• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on a good .22 pistol.

DRandi

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 24, 2014
Taught my 10 year old how to shoot this Sunday. He was playing with his Legos and was gripping about being bored. So I told him to get his shoes on and meet me in the driveway. He starts grumbling thinking, oh great more chores..... Well he finally makes his way outback and to his suprize, time to learn how to shoot.

So after a firearms safety brief, (all my kids already know) he retrieves a bunch of my JC Steel 20% silhouettes. Rifles a Savage MK II 22” that’s been heavily worked, Atlas bipod, Triad stock pack, US Optics MR-10 scope, pillar bedded Boyd’s Pro Varmint stock......

Setup the targets at 25 meters and he knocks em down a couple times. He then wants to try at the 50 meter line. He’s doing so good after knocking the targets down, he’s ejecting the mag, running the bolt, chamber check, and safety position check each time before going down range. He’s also working the bipod and rear bag to get a line of sight over the terrain. Now he wants to try from the fence line. Well I pre dial the scope come up and he scores 7 out of 10 hits on a 4” circle plate at 100 meters. Hot dam!!

I grab the steel silhouettes and set them up across our pond and tell Chris to grab the gear and where to setup. He puts the rifle down and immediately drops prone and starts looking for a line of fire all on his own, awesome. He concludes we can’t shoot from here due to no line of sight. So I put the sand bag in a crook of a tree and set the rifle on the bag and introduced him to basic positional shooting. He missed a few but still rocked it!!! After our range session he then started to inquire about shooting with daddy’s friends for points. I explained to him about .22 PRS matches.

Yes I know above is not necessarily, but just proud of my handy work planting future freedom seeds, and a big middle finger to all the gun grabbers that think they we will out vote us in the future.

Now this brings me to my question. Looks for a high quality .22 semi auto pistol that my 10 year old can shoot. Does anyone have any experience with a Smith-Wesson SW22 Victory? I shot the older version 22A about ten years ago, but no experience with the newer version.

Thanks, David.

Reactions: PBWalsh
No experience with that S&W. Depending on your budget, you can go with the Walther PPQ 22, Ruger SR22, Ruger MKIV, or buckmark. I have a PPQ in 9mm and it is my favorite pistol. Great trigger. If we didn't have an mag capacity bullshit law, I would have a PPQ 22. I also have a S&W 41, which is an amazing pistol. I have also shot the buckmark.

Get him a quality air pistol he can own and shoot on his own, with strict safety rules in forced. See how he does with it.

Once he passes a milestone then step up to a 22 pistol that he'll shoot only with you.

And maybe that's a simple 22 revolver, make a challenge to master and make him responsible for cleaning it.

Keep a virtual carrot on the stick so that every Summer there's a new milestone to conquer, focus on the fundamentals.

Just my two cents, plan several steps ahead... if you want to keep him interested in shooting then you have to up the ante, so if you start from a base level you can enjoy the process. Starting with an expensive "nice" gun that you might want to own may actually be detrimental.

It's also good for it to be his, rather than yours, even if he can only unlock it and use with you around.

Last edited:
Reactions: brute
I've owned the old S&W victory also. I have had the Ruger MK2 and 22/45, I have a few revolvers, and have had a couple of Buckmarks.

Of the semi-autos, the Buckmarks were as accurate and reliable as any of the others and a hell of a lot easier to clean and re-assemble. The only down side back then was the cost of the mags. Now they run about $30 a piece.

My 2 oldest grandsons, 15 & 13, really like the S&W M&P .22's I have for them. I usually start my grandkids (handgun-wise) on a S&W 317 Airweight 3" barrel revolver shooting single action, due to it's being light weight and very accurate. Kids love reactionary (read explosive!) targets like vanilla wafers, peppermint candy, balloons etc. Have fun!

Reactions: Frankly
Good ideas in this thread. Thinking about my son, I would stick to lightweight options also. My son does not like the heavy Mkii or M41. Too long and heavy. Great for me, not so much for him.

The new MKIV would be my choice for a new 22 pistol that would be target/plinking only. They make the lightweight version of it also. The new push button take down makes it easy to clean. The SR22 eats about any ammo like the MKs, some of the other brands are ammo picky.

I have a MKII competition target and I bought a TS Pack lite upper for it so I could shoot it suppressed. Ruger rolled out the MKIV a few months later.

Carrots already hanging on the stick. Was sizing him up on a AR and a Glock pistol. I have a .22 revolver with the additional cylinder for .22mag. All blued steel with a 6” barrel and mother of pearl grips, kinda nose heavy for him. That’s why I was leaning towards either a polymer or aluminum frame .22.

He’s really sharp, he already noticed something was different between the .22 cases and the .308,s he help resize on my loading bench, and not the physical size. He picked out the difference on the firing pin strike.

My plan was to make it his. For proper fundamentals, gotta make it your own. Put my Glock 27 in his hand to size him up and get a idea on his hand size. With a proper hold the tip of his index finger is at the side of the trigger. Does the Buckmark or new SW Victory have andjustable grips? I really like the Walther PPQ long slide .22, but it’s not adjustable. Might just have to buy one and then tell he wife aww doesn’t fit, I’ll just keep it and go get him another one... lol.

I do have a extra upper and lower AR receiver I contemplated building for him. When I sized him on the AR, a BCM grip with the smallest blackstrap worked good with him floating his tumb on the side. Correct lenght of pull with a carbine stock fully collapsed. He was good with 16” fluted barrel weight wise.

I have a Remington Nylon 66 thats black and chrome I was going to let him shoot next. Going to go pick up a box of clays for him to shoot at this weekend if it stops raining..... Florida..... always rains.

Anyone use the MDT LSS 22 chassis? Thought crossed my mind to put the MK II in that so it could fit him better and be adjusted as he grows.

Last edited:
I've had both the Walther P .22 and the Ruger SR22 in my hand. Seems to me the Walther grip was a little smaller from memory.

You've probably made the trip to a gun store with him already, but if not, that would be great fun for an excursion with daddy.

I have a Smith and Wesson Victory. Less expensive than the Buck Mark and Ruger with test reports showing better accuracy than the Ruger or Browning. It is Stainless Steel, comes with a rail for an Optic, two Mags. Take down is easy, one screw. A threaded barrel is available if wanted. The trigger is as good as the Browning and better than the Ruger. It has a magazine disconnector but that can easily be removed if you don't want it. My other .22 Pistol is an old Browning Challenger Circa 1966. I was going with the Buck Mark until I looked at the Smith and Wesson Victory. Check it out for sure.

BI

The Ruger Mark IV models are very nice for excellent, durable, accurate & easy to maintain pieces.
A number of different barrel lengths and weights depending on your requirements.

S&w 422 or variants...(622 etc)......not made for a while but very reliable and accurate.... Also easy to suppress with just a barrel nut....

Well took him and the wife, (trying to get her more into shooting) to the local gun store to try a few out. They both really liked the Ruger SR22 long slide, but horrible trigger. Is there any aftermarket replacements? Searched the web and came up with a no, but figured I’d ask anyway. Neither of them like the size of the Smith-Wesson Victory, so that’s out. Trigger on the Buck Mark was great, they just don’t like the weight, so that’s out.

Haven’t gotten to try the Walther PPQ 22 but I’m looking. Another thought I had was a Glock 43 with light reloads. I know a 9 can never be anywhere close to a .22 in recoil, but you think it can be loaded down to .22 mag level with some Berry’s 100 grain plated rounds? I don’t have any 9mm stuff, but I do reload and I have a few hundred 9mm empties friends gave me.

Well took him and the wife, (trying to get her more into shooting) to the local gun store to try a few out. They both really liked the Ruger SR22 long slide, but horrible trigger. Is there any aftermarket replacements? Searched the web and came up with a no, but figured I’d ask anyway. Neither of them like the size of the Smith-Wesson Victory, so that’s out. Trigger on the Buck Mark was great, they just don’t like the weight, so that’s out.

Haven’t gotten to try the Walther PPQ 22 but I’m looking. Another thought I had was a Glock 43 with light reloads. I know a 9 can never be anywhere close to a .22 in recoil, but you think it can be loaded down to .22 mag level with some Berry’s 100 grain plated rounds? I don’t have any 9mm stuff, but I do reload and I have a few hundred 9mm empties friends gave me.

The gun shop let you pull the trigger on an empty chamber in a 22? Maybe you had dummy rounds in there. I don't reload, but I know the G43 is very small and light. It is not a gun that I would start a new shooter on, unless you can really reload 9mm to make the recoil as low as possible.

If going 9mm path, I would look at the PPQ 9mm...nice gun, good sight radius, great trigger...

OP, I've got the new S&W Victory. In a word: Awesome! Let me preface that I don't shoot a lot of precision pistol, and this was my first 22 match pistol. I've shot a few others but the design of the Victory sold me. Quick change barrels, great sights, super clean trigger, and uncanny accurate. I put a Fast Fire 3 micro dot on mine and it shoots 10round groups into <1" at 15yds unsupported with Eley Match or Subsonic. Federal Ultramatch stays around 1" also.
IMG_20180416_182847.jpg

I've only found one downside which I've already resolved. If you have large hands, you will want to add a grip wrap to fill your palm more. If you have smaller hands (i.e. kids), this is going to fit them fantastic!
IMG_20180416_182402.jpg
IMG_20180416_182354.jpg
IMG_20180416_182347.jpg

I have 6 kids, all grown, all shoot when their busy lives give them time. I taught them all, starting with a Cricket and then moving up in size and caliber as they grew. Handguns came when they started to hit the 14-16 age range. The trainer was a now long gone (deep regrets) Colt 4" Diamondback .22.

