• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ADVICE & HELP ON NEW BUILD

BoltRunner

Cold Bore
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2014
Oklahoma
I would like some help and advice on a new build that I am thinking about and would prefer first hand experience if possible. I have a couple bolt action smith built rifles in 6.5mm, 7mm, 22lr and I am looking to build a Bolt Gun in 223 / 22-250 / 22 Creedmoor / 224 Valkyrie something along these lines or...? This will not be a Comp Rifle just a Fun Gun, I would like something that I can buy Brass ready to go and not have to fire form. What would you guys build to shoot 75gr - 90gr Bullets around 2,700 and Up that would have the best barrel life considering how hot it was run. I shoot a lot but not competitively so I don't want something that gets 900rds and the throat is toast. There are so many new rounds out that Im not sure where to start, really looking for help on the caliber and tying to find the best all around and yes I know that's asking a lot.

Im considering a barrel now for that same task.
A long throat 223 (or 223AI) or 224 Valkyrie are my front runners.

Are you shooting steel/paper or critters? (i'm thinking bullet selection/range/twist).

Just steel, I would like to have something I could go to 1,000 yds possibly, so maybe 75g - 90g bullets, good barrel life, easy reloading don't want to fire form and neck down cases I like to shoot too much don't want to spend the majority of my time behind the reloading bench. The components I already have picked out its the caliber that Im having trouble picking...

Just steel, I would like to have something I could go to 1,000 yds possibly, so maybe 75g - 90g bullets, good barrel life, easy reloading don't want to fire form and neck down cases I like to shoot too much don't want to spend the majority of my time behind the reloading bench. The components I already have picked out its the caliber that Im having trouble picking...
I’d still consider 223ai.
blowing out shoulders is easy peasy.

I hate complicated reloading as well but fire forming AI cases is child’s play.
ease of forming was designed into it.
No false shoulder or jammed bullets needed and it still shoots 223 factory ammunition well.