• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice needed - CZ build options

Pester

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2012
Northern CA
Hey folks, I need some advice after trying to see if this has already been asked.

Looking at doing a build and was trying to choose between the 455 American and the 455 varmint. Called Vz and one of the good folks there mentioned that if I get the 455 American with the Synthetic stock that the 455 22lr FLUTED and the 455 17hmr FLUTED will slide right in with no issues. His case is that you essentially get 3 rifles for a couple of barrel purchases and the accuracy is excellent.

The original plan was to go with the 455 varmint in 22lr and then look at getting the 17 hmr barrel later as funds allow. Would like to use it as a part time trainer and part time plinker.

Or is the whole barrel swap thing a bad idea?

What kind of accuracy do you want or are expecting? Is having the ability to switch calibers a must or? If using it just for plinking and training purposes, the varmint, tacticool, or precision trainer are all good choices.

Switching is not a must but it would be nice to use 22lr for practice and the 17 hmr for plickin'. Accuracy would be great but I am not going to compete. Is there a noticable loss of accuracy with swapping barrels like that?

The 455 American's barrel tapers doesn't it? I think the Varmint barrels are a straight cylinder profile so your original American stock would need to be opened up. Or are you thinking about accessory American barrels?
I've got the 455 Precision Trainer. I bought it as a .22 LR and later got the .17 HMR barrel. It's not difficult to switch barrels but I leave it as a .17 because it better suits my needs.
I'll eventually post the factory-supplied Manners T4 for sale so heads up if you do get the American.

For hunting and plinking purposes with bulk, or low cost per round ammo,
the factory CZ barrels are more than adequate. You want something a bit better,
get a Lilja barrel for your 455, but then to be able to take advantage of the
accuracy provided by the match grade barrel you'll have to use more expensive
match grade ammo. The 455 American is a decent sporter for small game.
The 455 Varmint in 22 wmr or 17 hmr is fine for vermin control out to about 125 yards.
If I had to start over, I'd get a 455 precision trainer in 22 wmr, and purchase a bull barrel 22lr Lilja
and 17 hmr Lilja. That'd give me about the best setup that CZ offers in rimfire.
But then I'm always swapping barrels to fit the days activities.

cz455liljaV.JPG

swapping-parts.JPG

Last edited:
The 455 American's barrel tapers doesn't it? I think the Varmint barrels are a straight cylinder profile so your original American stock would need to be opened up. Or are you thinking about accessory American barrels?
I've got the 455 Precision Trainer. I bought it as a .22 LR and later got the .17 HMR barrel. It's not difficult to switch barrels but I leave it as a .17 because it better suits my needs.
I'll eventually post the factory-supplied Manners T4 for sale so heads up if you do get the American.

Why sell the manners stock? I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for that!

Justin
that is what i did cz455p 22 mag, lilja 22lr match barrel. still cost will run up fast.
Pester any of the wood stock option IMO would be better.
for what you are asking it to do cant go wrong with a cz
just keep it in factory trim (need a trigger job or aftermaket) change the stock later if not happy with the factory one
shoot the hell out of it an enjoy