to learn! I would, however, like to have the option to take the CTR hunting if I’d like, so if it weren’t too unwieldy that would be a plus. If those needs are in direct opposition of each other though let me know. I am looking to spend up to $1k, maybe a bit more of there’s a deal to be on the lookout for.

Any input, advice, or words-of-wisdom, constructive or in jest, are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Reformedcitykid

EDITED TO ADD:
Looking for FFP, and any thoughts on max magnification that I should be realistically looking into (I.e. is it smarter to go higher-end glass with max of 18x or mid-tier with max of 25x).

Last edited:
I wouldn't say I'm a pro or expert, but a FFP scope with a 20 MOA mount is where I would start if you're trying to get to 1000 yd. I'm looking at a Leupold Mk5HD next (the Mk5 has MANY reticle options) but I have a NF NX8 that I love. I've only had it to 600 yds so far, but I'm limited more by cartridge than 6.5 CM (also on 308)

Reactions: Reformedcitykid
I'm looking at a Leupold Mk5HD next (the Mk5 has MANY reticle options) but I have a NF NX8 that I love. I've only had it to 600 yds so far
That is a solid place to start. Why make it complicated. Both solid scopes that can switch hit from precision shooting to hunting, and do not carry a ton of weight. We could easily open the conversation up to others, but one thing I learned from Trader Joe's: Keep the choice down to 3 products. You have two that nobody should kick off the sofa. Maybe one more. I would put the ZCO 4-20 up to consider.

What I like about this trio is the reticles are great. Leupold gives you a lot of choices, and the NX8 in mil is clean and offers the Mil-XT as a "Hourus like" option, and the same goes for ZCO. You will be spending more time with your reticle than you will with your turrets, so you have to love your reticle. Start there and work your way around.

Hi all,
I am coming to the pros for some advice on what scope to get. I just bought a Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5CM that I need to get some glass for. I have had a Tikka T3x Lite in 308 with a Leupold VX-2 4-12 on top that has been my primary hunting rifle for years. I have shot out a few hundred yards max with no issues on this platform. I would like to start trying my hand at some more long range (~1k, maybe a bit past), and while a fantastic rifle, the Lite is not as suited for these needs.

The Lite will still be my primary hunting rifle, while the CTR will be for more long-range shooting. I am new to more advanced, tree-style reticles (the VX-2 has a duplex reticle and my Razor 1-6 has a VMR-2), but I would like to learn! I would, however, like to have the option to take the CTR hunting if I’d like, so if it weren’t too unwieldy that would be a plus. If those needs are in direct opposition of each other though let me know. I am looking to spend up to $1k, maybe a bit more of there’s a deal to be on the lookout for.

Any input, advice, or words-of-wisdom, constructive or in jest, are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Reformedcitykid
It's slightly over your budget, but this would be the most bang for your buck setup...And you could hunt with it, if you wanted to. 👍🏼

This scope... The XTR-IIIi glass is phenomenal, and the SCR 2 reticle is really nice. I think you'd enjoy this scope.

These rings... I've used ALL types of rings over the years, and these are the best and easiest to level a scope in by-far. They also clamp like there's no tomorrow, so there won't be any slipping. They're built like tanks. Both the base clamp and the scope clamp screws take 55 inch-lbs. of torque to keep things simple.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say I'm a pro or expert, but a FFP scope with a 20 MOA mount is where I would start if you're trying to get to 1000 yd. I'm looking at a Leupold Mk5HD next (the Mk5 has MANY reticle options) but I have a NF NX8 that I love. I've only had it to 600 yds so far, but I'm limited more by cartridge than 6.5 CM (also on 308)
Leupold Mk5HD is the option that I keep coming back to as well, except it’s a bit out of my price point at the moment, so may be a case where I just save a few months longer and put off shooting it instead of compromising.

And aren’t modern LPVO’s incredible? I haven’t gotten my Vortex 1-6 out near 600 yet, but it has gotten me to 300 with no issues.

Leupold Mk5HD is the option that I keep coming back to as well, except it’s a bit out of my price point at the moment, so may be a case where I just save a few months longer and put off shooting it instead of compromising.

