• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on a 2.5-10x sfp scope for AR10

Tuthmose

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2022
Northern Virginia
I’ve just acquired an ADM UIC-10A in .308 (thanks to advice from here, so thank you Hide!), and I’m looking to get optics for it. It’s a 16” barrel, and I’m trying to set it up as a general “jack of all trades”. I am fully aware that the second part of that phrase is “master of none”, but I’m ok with those compromises.

I’m looking to run a 2/2.5-10/15x scope, with an offset red dot for up-close work. My requirements for the scope are:
  • Second focal plane. My older eyes do not do well with the tiny reticle of a FFP scope on minimum setting. I know that’s what the illumination is for, but I also want . . .
  • . . . . A reticle that would still be useful/useable WITHOUT a battery, in a worst-case scenario.
  • Something in the $1500ish or less range (or that could be had used for that price)
I’ve settled on one of three choices, I believe (?):
  • Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 – This seems to be the best option, but it is also the most expensive by far. I do worry a bit about the Digillum controls vs. a simple analog dial. Murphy’s Law being what it is, is this more complex circuitry a weak point? Is the complexity of it (press for X seconds to do this, Y seconds to do that, having to cycle through up through brightness and back down to lower it, etc.) a real negative?
  • Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x44 (or Credo HX version, if I want a MOA reticle) – I like the simple analog illumination dial over the more complex (more Murphy-prone?) Digillum of the NF. The price is also easier on the wallet. The reticle is perhaps a little inferior to the NF, but not much. It does have parallax adjustment. BUT, it’s nearly 2 full inches longer and a few ounces heavier to boot. Too bulky for a non-DMR specific rig?
  • Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 – I’ve heard these use the same glass as the NXS, so it should be a nice scope. . . but is it as robust as the two above? It’s the shortest and lightest of the three, with a nice MOAR reticle. The price is lower. It too has the rotary dial for illumination, which I prefer. Trade-off is a slightly higher minimum magnification that I wanted. But would .5x really hamper me if I’m using the red dot up close anyway? It also has no parallax adjustment. But do I really need that for a max 10x scope, or is it worth dropping for a smaller package and cost savings?
I have no experience with any of these scopes, and am unlikely to be able to handle or examine any before I buy online. I’d appreciate any insight from folks who do have first-hand knowledge and experience. I'd like to spend wisely. What would your choice be, and why? Are there some other company’s offerings in this general tier that I’m overlooking? Some mistake(s) I might be making?

Any insights or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

I have the SHV on my 16” POF Revolution. It is a good all around scope for the purpose I use it for….a daytime pig popper out to 300ish yards. And it makes a good buggy rifle combo….tough, and not too worried about banging it around. But it is lacking in light transmission right at dusk. The only time this is an issue is during deer season when I use it hunting at locations where there is pig activity and desire to be prepared for deer as well, it gets dark mighty quick looking thru the scope, especially in the woods.

Reactions: Tuthmose
Thank you everybody - I appreciate the insight. On the whole, it looks like I'll be scouring the couch cushions for coin while I save up for the NXS.

I have the SHV on my 16” POF Revolution. It is a good all around scope for the purpose I use it for….a daytime pig popper out to 300ish yards. And it makes a good buggy rifle combo….tough, and not too worried about banging it around. But it is lacking in light transmission right at dusk. The only time this is an issue is during deer season when I use it hunting at locations where there is pig activity and desire to be prepared for deer as well, it gets dark mighty quick looking thru the scope, especially in the woods.
I'm sort of surprised to hear about the lack-luster light transmission, given that I have read the SHV and NXS use the same lenses. I don't know enough about scope internals to know what would account for that - any ideas? Kind of a shame, since it's a lot more affordable than it's NXS brother, but I suppose that's part of the reason why. Thank you for the feedback!

To address the question about Digilum, yes there is always Murphy’s law when it comes to digital electronics. But Murphy doesn’t stop there. Realistically, you are probably more likely to accidentally leave an analog dial on, killing your battery, than you are to have an electronic glitch. The Digilum will automatically power off after some time, so you don’t kill your battery. You can’t avoid Murphy completely, but you can try to play the odds.

The illumination system on the NXS is my least favorite thing about that scope. It works, mostly, but isn't as failsafe as the older on/off system. Adjusting brightness of that was a pain, but was simple in its use.
The 2.5-10x42 also has some fisheye effect at 10X - or, I should say, mine does - but it is only bad if you stay on the scope for extended time.

All that wrapped up and the bow on top is that, even with those, I still love the scope. It rides on a 308 gasser and is just about perfect for stand-alone use or for slapping on a clip-on thermal and shooting shit in the face.

Reactions: Cutout
I have both the 2.5-15 credo, though the 56mm objective and an Athlon 2.5-15x50 HMR, both are dandy scopes. The credo is available in both mil/mil and moa/moa with a floating dot holdover reticle.
The HMR is moa/moa only.
The Credo is better, but it is almost twice the price, so it should be.
The Credo is Japanese, the HMR Chinese. Both have very good illumination.

Last edited:
I put a 2.5-12.5x42 Trijicon Accupoint on my 7-08 AR10 and it has been fantastic. Sfp, Mil dot reticle, no battery (tritium and fiber optics), capped windage and elevation. Sits in an ADM QD mount and has been a true set it and forget it scope.

Yup. The old x32's and x24's were cool, but IMO the x42 is where it's at with the adjustable parallax. More than once the fixed 125yd parallax of the x32 proved to be an inconvenience.
How so? I ask because I've used all of them a bunch and the 32mm is one of my favorites for hunting and DMR matches.

How so? I ask because I've used all of them a bunch and the 32mm is one of my favorites for hunting and DMR matches.
The x24 and x32 versions had a fixed parallax at 125yd. I could pick up parallax error at distances on either side of 125 with the one I had.

I thought the 32mm was one of the most parallax free/forgiving optics I've used. I'm not a huge fan of the 24mm tho. I just wish I could get the 42mm with capped windage like I could on the other two.

I’ll shit on Nightforce all day but I love(d) that little 2.5-10x42 NXS. I had three at one point. Of your options that’s what I’d go with personally given the criteria.

I will echo many of the others, the NXS 2.5-10x42 is a great little scope! I have three and have considered buying another. I do notice some distortion at low power but find it very clear in the upper 2/3rd of the magnification range. I was shooting it recently at 1000 yards with my Tikka CTR 308. It had a great image at that range in good light.

For it's weight, it is pretty tough to beat the overall package of this little scope. It is second focal plane but this seems to work well with the 2.5-10 mag range. My only real gripe with the scope is the 5 mils per turn turrets. I would love it if it had 10mil per turn turrets.

If you buy one and don't like it you can sell for a very small loss. Look around, they are hard to find new and used for a reason. Most newer scopes are boat anchors! This scope makes a great lightweight, precision hunter style scope on my Tikka CTR 308. I also have two on air rifles, and it works great in this role as well with the parallax down to 25 yards.