• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on 7 mm WSM

desertHK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2008
AZ
I am putting together a 7 mm WSM project. What is the best way to get a sub MOA 7 mm WSM? Since Remington doesn't make 7mm WSM, is it better to get a 300 WSM action and then build from there? or Should I go with another manufacturer? I prefer to stay with the Remmy since there are more aftermarket parts to "pimp it up". What other action would you consider ? Thank you for you help.

Re: Advice on 7 mm WSM

While remington may not make a 7 wsm, they do make a 300 WSM which is a barrel away from your goal.

Are you looking to build a custom or polish a turd?--er I mean spruce up a factory barrelled action--in which case you would probably be pissing in the wind.

I would agree that the easiest time you will have is to find the cheapest Remmy 300WSM (i.e. SPS) and have a compitent gunsmith rebarrel while truing up the rest of the action.

What Scout said take one Remington short action one PTG magnum bolt( if action is not alreay magnum).Send it to a competent smith or better yet cal GAP and I think George will sell you a complete barreled action with a Gap action bartlein barrel and remington trigger all done for around $1600.Add your stock choice and bottom metal and your done right.

I second a call to GAP would be prudent. I have a 7 WSM from them and its a shooter with almost any round I load. Excellent choice in a round.

Lawton Model 7000. By the time you have a Remington trued and then buy a PTG bolt you can buy a action that sets in a Remington model 700 stock accepts all model 700 triggers and save money. Plus it wont need trued. The only machining will be needed is a small notch in front of the action that will allow a live round to eject.

Brougton barrel its the brand Ive got on mine and they build a exceptional .284 bore barrel.

Mcmillan or Manners stock - your choice.

Jewell Trigger or a tuned Remington factory unit.

61.5gr H4831, 210m primer, 180gr Berger and it will probley shoot 1/4moa with of course the right shooter behind it.

If I were building a 7WSM it would be on a Long action!!!

So you can seat the 180's out past the neck shoulder junction.I think somebody is making a longer mag/bottom metal for the WSM's now so you can get the full potential out of a repeater.

That Lawton 7500 or Gap/Templar LA's would be the cats meow.

Remember that to insure top accuracy performance the Rem 700 has to be gunsmithed up.So you will have spent as much or more in the end compared to a custom action.

i keep hearing "you will spend as much truing a R700 as buying a custom.

my smith charges $250 for truing and barreling an R700. add $300 for a pawn shop Remington and $300 for a barrel, and i have $850 into a trued, barreled R700.

that's about what the custom action alone will run you.

You dont need a long action to shoot 180vlds. My friend has a GAP crusader and he uses 180vld and they are about 50 thousands off of the lands and we shoot his at 1/4 moa.

I can easily run 180s from a S/A 700, M5 DBM combo. I made a dummy cartridge and had a reamer ground accordingly.

1Sik,

I agree completely.

With the Lawton you also get a tactcal bolt knob, and a cool looking fluted bolt. Also $250 is very cheap for truing a Remington action and chambering and installing the barrel. Most smith run 250 for truing and another 200-250 for chambering and installing the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also $250 is very cheap for truing a Remington action and chambering and installing the barrel. Most smith run 250 for truing and another 200-250 for chambering and installing the barrel. </div></div>

Not really... Shop around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i keep hearing "you will spend as much truing a R700 as buying a custom.

my smith charges $250 for truing and barreling an R700. add $300 for a pawn shop Remington and $300 for a barrel, and i have $850 into a trued, barreled R700.

that's about what the custom action alone will run you.
</div></div>

what exactly does your smith "true" for $250 including barreling? i would guess that is real close to what most smiths would charge just for barreling alone.

edit: i replied before i saw there was a second page. looks like it has been covered.

I like to spend my money on people who I know is going to do a great job the first time.

Ive got a 270 winchester that a local smith "trued" and the machining work doesnt even come close to what I got from Jered. The gun shoots on par with a factory barreled ADL. BTW it also wears a Mgowen barrel.

yes, there are other perks to having a custom (and Lawton is on my list of must-haves)

but truing a 700 is not too tough.

and i could truly care less about tactical bolt knobs.

the truing includes whatever smiths do and to be honest, i don't care what he does as long as it shoots. and they do. i send a good recoil lug, an action, and a barrel, and have not been disapointed with the results. he competes in LR matches.

and if you doubt my ability to know crap from the good shit, stop by to shoot sometime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like to spend my money on people who I know is going to do a great job the first time.

</div></div>

Same here....

Im using a 700 long action. I found on with a maganum bolt face for $375. With a long action you dont have to set the bullets deep in the case, you can load them out where they need to be. I talked with my gunsmith quite awhile on this and thats the action he built his on.

A Remington can be made better than a custom with the right gunsmith. Whos to say that a custom action will not need some work.. It does happen from time to time.