And aren’t modern LPVO’s incredible? I haven’t gotten my Vortex 1-6 out near 600 yet, but it has gotten me to 300 with no issues.
One of our local guys here ( @Jaydee1445 ) on the forum was a MK5 fanboy, and just became a Burris XTR-III convert after buying one. 😏

One of our local guys here ( @Jaydee1445 ) on the forum was a MK5 fanboy, and just became a Burris XTR-III convert after buying one. 😏
😳 haven’t even given much more than a cursory glance to Burris tbh… Where would you say it beats out the Leupold? Or similarly-priced optics?

It's slightly over your budget, but this would be the most bang for your buck setup...And you could hunt with it, if you wanted to. 👍🏼

This scope... The XTR-IIIi glass is phenomenal, and the SCR 2 reticle is really nice. I think you'd enjoy this scope.

These rings... I've used ALL types of rings over the years, and these are the best and easiest to level a scope in by-far. They also clamp like there's no tomorrow, so there won't be any slipping. They're built like tanks. Both the base clamp and the scope clamp screws take 55 inch-lbs. of torque to keep things simple.

Thank you I appreciate the guidance, guess I’ve been overlooking Burris! While it’s out of my price range at the moment, that’s more out of want to fire the rifle than anything else. In reality I’d rather save some more to get the best glass that I can, and hold off on firing, as between my other setups I don’t have any immediate need to.

And just an FYI for anyone looking in the future, Eurooptic’s MIL/LE program brings it right into that $1k range!

😳 haven’t even given much more than a cursory glance to Burris tbh… Where would you say it beats out the Leupold? Or similarly-priced optics?
Personally, I'm not a Leupold fan. I used to be 20 years ago, but they basically haven't done much since, except stuff old tech in a new package, IMO. So, for me personally, it beats the Leupy in every way. I see the MK5 as a repackaged MK4, and the MK4 was a complete fragile dumpster-fire. I think armorers used to keep multiples for each scope on hand for when (not "if") they broke on the snipers. 😂 Honestly, just some companies really live on a legacy, and to me, that's all Leupold is doing at this point. There's so many other companies now selling equal-to-superior products for less money. The Burris XTR-III being one of them. Another one that destroys the MK5 is the new Zeiss LRP S3 scopes. But those are about double what your price range is, but comparable in price to the MK5...But better than it in every way.

And just an FYI for anyone looking in the future, Eurooptic’s MIL/LE program brings it right into that $1k range!
Maybe some more folks will chime in here, but honestly, the XTR-III is where it's at in your price range, especially now that you can get that MIL/LE discount to put the price where you need it to be.

Compared to that VX-2, the XTR-III is going to blow you away, especially that SCR 2 reticle.

I really like the XTR IIIi 18x and Pro 30x and feel both are solid choices and good value. Son and I shot both along side our MK 5x25 Tremor 3 non illuminated today.
The Illuminated Tremor 5 in the Pro is a winner. $500 for Illumination on the MK5 is insane for me it makes the Luppy a hard pass. If illumination isn’t important to you I would say IQ and eyebox are slight advantage for the MK5. Both Burris had a slight purple fringe on Black police silhouette targets in bright sunlight; the only aberration that I really saw.
Mark five parallax only goes down to 75 but it was parallax free at 50 yards.
I’m not a fan of the M5C3 Turrets. Many have complained that they’re mushy don’t really have great click. I think they’re better than the Mark six turrets but still I like the Burris turrets better. No zero lock but you have to put effort forth to get the Burris turret to move. The only Mark six I still have is my 1 to 6 CMR-W
My son called the MK5 the winner. I can’t get past $500 for illumination so my vote went to XTR Pro. With a street of $900 to $1500 the XTR III is the clear best value IMHO. If money os really tight the Close out XTR II is a good budget option.
Spend the money saved on ammo and you will be way ahead of in your competition journey than buying a bit better glass.

