• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Advice on a DPMS SASS load

aquinas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2010
Il
Got my new SASS to the range yesterday. Shot some LC '05 M80 ball to get on paper with new Burris XTR-312 mounted. Cleaned barrel and shot 2-5 shot groups with handload consisting of: LC 05 Case with 41.5 grains H4895 with CCI #34 primer topped with Nosler Custom Comp 168gn. HPBT.

I did not break this barrel in because after first 10 rounds, I saw virtually no evidence of copper fouling.

Results less than impressive with handloads.

First group at 100 yards measured about 2" and 2nd group was 1.25". (got dark and had to leave)

Not interested in factory ammo...just handloads, please.

Will give a full range report when I get this gun shooting where I think it should be- 1 moa or less. I'll shoot at 600 when I get it printing well at 1 and 200 yards.

Re: Advice on a DPMS SASS load

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got my new SASS to the range yesterday. Shot some LC '05 M80 ball to get on paper with new Burris XTR-312 mounted. Cleaned barrel and shot 2-5 shot groups with handload consisting of: LC 05 Case with 41.5 grains H4895 with CCI #34 primer topped with Nosler Custom Comp 168gn. HPBT.

I did not break this barrel in because after first 10 rounds, I saw virtually no evidence of copper fouling.

Results less than impressive with handloads.

First group at 100 yards measured about 2" and 2nd group was 1.25". (got dark and had to leave)

Not interested in factory ammo...just handloads, please.

Will give a full range report when I get this gun shooting where I think it should be- 1 moa or less. I'll shoot at 600 when I get it printing well at 1 and 200 yards.

</div></div>

You need to start fiddling with things. A 1.25" 5 shot group isn't that bad out of a semi. People need to realize that every barrel isn't guaranteed to shoot half an inch. If yours is a one inch barrel, so be it.

People pay thousands of dollars to custom gunsmiths to get that resolution.

CCI #41s are a magnum primer and they're not known for being all that consistent.

Play with different components, powder weights, COALs the usual stuff.

Face it bud, you shot two five shot groups. That sample size it too small to make any value judgements.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Face it bud, you shot two five shot groups. That sample size it too small to make any value judgements.

Chris </div></div>

Been doing this long enough to get a rough idea of what works and what doesn't. The load I shot in this gun is "The M-14 Load." Using the load I quoted, if a 14 doesn't shoot well with it, you have a gun proble. The same does not necessarily hold true for the SASS.

Maybe I need to be more specific.

What powders will work well in this type of semi-auto? I have the bullets and primers covered.

Even more specific, from what burn rate to what burn rate (fast to slow) will work for this gas system?

Dpms claims that it can take 300 rounds before the rifle shoots. I don't know why and I was skeptical as I don't really adhear to the "break in" train of thought, but I can say that my rifle went from crappy to pretty good in 200 rounds.

When I first started shooting I was getting results similar to yours. I was equally unimpressed. After 300 rounds the rifle was a consistant .75 MOA shooter, occasionally shooting better and yes occasionally worse.

I shot the same ammo through the entire time. My first load was 42 grains of RL15, a 168 grain SMK, CCI BR2 primer and a match prepped Winchester case. I had good results with 155SMK's and 175 SMK's.

Months later, I called Glen Zediker to order one of his books, while I had him on the phone, I asked him what load he suggested. He stated 41.5 grains of H4895, 168 SMK, a Fed 210M or CCI Br2 primer in a Winchester case would shoot.

I tried several different loads. The load I first used was accurate, but I was not too happy with the velocity. I tried working up to faster loads, but started seeing pressure signs before I got where I wanted. I put a Tubbs weighted carrier system in mine and changed to Tubbs flat wire springs. That helped with the pressure and smoothed out the action noticably.

I think if you stick with the load you have, you will see improvements with your rifles performance. Try RL15 down the road if you want, but for the first 200-300 use what you have and see if your rifle improves like mine did and DPMS predicts. Keep your expectations reasonalble and I think you will be happy. If not you can always sell it, they seem to go fast.

If you don't have them Glen Zedikers books are excellent and deal specifically with the AR platform and getting it to shoot. I think his "Handloading For Competition" is a must read if you are serious about reloading.

http://www.zediker.com/books/handloading/hlmain.html

Thanks Driftwood, good post.

Yep, got quite a few of Zediker's books, including the handloading one. The load he gave you is his "14" load, outlined in a paper he wrote on handloading for the Match M14.

It's a good shooter. I need to nix the CCI #34's. Just picked up some BR2's.

Spoke to "Big Green" today and Sierra said 4064, RE15 and H4895 should all work just fine. Sierra also suggested Remington 9 1/2's and not the BR2's. Ballistic Tech at Sierra said he was just working up some loads this weekend with .308 in RE-15, SMK 168's (what else?) and said primer in a Winchester case.

Was afraid someone might say, "give it a couple hundred rounds" as that's been my experience with most of my other guns.

I've been looking at CWS from Tubb. Seems like a good idea cause I sho' nuff like them heavy bullets.

Thanks for the reply, bro.