• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Advice on a h&r m12 heavy barrel

donniedee

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2011
dripping springs texas
I bought a awesome h&r heavy barrel m12 us 22 with a ken v mount has the redfield peeps set also QUESTION IS. What optics would you guys put on it for precision practice at 50-200 Yrds without breaking the bank thanks

I have a Remington 24X target scope on mine, but any good quality target scope would work.

HandR5200_1.jpg

The best buy in a scope is the Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44. They can be had for $309 shipped. I have six of them. I had a H&R 12 that I bought at the big CMP sale a couple of years ago. It looked brand new. Best $225 I ever spent. You can get the trigger below 1 lb if you know how. The match I run goes from 50 through 200 yds. Remember you will need a 20 moa rail or rings. One more tip. ALL .22 ammo must be lot tested. Don't know what size target you will be shooting, but our 200 yd target is 5" x 6". Oh, you will also find that wind is not your friend. A variable scope is very helpful. I had to turn mine down to 12X at a match last year due to mirage.

Last edited:
The best buy in a scope is the Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44. They can be had for $309 shipped. I have six of them.

I have 7 of this model and they are an outstanding scope for rimfire. I wished I knew where to pick them up for $309 these days. I haven't seen them listed at the original vendor in over a year. :)

Does anybody know which bi-pod mount or adaptor will fit into the M12 rail?? A 7 of mine wont work!!
I would prefer to use my Atlas CANT so a PIC adaptor would be best. Is there any kind of trigger mod for the M12?
Maybe a new module?

Ken V is no longer making the scope mount for the M12 but S&K is taking over production.
As of 5/21/2022. I just paid about $750.00 fore mine and it is LNIB. (95% ta least) I did some quick ammo testing
and it is fairly ammo tolerant. In no particular order.... GECO Match, RWS Rifle Match, ELEY Club. I striped her down
to the screw level and gave her a tooth brush cleaning. Prior to the cleaning I had shot for ten minutes just to enjoy my
new toy with open sights. She worked flawlessly. After the cleaning I applied moly grease and had over 80% FTE issues.
I thought all that had changed was the moly grease.

In my photo's, you can imagine why I need a longer mount like Ken V's or S&K.

I wiped the front 85% of the bolt and the most of the ejection issues went away.
She runs better with less sticky lube. I cleaned it all off and replaced it with EZZOX which is a very thin lube. It migrates into
areas and thickens up a bit after the solvent carrier evaporates. So far, I have not broken down the trigger and lapped the
sears. Truly, It almost has the factory setting..... With just about 30 minutes and 6 ammo types, she is getting .38" ctc. groups
at 65 yards.

For testing see has a Trijicon 5-50x56 mounted. Once close I can shoot at the edge of paper or steel and although I cant hear
the impact, I can see where the bullet nicked the plate. That's when I know I'm getting close. As I get closer, I like to shoot at edges
of things to get a precise zero. I typically zero one axis at a time.

So far, it is shooting better than my Vudoo gen 1. I have been buying older stuff as of late and surprised at how nice of it really is.
A Win 52 pre A, Springfield 1922 Mk2, Kimber 82G, Win 541X.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 1 A BOLT CLOSED SEE MOUNT SPACE.jpg
    1 A BOLT CLOSED SEE MOUNT SPACE.jpg
    755.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 1 AB BOLT OPEN SEE MOUNT SPACE.jpg
    1 AB BOLT OPEN SEE MOUNT SPACE.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 68
I have 7 of this model and they are an outstanding scope for rimfire. I wished I knew where to pick them up for $309 these days. I haven't seen them listed at the original vendor in over a year. :)

Thanks for quoting an 8 year old post.

That looks like a walnut stock. I have a CMP Model 12, and a model 5200, the only difference I can see is the
stock, and the 5200 seems to have more of a polished blue.

Last edited: