• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice needed on OCW test

SJshooter

BTM FDR
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2011
Maryland
picasaweb.google.com
Thanks for looking. I welcome any advice.

These were 55gr Hornady FMJs loaded with IMR 4064 to OAL of 2.280

I'm thinking there's a node around either 23 or around 23.6?

What do you suggest I do for the next set of testing?

*** Note: these were all fired round robin, and several of the fliers were in the same round... which is probably a combination of sun in my eyes and poor technique.
TgtGfx.jpg

Re: Advice needed on OCW test

Choose the accuracy node(s) and load the same charge and load charges 1% above and 1% below then shoot at longer distances. This will help identify which node is more accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

*** Note: these were all fired round robin, and several of the fliers were in the same round... which is probably a combination of sun in my eyes and poor technique.
</div></div>

My first advice is to resolve those issues permantly.

Seriously.........

Not being a smartass but why are you using IMR4064?
I could almost understand if you were shooting heavies single loaded. Try a bit faster powder like Varget or H335, H4895, XBR-8208. They are a bit better suited to your bullet weight

Are you allowing your barrel to cool down between shots and cleaning your barrel every 15-20 shots?

What's that group in the top right corner? If I had to pick one, I would probably say 23.0, but I recommend reshooting the test on a better day. Make each shot perfect.

I started with a fouled barrel and no, I fired all the rounds in a set one immediately after the other. After 6 I changed mag and repeated 2 more times.

Should I change this process?

Here's my thoughts, If you feel like you may be inconsistent in any way with your shooting especially when doing load development,
then load 5 rounds for each charge weight so that if you have a flyer at least there's 4 others to determine the results.

Five shot groups really are a better test for the average shooter. I don't mean average as anything bad but I'm sure there are guys who do one shot OCW's and have fine results, Not me.

Beside for this test it would of only added an additional 12 bullets and would of given you much more useable info for determining your results.

Good Luck

I agree with AtOne, a 5 shot group can really help eliminate shooter error/fliers. If 4 are grouped nicely and one is off, its time to blame myself, not the gun.

When I shoot my AR for groups I like to load one in the mag at a time. Take my time, shoot the round, sit back for 20-30 seconds to let my eyes rest... Pull the mag, load the next round, then repeat... This allows about 1 minute between shots. Does this aid in barrel cooling, no, but it is a set consistent process that is very repeatable. It also keeps your eyes and body from becoming fatigued.

It may be worth trying... Slow, steady and methodical.

It looks like you are off to a great start, if I picked one of the above groups it would be 23.0