I understand you wish your son to learn and enjoy a semi auto pistol, but have you considered the basics of hand gunning may best be learned with a SA revolver, such as the Ruger Bearcat? The deliberate actions of aim, cock, aim again, fire with a SA slows the whole process down, and IMHO, stresses safety and marksmanship. Like a single shot rifle, a child has to think through each step.

Having read all your posts, there is no doubt in my mind your son has an excellent teacher in you, and it appears he is an avid student. I'm suggesting that handguns are different animals than rifles, and a slower approach may be better in the long run.

Just another opinion from a grumpy old man.

I began shooting with my Dad when I was about 9-10yrs old. Not counting BB guns, the first experience that I recall was shooting an ancient S&W 32 spl revolver which had been the personal carry gun of my Great Grandfather. I hit the tgt (knot on a tree) 2 for 2). For my 10th B-day, I got a little Ithaca 22 single shot lever action. Not sure if Mom was on board with this gift, lol. I wanted the repeater but for lots of reasons the single shot was the better choice. I still have that old gun. I was only allowed to shoot it with Dad around for the next 2-3yrs. Hunter Safety training followed as well as NRA Marksman qualification. I was 10 and 11 for those. Hunted squirrels using a Winchester Mod 37 shotgun in .410 with Dad's supervision. When I turned 12, I graduated to my Great Grand-Dad's old single shot H&R shotgun in 16 ga. That thing never missed. My Dad and my Grand-Dad were my hunting companions until I was 12-13. After that, I was allowed to hunt alone with either the 16 ga, or my Grand-Dad's Mod 37 12 ga, both being single shots, I learned to plan my shot and to be patient. At 13, I was now allowed to take the 22 rifle into the woods alone for hunting or plinking on the farm. I became a crack shot, off-hand with the little Ithaca. Many happy hrs were spent with my cousins shooting floating bottles at the creek. It was like a personal moving shooting gallery and yes, we had a solid hillside for a safe back drop. Remington plated HV solids were our ammo of choice.

Squirrel, rabbit, quail, were all taken with the shotguns. I did not shoot handgun much then but did get to try my Grand-Dad's old 9 shot 22 revolver (H&R?). At about 16y, I was first invited along for deer hunts with my Dad's buddies. I used his old Winchester Mod 97 lever action 30-30. This gave him the excuse to get a Winchester mod 742 auto loader. By that age I was allowed to shoot S&W 38 spl and 357 mag with adult supervision but not allowed to carry them. Dad did not own semi auto pistols until, I turned him on to the Colt 1911 years later. I still possess his personal Combat Commander along with most of the items mentioned above.

I taught all of my kids to shoot as they got old enough. First with small light bolt action 22's/22 WMR and then graduating to other larger and louder items. My son is an avid hunter and shooter and deer hunts with me every year. My middle daughter is a natural pistol and rifle shot and loves to outshoot her boyfriends. Teach them early and include safety training by you and others. Repeat the safety classes every year for the first 2-3yrs. Introduce handguns first with a revolver if possible. It is less complex and intimidating for younger shooters I think. Cock, point, aim, pull trigger. I don't know what the right age is. I think each kid is different, depending on their environment and how much they have to take responsibility at an early age. Stay engaged and observe them for some time before letting them out alone. If you don't live in the open country, it will take longer since driving to the range is going to be necessary. Enjoy the process. It is something you can share with them for the rest of your life and they will always remember it.

Irish

Taught my 10 year old how to shoot this Sunday. He was playing with his Legos and was gripping about being bored. So I told him to get his shoes on and meet me in the driveway. He starts grumbling thinking, oh great more chores..... Well he finally makes his way outback and to his suprize, time to learn how to shoot.

So after a firearms safety brief, (all my kids already know) he retrieves a bunch of my JC Steel 20% silhouettes. Rifles a Savage MK II 22” that’s been heavily worked, Atlas bipod, Triad stock pack, US Optics MR-10 scope, pillar bedded Boyd’s Pro Varmint stock......

Setup the targets at 25 meters and he knocks em down a couple times. He then wants to try at the 50 meter line. He’s doing so good after knocking the targets down, he’s ejecting the mag, running the bolt, chamber check, and safety position check each time before going down range. He’s also working the bipod and rear bag to get a line of sight over the terrain. Now he wants to try from the fence line. Well I pre dial the scope come up and he scores 7 out of 10 hits on a 4” circle plate at 100 meters. Hot dam!!

