• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice needed on full BCG or Just Bolt.

Kouki

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2011
NM
Im starting my first ground up AR15 build and I seek some advice. My upper and Lower is Black Rain, and Id like to also go with a Black Rain Nickel Boron BCG.

For my build I want to do a 18" SPR or Bull/Match Barrel. I want the best accuracy possible.

Here is my question. Will going with the full Black Rain BCG then mating it to say a 18" Krieger/Douglas/White Oak barrel and not matching the bolt hurt accuracy much?

Even if I have to buy one of their matched bolts to their barrels I will do it, and swap it into the Black Rain carrier group. Id just like to avoid pulling the black rain bolt because it was not matched together.

Im just seeing if a new BCG mated to a new Higher end barrel will cause any complications?

Re: Advice needed on full BCG or Just Bolt.

You'll be fine. Matching bolts aren't matched in the sense of, say, serialized scope rings. All that means is headspace was checked with that particular bolt/barrel combo before shipping out. I've yet to see a quality bolt/barrel combo that didn't headspace correctly. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, and it might be a good idea to check with a go/no-go gauge before firing, but unless you have really bad luck, you won't have an issue.

On the other hand, I have no experience with NiB bolts, so they might be more finicky on headspacing. The smart move would be to get the headspace checked.

I believe you could send your bolt in to most barrel makers and they will make sure your bolt headspaces to the barrel. I have always checked the headspace on barrels I installed and can't advise not checking, but have not yet had one that didn't headpiece properly.

Order a go, no go gauge set from midway and always have the tools to check headspace yourself. As for an accuracy loss, no it should not effect accuracy adversely at all.

For £50.00 WOA will send you a bolt matched to the barrel you buy from them. Just pop out the existing bolt and put the new one in the carrier.

+1 on ALWAYS checking headspace - even with quality components. Unless your sight/face/life isn't worth $30.00 to you and yours?

Or get your build checked over by a competent smith before you go putting ammo through it....

Thank you to everyone that has helped. I will def order a head space gauge. I might just send my bolt face to white oak as well so they can space it for me.