Last edited:
Personally, I'm not a Leupold fan. I used to be 20 years ago, but they basically haven't done much since, except stuff old tech in a new package, IMO. So, for me personally, it beats the Leupy in every way. I see the MK5 as a repackaged MK4, and the MK4 was a complete fragile dumpster-fire. I think armorers used to keep multiples for each scope on hand for when (not "if") they broke on the snipers. 😂 Honestly, just some companies really live on a legacy, and to me, that's all Leupold is doing at this point. There's so many other companies now selling equal-to-superior products for less money. The Burris XTR-III being one of them. Another one that destroys the MK5 is the new Zeiss LRP S3 scopes. But those are about double what your price range is, but comparable in price to the MK5...But better than it in every way.
I’ve heard this sentiment mirrored a number of times, but that’s still a bummer to hear! The VX-2 has been great for my purposes, but when 99% of non-paper/steel shots are within 100 yards, it doesn’t have to be too complicated. KISS. Hold zero and place reticle on target haha. Funnily enough, most of what I know of Burris is from the lower-end hunting side, which is why I haven’t given them much thought, but I definitely will look more into them after this!

Reactions: FuhQ
If I had 1k$ to spend I look here in the classifieds for a used Burris xtr3, Athlon Chronus btr, or a bushnell xrs2. They all can be had for 1k or slightly above. There’s a couple more choices in that 1k$ used market but those three are solid, very dependable mechanics and good enough glass.

Second this - I returned an MK5 because the old XTR3 was better. FOV is the biggest difference. Either get the new 3i or pick up one of the older US made XTR3's for your budget. I still have 2 of the old ones, which are not for sale :)

I’ve heard this sentiment mirrored a number of times, but that’s still a bummer to hear! The VX-2 has been great for my purposes, but when 99% of non-paper/steel shots are within 100 yards, it doesn’t have to be too complicated. KISS. Hold zero and place reticle on target haha. Funnily enough, most of what I know of Burris is from the lower-end hunting side, which is why I haven’t given them much thought, but I definitely will look more into them after this!
I don't think you'll beat the XTR-IIIi for $1,000. Just me. And buying new scopes is always better than buying used, even if the used item is just fine, it's still not quite the same satisfaction. And if you can get a new one in price range, that's the direction I'd go. Also, EuroOptic has ridiculously fast shipping. And if you're in NY, you're not far from PA at all, so if you bought it tonight, it will ship out tomorrow and you'll probably have it by Friday before the weekend.

I sold a couple of VX-3HD last month to fund my 2 Burris. The trio we shot today.
57CC0636-DE17-4973-A58A-13D7D895E946.jpeg

I really like the XTR IIIi 18x and Pro 30x and feel both are solid choices and good value. Son and I shot both along side our MK 5x25 Tremor 3 non illuminated today.
The Illuminated Tremor 5 in the Pro is a winner. $500 for Illumination on the MK5 is insane for me it makes the Luppy a hard pass. If illumination isn’t important to you I would say IQ and eyebox are slight advantage for the MK5. Both Burris had a slight purple fringe on Black police silhouette targets in bright sunlight; the only aberration that I really saw.
Mark five parallax only goes down to 75 but it was parallax free at 50 yards.
I’m not a fan of the M5C3 Turrets. Many have complained that they’re mushy don’t really have great click. I think they’re better than the Mark six turrets but still I like the Burris turrets better. No zero lock but you have to put effort forth to get the Burris turret to move. The only Mark six I still have is my 1 to 6 CMR-W
My son called the MK5 the winner. I can’t get past $500 for illumination so my vote went to XTR Pro. With a street of $900 to $1500 the XTR III is the clear best value IMHO. If money os really tight the Close out XTR II is a good budget option.
Spend the money saved on ammo and you will be way ahead of in your competition journey than buying a bit better glass.
Great insight from someone who seems to have spent significant time behind the scope, and understands the intricacies and nuances of optics! Thank you it is much appreciated! And your tip at the end is well received, can always upgrade glass down the line, better to learn the skill on something that will still get the job done.

I don't think you'll beat the XTR-IIIi for $1,000. Just me. And buying new scopes is always better than buying used, even if the used item is just fine, it's still not quite the same satisfaction. And if you can get a new one in price range, that's the direction I'd go. Also, EuroOptic has ridiculously fast shipping. And if you're in NY, you're not far from PA at all, so if you bought it tonight, it will ship out tomorrow and you'll probably have it by Friday before the weekend.
I knew I came to the right place with this forum. Been reading and watching videos of the Burris, seems like you guys have sold me on a scope that wasn't even in my line of sight before this! What's Burris paying you?? It ain't enough :ROFLMAO:

Thank you again for your input, this was exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. I'm the type of guy who can spend weeks running myself in circles, watching every video, reading every review, talking myself into and then back out of scopes (or dishwashers...or tv's...or screwdrivers...or toothbrushes...etc etc lol). Input from those who have time behind the involved optics is exactly what I needed.

Definitely leaning towards the Burris XTR III 3.3-18 MIL now, thanks all for your input! If anyone knows someone selling a used one, feel free to send them my way!

a
Last question for you and @Jaydee1445 , do you think there is a marked benefit to spending the extra $150 and getting the 5.5-30 when I'll likely be shooting max of 1k for the foreseeable future, except in rare instances?

a

Last question for you and @Jaydee1445 , do you think there is a marked benefit to spending the extra $150 and getting the 5.5-30 when I'll likely be shooting max of 1k for the foreseeable future, except in rare instances?
It's better to spend the difference now and have the magnification if you think you might want it in the future. In my experience it's really nice to have that extra power for seeing groups at 100-200 yards. 18x won't be a limitation for most target shooting at a distance, but sometimes it is nice being able to crank it up.

I not an optics expert….. I only was paid to act like I was on weekends at gunstore events. I mostly did it for the stupid discounts I got on Leuplod glass. Now that I’m a poor price vs features is is my motivation.
I put the 18x on a rimfire for the wider field of view. Most will say magnifications like horsepower never can have too much.
I got a lot of good advice from those that have much more experience than I in the NRL22 XTR thread

Last edited:
a

SCR2 was built for the 30X also. I guess it's a touch thicker now since illumination was added, but it's a great reticle, and matched perfectly in the 30X version. Weight penalty is negligible as well. Only reason to not get it is because you really need the low end in the 3.3-18.

It's better to spend the difference now and have the magnification if you think you might want it in the future. In my experience it's really nice to have that extra power for seeing groups at 100-200 yards. 18x won't be a limitation for most target shooting at a distance, but sometimes it is nice being able to crank it up.
@Reformedcitykid This ^^^

Personally, I’m a magnification-whore. I like to be able to really zoom in close for 100-200 yard load development. And I’ve learned one thing about optics over all these years…

Think of scopes like an engine. Magnification is a lot like horsepower. It’s better to have it, and and need it… Then to need it, and not have it. 👍🏼

If you can spend the extra $150, go for it. I have the XTR-IIIi 5.5-30x56 SCR 2 MIL, and it’s quite exceptional. Right now it’s currently sitting on one of my coyote/target rifles. 16” Christensen Arms MPR chambered for 6mm ARC.

IMG_8875.jpeg

My main hunting rig wears a Kahles K318i 3.5-18x50, but I don’t target shoot with it, other than doing load development. It will do close range great with the 3.5x-10x, and can handle 1000+ yards no problem at 18x, and it has an exceptional field of view, even at max magnification.

IMG_7584.jpeg

IMG_7585.jpeg

Most of my hunting rifles are wearing Zeiss V4 6-24x50 scopes, because I rarely to never shoot anything inside of 100 yards, but occasionally step out to 500, and will use my scope for glassing at distance (instead of carrying binos with me), and the extra magnification is nice to have for that.

Last edited:
Definitely leaning towards the Burris XTR III 3.3-18 MIL now, thanks all for your input! If anyone knows someone selling a used one, feel free to send them my way!
The Meopta Optika 6 FFP RD illuminated MRAD 5-30x56 DEMO model at Euro Optic for $799.99 and free shipping is probably going to be the nicest sub $1000 high magnification glass you'll ever use if you're already used to Leupold glass. These typically sell for around $1250 elsewhere. They're comparable to the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 but are way cheaper. I personally have a difficult time using FFP scopes with low starting magnification at 3x - 4x due to their typical disappearing reticle syndrome during real world use. If I were to shop for a FFP useable scope starting at 3x magnification it would have to be a Meopta Optika 6 FFP 3-18x50 or 56 with MRAD1 reticle with horseshoe center or at least a Primary Arms with horseshoe center reticle for quick target acquisition at 3x. I get really frustrated and annoyed after buying lower starting magnification FFP scopes such as 3x and can't actually use them on their lower 1/3 to 1/2 of their actual magnification range wjen used for hunting. My next 3-18x scope will probably either be a SFP with BDC reticle and illuminated center dot or the mentioned Meopta or Primary Arms FFP withcenter horseshoe reticles.

