• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice On 308 Rifle

PearlWhiteGT

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas
Looking for some advice on getting my first 308 bolt rifle. This rifle will serve as my hunting rig for deer and hogs down here in South Texas. I don't want some super lite rifle since all my hunting is either from a hunting blind or on a bipod. Looking for 20" barrel and threaded to run a can. Won't be shooting long distance, most of my hunting shots are less than 300 yards. Smooth action with great accuracy and good weight is what I'm after. Will be shooting factory hunting loads as well. I'd like to stay under the $1200 range, the cheaper the better though. Been looking at Tikka T3X and Savage 110 Rifles. Looked at the Remington 700 SPS Tactical as well but not too sure on how well they are. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Have you handled and cycled the rifles you are considering? If you have, that will and should be a big determining factor. Not hard to get an accurate hunting rifle for your needs.

Looking for some advice on getting my first 308 bolt rifle. This rifle will serve as my hunting rig for deer and hogs down here in South Texas. I don't want some super lite rifle since all my hunting is either from a hunting blind or on a bipod. Looking for 20" barrel and threaded to run a can. Won't be shooting long distance, most of my hunting shots are less than 300 yards. Smooth action with great accuracy and good weight is what I'm after. Will be shooting factory hunting loads as well. I'd like to stay under the $1200 range, the cheaper the better though. Been looking at Tikka T3X and Savage 110 Rifles. Looked at the Remington 700 SPS Tactical as well but not too sure on how well they are. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The tikka ctr 20" 308 I had was fantastic. Smooth action good factory trigger shot tiny groups. The ruger american predator is a great budget option but the action and trigger aren't in the same league as the tikka. You would get the same use out of it though and they retail for 500 bucks or some other super cheap number.

Here’s a great start for building off of…
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...tte+blued+rec+barrel+ghillie+green+fixed+hogu

Or, if you want an out of the box shooter… I have one of these, and it loves the heavy 210gr. bullets.

IMG_7832.jpeg
IMG_7835.jpeg
IMG_7833.jpeg
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-04-30 15:54:56.390625.jpg

If you can find an FN SPR, they are fantastic rifles. They obviously don't get much love here but the action is butter smooth and an overall reliable rifle. I've linked one down below.

Screenshot_20231122_203619_Gallery.jpg

That is my spr with a south texas hog.

There may be more in the PX if you look.

Outside of FN SPR rifles, i would go with Tikka or Howa 1500.

And this is my howa 1500 with a south texas deer.

Screenshot_20231122_203601_Gallery.jpg

So I use my rifles similar to how you want to use yours.

Another plus for the CTR is the 10 round fairly compact magazine. Which is in my gun pictured above

I owned a FN SPR A5 as well. The Tikka trigger is much nicer and adjustable lower with a simple $10 spring. The accuracy of the Tikka is also better than my FN was. If dropped in a bravo chassis the Tikka gets my vote. Otherwise the FN stock is nicer than the factory one on the Tikka

1700707559296.png

Or if that is too rich for your blood

1700707684385.png

And if money really is an issue
1700707798235.png

Thanks fellas. Brownells has the Howa barreled actions on sale for under $400. Would that be something to consider or just go with the Tikka T3X CTR and call it a day?

I would definitely get the Howa. And if you do, you can also jump in on MDT black Friday day sales today and put together a rifle for very cheap.

Thanks fellas. Brownells has the Howa barreled actions on sale for under $400. Would that be something to consider or just go with the Tikka T3X CTR and call it a day?
Depending on your budget and want to say that you partially built your rifle, then I would go this route, which I have done myself. The Howa barreled actions are nice and never had one shoot over 1 inch moa. There is allot of aftermarket support for them as well now.

As for a chassis for it, I would go with a KRG Bravo, the MDT Oryx is very utilitarian and does not have as many options for the price over the KRG (KRG is cheaper). Tactical Works has bolt on bolt knobs for and a few other accessories for Howa's. With either chassis, you will be able to use AICS style mags, like the plastic ones that Magpul makes.

If you have the budget for a Tikia CTR and KRG Bravo chassis, then I would go this route. The Tikia action is smooth as glass and they shoot really well out of the box, but the stock on them is not the best, and allot of the time they get replaced.

Another option for both actions is the MDT XRS chassis, it's about 150$ more than the KRG Bravo.

Depending on your budget and want to say that you partially built your rifle, then I would go this route, which I have done myself. The Howa barreled actions are nice and never had one shoot over 1 inch moa. There is allot of aftermarket support for them as well now.

