• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Advice Needed On Scope For .223...

Stranded Yank

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2012
I am putting together a rifle for my two sons to use as an 'XC' rifle. It will be built on a Remington M700 SPS Tactical in .223 with a 1:9 twist 20' barrel. 90% of the use of this rifle will be inside 600M, but shooting out to 1000M will not be uncommon. I need a bit of advice on optics... here a few parameters...

Nothing made in China... don't mention it... don't ask why.... simply off limits... prefer US or German origin... will consider Japan.

Budget of $1500max... prefer to stay under $1000... happy to consider a high-quality second-hand option...

Must be Front Focal Plane if discussing variable power scope...

Must have Mil reticle and Mil adjustments...

Needs to reasonably lightweight and compact as this rifle will be used by a 12 year old...

The reticle needs to be simple and effective and easily used as a learning tool for my sons in ranging... along the lines of a simple Mil-Dot reticle.

15x is plenty of magnification, and I was considering a 10X as a simple solution.

At the moment, a Leupold M4 3.5-10x or 4.5-14x with M5 turrets and a Mil-Dot reticle seems like a good option. Another option is a USO ST-10.

I have been away from the shooting scene as a gear buyer for over 15 years and in the interim it seems that everyone has tried to jump into the tactical scope market. I am familiar with old tried and true brands... Leupold, Schmidt & Bender, Steiner, Premier, Zeiss, Hensoldt, Unertl and etc. Many of newcomers are not forthcoming with the origin of their wares, so I am hesitant to include them on my list of possible options.

I much prefer a $2000 scope on a $500 rifle... I tend to buy optics for life... my Swarovski binoculars have been one of the better investments that I made 25 years ago.

Thanks!

Re: Advice Needed On Scope For .223...

Honestly, I recommend this Vortex PST, and that's not because I own one or because that's all I can afford. I currently have a Schmidt and Bender on my rifle if that shows my taste, but this Vortex is one hell of a scope at any price range up to $1,400....and it costs $900 MSRP. It's light, it tracks true, and the glass is damn good to be around $800. (I know because I have owned one before, and my friend has one sitting on top of his AIAW because he doesn't want to get rid of it) This is just my opinion, but it's what I would do.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Vortex line of scopes, I have read good things about them, but I have not been able to find out where their scopes are made. I am slightly concerned about the reported small eye-box on these at high-magnification, since it will be used by the boys and fitting them to a rifle/scope combination is bundle of compromises. Also the Vortex reticles seemed a bit complex and overly busy. But the price is right.

The Bushnell HDMR has caught my eye as well, although a max of 21x seems abit excessive.

Thanks!

I have a Leupold 3.5-10x40 TMR with M5 turrets on my .223 and I believe it is a very good fit for what I use it for.

It is normally shot out to 500m but I have shot it to 1000m and did not have an issue when I had a spotter to help out every once in a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stranded Yank</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the heads-up on the Vortex line of scopes, I have read good things about them, but I have not been able to find out where their scopes are made. I am slightly concerned about the reported small eye-box on these at high-magnification, since it will be used by the boys and fitting them to a rifle/scope combination is bundle of compromises. Also the Vortex reticles seemed a bit complex and overly busy. But the price is right.

The Bushnell HDMR has caught my eye as well, although a max of 21x seems abit excessive.

Thanks! </div></div>

I'm not sure where the glass comes from(not china) but they are assembled in the Philippines. Now, I did seem a little wary when I first got it but I can guarantee you will not be disappointed with its performance. Also, if anything comes up wrong with the scope, Vortexs customer service is top notch, and they will set you straight quickly. The eye box wasn't too small on 24x version, and I don't find the reticle to be busy at all. The small hashes are half a mil and the larger hashes are a full mil. If you think that's busy then you will hate the HDMR G2 and Tremor reticles. Just my .02

"1,000 meters not uncommon" I can assure you that is uncommon for .223, especially for 12 years of age. Best I can do is 600 or 800 with little wind. And 800 is a crap shoot for me with on/off wind.

I'd get them a high end fixed 10. Their eyes are great usually.

1000 yards is not that hard or uncommon for a .223. It's a little more challenging, but the elevation need for a 1000 yard shoot is only about 12-13 mils...considering my .308 usually needs around 11 mils, that's not bad at all. In fact, we have a competition down here that has a specific 1000 yard .223 class. The wind effects it a lot more, and the bullet goes subsonic almost at 990 yards, but the shots aren't extremely challenging.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1000 yards is not that hard or uncommon for a .223. It's a little more challenging, but the elevation need for a 1000 yard shoot is only about 12-13 mils...considering my .308 usually needs around 11 mils, that's not bad at all. In fact, we have a competition down here that has a specific 1000 yard .223 class. The wind effects it a lot more, and the bullet goes subsonic almost at 990 yards, but the shots aren't extremely challenging. </div></div>

I'm no expert, but I'm still saying for your average 12 yr old, "not common". But it really doesn't matter, he wants a good scope and wants to shoot 1000, very cool. My 13 yr old shot and Elk at 425 yards. Some People used to consider that too long. I do know ths, sit them behind a gun and say squeeze, and they will send it.