@Reformedcitykid This ^^^

Personally, I’m a magnification-whore. I like to be able to really zoom in close for 100-200 yard load development. And I’ve learned one thing about optics over all these years…

Think of scopes like an engine. Magnification is a lot like horsepower. It’s better to have it, and and need it… Then to need it, and not have it. 👍🏼

If you can spend the extra $150, go for it. I have the XTR-IIIi 5.5-30x56 SCR 2 MIL, and it’s quite exceptional. Right now it’s currently sitting on one of my coyote/target rifles. 16” Christensen Arms MPR chambered for 6mm ARC.

View attachment 8157981

My main hunting rig wears a Kahles K318i 3.5-18x50, but I don’t target shoot with it, other than doing load development. It will do close range great with the 3.5x-10x, and can handle 1000+ yards no problem at 18x, and it has an exceptional field of view, even at max magnification.

View attachment 8157984
View attachment 8157985

Most of my hunting rifles are wearing Zeiss V4 6-24x60 scopes, because I rarely to never shoot anything inside of 100 yards, but occasionally step out to 500, and will use my scope for glassing at distance (instead of carrying binos with me), and the extra magnification is nice to have for that.
Beautiful rigs! Hopefully one day I can build them to similar quality. And be a good enough shooter to do them justice…

Circling back to this, anyone have any thoughts on Bushnell XRS & DMR Pro? Vs Burris?
I have an XTR3, an XRS3 and a DMR3. All three are excellent. Burris definitely beats both the Bushnells on Field of view. Both my particular Bushnells have better resolution than my Burris but it's not bad at all. I'd go with the one with the reticle you prefer. I really like the G4P, but a lot of people don't and the SCR2 is a really nice competition reticle.

I had an XRS3 as well and returned in favor of buying a 2nd XTR3. I've tried almost everything. For 1K, buy the XTR3i. For <2K the XTR Pro, or >2K the G3. I also had a ZCO and TT and they aren't worth the jump to me. And NF is ~1K overpriced for each tier,

Do not waste your money on Bushnell anything. I don't care how good people say they are...It's still a Bushnell.
Haha duly noted. Tbh despite all I’ve been hearing I’ve had that nagging feeling that I can’t get rid of that at the end of the day, like you said, it is Bushnell 😂

Haha duly noted. Tbh despite all I’ve been hearing I’ve had that nagging feeling that I can’t get rid of that at the end of the day, like you said, it is Bushnell 😂
Bro, just get the XTR-IIIi... You won't regret it. It's a great scope, especially if you can get it at the $1000 price tag. Throw it in a set of Low 34mm ARC M-Brace rings, and call it good. It will be a rock-solid setup.

Same setup I linked you to way back in Post #4. Unless you want the 5.5-30x56 SCR 2. Which is what I have. Great scope BTW, but maybe a little much for hunting. 3.3-18x50 would be fine for hunting and target shooting out to 1,000. 👍🏼

Last edited:
Bro, just get the XTR-IIIi... You won't regret it. It's a great scope, especially if you can get it at the $1000 price tag. Throw it in a set of Low 34mm ARC M-Brace rings, and call it good. It will be a rock-solid setup.

Same setup I linked you to way back in Post #4. Unless you want the 5.5-30x56 SCR 2. Which is what I have. Great scope BTW, but maybe a little much for hunting. 3.3-18x50 would be fine for hunting and target shooting out to 1,000. 👍🏼
Lol thank you, I needed that. Gonna get the XTR, not exploring any other options. I’ll report back once I’ve got it and put some rounds down range! Appreciate all your help @FuhQ and everyone else!