As for a chassis for it, I would go with a KRG Bravo, the MDT Oryx is very utilitarian and does not have as many options for the price over the KRG (KRG is cheaper). Tactical Works has bolt on bolt knobs for and a few other accessories for Howa's. With either chassis, you will be able to use AICS style mags, like the plastic ones that Magpul makes.

If you have the budget for a Tikia CTR and KRG Bravo chassis, then I would go this route. The Tikia action is smooth as glass and they shoot really well out of the box, but the stock on them is not the best, and allot of the time they get replaced.

Another option for both actions is the MDT XRS chassis, it's about 150$ more than the KRG Bravo.
I second this FWIW.

I forget which site, but I saw a Solus barreled action in a Bravo chassis in this price range. It would be something you could build on later if you wanted.

Reactions: Lightning8
I forget which site, but I saw a Solus barreled action in a Bravo chassis in this price range. It would be something you could build on later if you wanted.
That would be PVA, which is a supported vender on the Hide. The post about the sale is in the commercial forums section, which is a good place to get info on the grate deals that are going on with the venders that support the Hide.

Reactions: Gwak2006

Probably closer to $1500-1600 once you add a trigger.

Certainly a decent option if the budget can be stretched a bit. If not, Tikka CTR.

Where did you find this? I can't find it but I'm in Canada
It's from MDT's mailing add emails. If you want it, either sign up to their mailing list or PM me and I will forward it to you.

PearlWhiteGT said:
Is the Howa barreled action a drop in on any chassis or requires skilled work to match them together?
It is a drop in for most modern chassis and stocks nowadays, you just need to buy the chassis/stock with the correct receiver inlet and torque to the manufacture's specs. The only time you have to do bedding or rework, is when you're working with wood, polymer or a semi-finished inlet stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taylorbok
Had exceptional luck with Weatherby Vanguard. Priced from ridiculous to just below your budget. Using a Howa action, they have decent triggers, and shoot well above their weight class for accuracy.

Reactions: Cr1775
If you go the CTR/Bravo route get the KRG Bravo that feeds from the factory CTR 10 round mags

Any particular reason why to go with the CTR mags?
I think they feed smoother than any AICS setup I’ve used. Without any feed lip mods needed.

Biggest reason however is the 10 round double stack center feed mag of the ctr. Much like a AI AW mag. Hold 10 rounds in a mag the size of a 5 round AICS mag. The 10 round AICS mags are much longer

I have a pile of AICS mags. After running my AIAT with AW mags I opted for the CTR mags in my bravo. I would never go back to the AICS if I built another CTR/Bravo combo

Only down side is the cost of the mags. But the ctr comes with one mag and that’s what I use. I don’t need an extra mag for that this gun is used for. If you want 10 extra mags then it will get expensive with the ctr mags

Here’s a 10 round CTR mag next to a 10 round AICS Magpul for reference
IMG_6009.jpeg

Reactions: PearlWhiteGT
Of those options and what you’re doing with it I’d get the SPS tactical threaded with the 16.5” barrel. They’re good rifles aside from the shitty hogue stock but that’s easy enough to remedy with a KRG bravo.

Of those options and what you’re doing with it I’d get the SPS tactical threaded with the 16.5” barrel. They’re good rifles aside from the shitty hogue stock but that’s easy enough to remedy with a KRG bravo.
Curious why the SPS versus the other models referenced?

Curious why the SPS versus the other models referenced?

Well the Savage is a POS so just cross that one off.

700 has better aftermarket support than Tikka by far and a factory 16.5” threaded barrel option for hunting from a blind for deer and hogs beats a 20” CTR which would be the closest comparable option.

Reactions: mrtoyz
Well the Savage is a POS so just cross that one off.

700 has better aftermarket support than Tikka by far and a factory 16.5” threaded barrel option for hunting from a blind for deer and hogs beats a 20” CTR which would be the closest comparable option.
@redneckbmxer24

Since you are recommending the SPS Tactical for the OP, I'd like to ask what you think of this new production RemArms: LE 700 Police Fluted (available elsewhere) Ticks a lot of the OP's (and my) boxes.

@redneckbmxer24

Since you are recommending the SPS Tactical for the OP, I'd like to ask what you think of this new production RemArms: LE 700 Police Fluted (available elsewhere) Ticks a lot of the OP's (and my) boxes.

I would 100% buy a new Remington if it fits the bill, the quality on the new ones are great. The SPS tacs can be had for about $750 OTD though so I wouldn’t pay more than $200 or so over what they cost to get the LTR since you’re basically just paying for the stock upgrade. At that point you’d be better off putting it in a KRG or something and getting DBM and such too.