• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice Loading for the 5R Milspec Rem 700 308 Needed

smschulz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Houston, Texas USA
OK, pretty new in reloading.
So I just finished finding a decent load for one of my AR308 MA TEN's.
Now I move on to my Remington 700 5r Milspec and was shocked on how long the throat is.
It measured substantially longer than my gas guns by .102 to .140".
NO WAY would I b able to load close to the lands.
My jump on my gas gun loads are .025
I used the Hornady Stoney Point gauge tying SMK 168, 175 and VLD 175.

So the question is what is the best approach to getting an optimum load?
I would assume just load as long as will fit in my mags (Alpha) and just live with a long jump?
Any tips on what components works the best ~ I have a bunch of Lapua Brass, Varget, SMK's in 168, 175 and some VLD 175's.
I would gladly try other bullets if it is better.
or
I am better off with some gunsmith work, re-barrel or just live with it and use it as an excuse for a new custom rifle? :cool:
Thanks

Load mag length and don't worry about it too much. This is just how Remington's are.

All the credit goes to Two Shoes. He shared this load with me a few years ago. I have to move and put all my relaoding gear into storage for over a year. So I needed to load a bunch of stuff up all at one time that would last me over a year. -This load works well in several rifles. Everything from a stock PSS to a GAP Custom.

175 SMK
42.2-43.3 RL 15
Lapua Brass
2.810 OAL

the throat on most Rem rifles is notoriously long, my 5R's lands might as well be Elliot Ness.

That being said, I was shooting an OAL of 2.84, which shot okay. I sampled some loads at the recommended 2.80, and they actually improved.

I am shooting SMK's, which appear to not mind a jump at all.

My current load is:
Winchester Brass
FGMM primers
42.3gr IMR 8208 XBR
175 SMK's seated at 2.80 COAL.
Clocked right at 2610.

My 5R is anything but finicky: already described is my pet load (42 gr varget, 175 SMK, with book spec col). For 100 yard shots to stroke my ego I run 168's with 42 gr H4895 again book col. I've had ragged holes with this load. I fiddled with minor jump adjustments and they didn't do anything for me. Load. Shoot. Repeat. Oh, and enjoy your rifle!

175 smk
Varget 42-42.8
Lapua brass
Fed210m
2.86 oal

Really? I'm new to reloading to; but at 43.7 at mag length I show no pressure signs and have amazing groups. I'm running Hornady brass which might be the culprit. But that seems rather low for a powder charge. Please let me know if I'm stupid, because I'm in a hard core learning mode at the moment. Also, I shoot 178gn AMAX's.

Really? I'm new to reloading to; but at 43.7 at mag length I show no pressure signs and have amazing groups. I'm running Hornady brass which might be the culprit. But that seems rather low for a powder charge. Please let me know if I'm stupid, because I'm in a hard core learning mode at the moment. Also, I shoot 178gn AMAX's.

If you search through the reloading forum, you'll see guys that run Varget in a .308 much hotter than this. Whatever works for you and your gun. (Note that I too am at 42 gr with a 175 SMK) If you're happy with that load, by all means stick to it!

One day I took my 5-R to the range with a batch of ammo, each group of 5 rounds loaded in .005" greater increments starting at 2.800. The rifle shoot sub .3 MOA using 2.800" OAL, I was just looking for better. The result was -------nothing. Same results at 2.845" as at 2.800".

The only bullet I have been able to get improved results by reaching out to the lands was the Berger 185gr Juggernaut. Shooting this bullet I got a "cloverleaf" group at 300 yards and was still able to have more than enough bullet in the case neck.

The history of the 5-R Milspec indicates that the whole barrel, rifling, chamber, freebore, etc, was optimized for the M-118LR. All that extra freebore allows for some higher pressure loads if desired.

As for MY pet load, it's 43.5 gr of Varget, Lapua Case, BR-2 Primer, and Nosler 175gr Custom Comp @2.800" OAL. It just performs the same, day after day, and fits in the internal magazine with no feeding issues whatever.

175 smk
LC or fed brass
42.8 RL -15
210n
2.81-2
2625 fps outta 22" shilen