The dilema that I have is whether to go with the custom action vs. a Remmy action. If I am going to go with the 300 WSM and then changing the barrel, certainly, I am going to send it to GAP.

If you plan on using the long, heavy bullets in the WSM, and getting all the goody out of it, I would suggest using something other than a standard Rem SA...unless the plan also includes a mag box modification or a detach mag configuration.

A Model 70 action is 250% stiffer than a Remington 700 action. My choice every time.

Check out SUGEON ARMS, they have one buit and ready to ship. I have one very similar to the one that is for sale, and I love it. I'm shooting 2990fps with 61.5gr of RL 17 and 3020 w/62gr of RL 17 and fed. 215m primers, H4831 65.5gr and 215m is a very good load also. I am seating the 180gr VLDs COL @2.940"

Although I currently run my 7WSM off of a Surgeon SA, and it can mag feed in that configuration (with an OAL of 2.90"), I agrre with Steve123 and would go long action for maximum performance form the 7WSM in magfed configuration (OAL of 3.166"), especially with the Berger 180s.

Some of the newer WSM actions can also get you to teh promised land, with the longer throat opportunity.

JeffVN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can easily run 180s from a S/A 700, M5 DBM combo. I made a dummy cartridge and had a reamer ground accordingly.

1Sik,

I agree completely. </div></div>

Can I borrow that reamer
grin.gif

Look into the Stiller Predator action, the short action has a larger magazine cutout than a normal Remington action, then take a look at the new WSM DBM from Seekins Precision, also larger than most standard mags. Put these together and you should be able to run short mags with an OAL in the 3.00" range, plenty of room for the long 180's. I believe Surgeon also makes an action just for the short mags that also has a larger magazine cutout.

I'm running the Berger 180 at 2.950 in two 7WSM. One a Lawton 7000 from Gap in an AICS stock with modded mags, and the other in a FN-SPR, Broughton, with CDI DBM. Both run the Bergers just fine, I have more round capacity in my mags than if I had went with the LA, and running them at 2940-2950 with no problem. Don't see an issue with running them in a SA. Yes you can get better performance out of the LA no doubt, BUt I had a SA AICS stock at the time, so just decided to run with that.

Another for running a SA with the 180s. I am currently running 67+gr and 69+gr of RL25 for the 180 Bergers and 162gr AMAXs without any pressure issues. I could get my bullets to seat to 2.960 and still have a couple of thousanths to play with in the ACIS magazine.

1sikpupi,

Ya,if you can get the work done for that cheap that's good.More power to you.But what if the threads need to be chased/centered or bolt lug abutments need to be machined and bolt retimed then it could be more.Then there's the whole Sako extractor thing,more$ or PTG bolt,more$,firing pin bushed,more$.The two gunsmiths I've used the last couple of years said that some 700's are really jacked up while some don't hardly need any work.So it's the luck of the draw I guess.My Mak tube gun with Rem 700/PTG bolt/Sako extractor/Tubb firing pin kit,etc is prob my favorite all around rifle.However I bought it used as a complete rifle for not too much more than a new off the shelf stock Remmy.

Anyway I look at it I'd rather have the custom action for Tacticoolness!!!!higher quality and resale value even if I had to spend a little extra money.

Back to the 7wsm.It's my theory/opinion that with the bullet seated as far as is reasonable it enables you to capitalize on the use of a slower powder with as high or higher velocities at lower pressures/temperatures causing prolonged throat/barrel life.I know barrels are expendable but I think most people would prefer getting as much out of theirs as possible.

Also as the case is fired a # of times a dreaded donut can be formed in the neck shoulder junction.So if the bottom of the baring surface of the bullet does not have to go past that section then you don't have to worry about it later on as the case is resized over and over.

Steve

The more recent Sureon short actions are notched at the top of the mag well so that you can mag feed with the 180gr seated out to 2.950" from 308 mags that do not have the binder plate installed such as the accurate 10rnd mags for the wsm cartridges, but they only holds 7 wsm rounds, and it is not to dificult to remove the binder plates out of a 308 mags if need be.
I have not found a need to seat out over 2.940", case capacity is ample,I am able to send 180gr VLD at over 3000 fps and accuracy is less than .5 moa. My rifle has a 25" fluted barrel with the advantages of a short action. The ADVANTATGE of the 7 WSM over the 7 rem mag is that it can be used in a short action!

I dont really know much about 7wsm, BUT... I would use a Short action, AICS mags OR Seekens BDM. ALso if you want a Mcgress precision, hes working on some longer COAL mags. Shoot 180s, 175gr SMKS and 162gr AMAx, dont look back!

My lawton got a notch in front so a live round can ejects. Its also got a notch in the inside of the action near the back so it can eject that fat cartridge. It works very well. I like the 7mm-300 wsm better than my 6.5-284.