• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice Needed; Athlon Cronus BTR vs. Vortex Viper PST

timmkish

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2020
Read the sticky and did some searching through the forums but figured this question is specific enough to warrant a thread.

The basics:

• What is the platform for the scope? Bolt Action Bergara HMR Pro
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 300 WM
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Primary: Hunting (Mid-Long Range Big Game); Secondary: Target & Steel (Same Ranges)
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? All
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? Estimate 200-500 yards for hunting; 100-1000 for range
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? MIL, FFP
  • What is the price range you can afford? Sub $1500
I believe I've narrowed it down to two scopes...both I can find at a good sales price. But the Athlon is a few hundred more...dollars which I can use for a quality mount, rings, etc. But a big fan of buy once cry once. Bottom Line is will I have regrets going with the 'cheaper' Vortex?
Option 1: Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 EBR-2D MRAD (FFP) PST-5257
Option 2: Athlon Optics Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 Black - APRS FFP IR MIL

Thanks everyone and happy new year.

I have the PST Gen 2. It's a great scope for what it is, and I'm very happy with it. That said, I bought it lightly used for a great price, and I got what I paid for. The glass is good, but not great. I've taken it out to 1000 yards and didn't have any trouble, but the glass is not as good as other glass I've used. It tracks pretty well. For what I paid for it was worth it, but for full retail price, I would be looking elsewhere.

The Athlon Cronus routinely gets incredible reviews for the money and is one of the scopes on my short list to replace the PST Gen 2 when I upgrade. Full Disclosure, I have not time behind one, but while I the PST Gen 2 gets mixed reviews (from "great scope" to "it's ok for the money"), the Cronus BTR gets almost universal praise for quality and value.

There are a lot of very good scopes in that range. For me I look for a 34mm tube in FFP with the most magnification and most travel in the turret I can get. For the mount I much prefer a 1 piece mount over rings. I have 2 Vortex and when I dropped mine they fixed and returned it in just over 1 week.
I just looked at the Optics for sale and there are some 4.5x27 Vortex with rings for $1800. You may want to take a look and save some money that way.. Good luck

I have never been impressed with the 2 PST G2s I have owned. My Cronus has been worlds better and I can highly recommend it.

I have three cronus btr's, they're great scopes, but for hunting I prefer the Bushnell with the G2H reticle, the camera land link is a good deal too for the G3 reticle. If you're going to get the cronus get the floating cross as I believe it's easier to see when hunting.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/bushn...363b-0138-8be7-00163ecd2826?variation=2153237.

Cameraland has them on sale too, https://cameralandny.com/shop/bushn...363b-0138-8be7-00163ecd2826?variation=2153237
Nice recommendation...have you taken that Bushnell particular to the range? The upper limit on magnification would be the one thing that would hold me back.

I've got a Bushnell XRS II on my MPA, and it's a great optic.

Nice recommendation...have you taken that Bushnell particular to the range? The upper limit on magnification would be the one thing that would hold me back.

That won't hold you back, my best score on a long range match out to 1K was at 12x due the the mirage from the summer heat. Couldn't really see the targets at high magnifications. I actually use max power at 100 yards more than I do at distance. On a cool clear day I'll use max power at distance but I'm usually lower, 18X won't hinder you. I had a 3.5-21 bushnell with that reticle, it's a nice reticle, easy to read, isn't crowded.
The cronus with the floating cross still works well at low magnification with the illumination.

I've run both and the Cronus BTR is by far the better optic. Only complaint is slightly spongy turrets. But the glass was on par with my gen2 razor. Fantastic for the money.

I bought that exact scope (the LRTS) this week from Camera Land for a new gas gun. Great deal.

If you're ok with the lower top end magnification it's a great option. I was actually thinking I was in your same boat (another PST Gen 2 or the Cronus), but since I didn't need the extra magnification, I went with the Busnell.

1) Thanks for the comments on that Vortex...it seems like everything I've read re: that scope is that it is hit or miss on customer satisfaction and Vortex has to work hard to keep buyers happy.
2) Appreciate the recommendation on the Bushnell. That one wasn't on my radar but now it's a solid contender...especially at CameraLand's price.

I have ran both and would take the Cronus over the PST Gen II every time without question.

May I throw the Brownells MPO into the mix-
Based on the reviews i'd seen for the 3-18, from Ilya amongst others, I ordered the 5-25 and it's not half a bad scope for $899- it's rock solid, the turrets feel good- clear definitive clicks and no wobble- the glass is very good and the reticle is clear and usable throughout the mag range- There some CA visible at the top end, but its not distracting. Eyebox is good too.

I was a recipient of the awesome customer service that vortex offers. With a 66% fail rate on my PST’s for parallax and tracking issues

My Cronus BTR is more on par with my NF ATACR. Awesome optic. I have mine on a 300 WM as well
2CFD94D4-3A55-46E0-B1F0-D3AFCE8D96DF.jpeg

I have a Cronus BTR on my Bergara HMR PRO 6.5 CM, ordered another for my Bergara B14R Carbon.

Between a buddy and I we've had 3 PST gen 1 and 3 PST Gen 2s over the past 8 or so years and never had an issue with any of them.

I've never used a Cronus but have a Delta Stryker which is basically the same thing.
The glass in the Cronus/Delta is/will be better than the PST as far as clarity and resolution goes but the PST Gen 2 has a considerably better FOV.
Neither have locking turrets and both reticles are very similar in design.

I really like the Gen 2 PST, in many ways I feel it holds it's own against my Delta Stryker but for the price you can get a Cronus for from Cameraland it's probably the better deal unless you were particularly wanting to save weight or the 30mm tube for some reason.

If I recall correctly, aren’t these scopes about $350 apart? That is a pretty big difference for an apples to apples comparison. That said, I own the Vortex you referenced, and it has done well by me, with no issues to report.

If you are seriously comparing the PST Gen II to the Cronus BTR, The Cronus is in a fundamentally higher class.. Both are great scopes.

IMO, you have to check for yourself these things to make your choice:
-color rendering through the optic, preferably outside
-turrets....feel, clicks, volume, zero stop adjust, ease of dialing 1000 yd dope, windage: capped, locked, stiffness, how you want
-reticle: can you use it, consider some realistic dope, shooting at center point, low power view, high power view, range of magnification you can use the reticle.
- size and weight

I don't think these 2 are really comparable. Of the 2, I'd say the Athlon though since it's a larger lens, larger tube, better glass.

Agree the Vortex PST2 is not in the same class as the Cronus. If Bushnell is on the radar, it is pretty hard to beat these current deals at Midway.
Both of these smoke the PST2, and are on par with the Cronus to my eye.

I've got the cronus btr 4.5-29x56 on 7mm rem mag and .300 wm. Love that scope! With a 20 moa rail I have enough elevation to get past 1600 yards with no hold over.

I’d skip the pst as it’s not in the Cronus and Razor range.
You can’t go wrong with those two.
Excellent value and performance.
I have a Cronus on a 45 moa rail for my 7 saum, it’s been up and down the dial countless times and has amazing glass for the price(especially current sales!)

B4AB2A5A-3636-4211-85B7-308AFE9B0BB0.jpeg

Reactions: Big Bo
Thanks for the replies...and yes, to clear up the confusion, I wasn't putting the two scopes in the same class. Was just trying to figure out for the extra $$$ am I really getting significantly more bang for my buck. Which looks like the answer is 'Yes'.

I ended up going with a Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS 4.5-18x44mm from Camera Land.