I grab the steel silhouettes and set them up across our pond and tell Chris to grab the gear and where to setup. He puts the rifle down and immediately drops prone and starts looking for a line of fire all on his own, awesome. He concludes we can’t shoot from here due to no line of sight. So I put the sand bag in a crook of a tree and set the rifle on the bag and introduced him to basic positional shooting. He missed a few but still rocked it!!! After our range session he then started to inquire about shooting with daddy’s friends for points. I explained to him about .22 PRS matches.

Yes I know above is not necessarily, but just proud of my handy work planting future freedom seeds, and a big middle finger to all the gun grabbers that think they we will out vote us in the future.

Now this brings me to my question. Looks for a high quality .22 semi auto pistol that my 10 year old can shoot. Does anyone have any experience with a Smith-Wesson SW22 Victory? I shot the older version 22A about ten years ago, but no experience with the newer version.

Thanks, David.

I have a S&W 22 Victory, Great, just as accurate as Ruger , and much easier to take down.

Mark

I love the Colt Targetsman I have. It's a 1975 gun, but shoots and feels 10x better than the new production stuff.
The Woodsman/ Targetsman are great, high end, high quality.

The gun shop let you pull the trigger on an empty chamber in a 22? Maybe you had dummy rounds in there. I don't reload, but I know the G43 is very small and light. It is not a gun that I would start a new shooter on, unless you can really reload 9mm to make the recoil as low as possible.

If going 9mm path, I would look at the PPQ 9mm...nice gun, good sight radius, great trigger...

Asked the shop clerk about that, (I’m aware of .22 fire pin peening the breach face) and he said no problem, their used demo guns. Ok then.

I have 6 kids, all grown, all shoot when their busy lives give them time. I taught them all, starting with a Cricket and then moving up in size and caliber as they grew. Handguns came when they started to hit the 14-16 age range. The trainer was a now long gone (deep regrets) Colt 4" Diamondback .22.

I understand you wish your son to learn and enjoy a semi auto pistol, but have you considered the basics of hand gunning may best be learned with a SA revolver, such as the Ruger Bearcat? The deliberate actions of aim, cock, aim again, fire with a SA slows the whole process down, and IMHO, stresses safety and marksmanship. Like a single shot rifle, a child has to think through each step.

Having read all your posts, there is no doubt in my mind your son has an excellent teacher in you, and it appears he is an avid student. I'm suggesting that handguns are different animals than rifles, and a slower approach may be better in the long run.

Just another opinion from a grumpy old man.

All ready going down that path my friend. Put a Hawk western single action revolver in his hand last weekend. As to be expected had lots of trouble hitting targets, but he kept trying till the mosquitos chased us in. Started him out in a isosceles stance at about 8ft shooting some empty soda cans. Pistol weight and figuring out front/rear sight alignment are some concerns he has expressed, but we’re working on it little here little there.

Part of my interest in this is future planning. Start looking now, involve him in looking, dangling the carrot so to speak. When he actually would get to use it..... 4,5,8 or so months down the road.

Also trying to get my wife more involved. Initially when I was less informed on firearms, had a clue, but didn’t know what I know now of course. She picked out a Glock G27. She liked how it felt in the hand, but it’s a very snappy little recoiling gun. Didn’t have the extra finances back then to really get into it so she essentially lost interest. Well she has also expressed some interest in trying again so I’m being more than happy to try and oblige.

Thanks everyone for their input. Always nice to see different ideas.

David.

He tried group shooting on paper today. Got a little deeper into the fundamentals with trigger squeeze, and proper hand placement. He also got his first taste of zeroing a scope. Had him fire three rounds to make sure it’s consistent. Brief introduction to milliradians, (that’s what my scope is). Had him count the difference between point of aim, point of impact. He dialed the corrections and fired to confirm. He printed just under a inch at 25 yards.

Rifle is sized to me so he’s stretched out, but he was making it work.
Second pic is his first time with the AR. He’s getting pretty good lining himself up.

Attachments

• ACCEDBDF-493A-4C8E-B7D1-35F031AE3EC9.jpeg
    ACCEDBDF-493A-4C8E-B7D1-35F031AE3EC9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • F9E2DC66-0A1D-45BA-98EA-0E05B45473C1.jpeg
    F9E2DC66-0A1D-45BA-98EA-0E05B45473C1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I went through a phase where I was shooting a Biathlon Trainer break-action .177 pellet rifle to hone my Offhand skills down in the basement.

I used these Daisy Shatter Blast 2" Airgun Targets for the more challenging distances outdoors. The holder assembly is probably a bit flimsy for rimfire, but the discs work just fine.

Greg