• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on a hunting scope for a DMR AR?

N.I.

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2023
US
Hi al, I am trying to find a scope in the below config and would appreciate any and all advice:
  • Number one must have is a generous eye box and eye relief. I am old and have shitty vision :D
  • LPVO or traditional body is OK
  • 1-10 for an LPVO or 2-10 to 3-15 for traditional
  • Obj lens of 42 or smaller
  • Illuminated
  • MOA BDC preferably
  • SFP preferred but not a deal breaker FFP is OK as long as the low power reticle is actually visible under bright conditions
  • under $1000
This is for a DDM4 V7 Pro I will be using for hunting hogs and other med sized game out to 400 yards.

Thanks!

Last edited:
It may be difficult to find something in your weight requirement. Vortex strike eagle 1-8 comes in at 17.6 oz. Anything with illumination is going to weigh more...generally.

Classic Leupold optic below seems to be close to your requirements:

It may be difficult to find something in your weight requirement. Vortex strike eagle 1-8 comes in at 17.6 oz. Anything with illumination is going to weigh more...generally.

Yeah I realized that after posting and have revised to 20, thanks.
EDIT, actually, I have removed the weight requirements totally.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp
Hi al, I am trying to find a scope in the below config and would appreciate any and all advice:
  • Number one must have is a generous eye box and eye relief. I am old and have shitty vision :D
  • LPVO or traditional body is OK
  • 1-10 for an LPVO or 2-10 to 3-15 for traditional
  • Obj lens of 42 or smaller
  • Illuminated
  • MOA BDC preferably
  • SFP preferred but not a deal breaker FFP is OK as long as the low power reticle is actually visible under bright conditions
  • under $1000
This is for a DDM4 V7 Pro I will be using for hunting hogs and other med sized game out to 400 yards.

Thanks!
Easy... Best glass I've seen on an LPVO for under $1,000... So much so, I bough a 2nd one.

It's NOT a BDC reticle, so you're not limited to one specific caliber/bullet/cartridge. It uses standard MIL stadia, so you can end up putting it on something else, later, if you ever decide to swap it out, and still being able to fully use the reticle.

I’m running a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 on my 6.8 DDM4V7 and it serves well in that role as a daytime pig plinker. I think new they may run a little over $1k though, but there was one recently here on the exchange for less.

And a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 LVPO on my .308 SBR that is my buggy pig gun. If I am going to sit till dusk I prefer the NF over the Trijicon. But eye box is better than the NF. Really easy to get behind.

I too have age and eyes working against me and am sensitive to eye relief/view and prefer SFP for the quick and close up hunting I mainly do.

Reactions: N.I.
Easy... Best glass I've seen on an LPVO for under $1,000... So much so, I bough a 2nd one.

It's NOT a BDC reticle, so you're not limited to one specific caliber/bullet/cartridge. It uses standard MIL stadia, so you can end up putting it on something else, later, if you ever decide to swap it out, and still being able to fully use the reticle.

I've heard that Primary Arms stuff has really bad eye boxes, true?

I've heard that Primary Arms stuff has really bad eye boxes, true?
Not on that 1-10x28 LPVO... It's actually REALLY forgiving, and has a really nice field of view, no tunneling clear & bright glass, sharp reticle, sharp illumination, handles the sun really well. It's a damn-solid LPVO for under $1K. The 34mm tube makes it really strong and beefy. This is one of their newly revamped models in their SLx lineup. It's a really nice LPVO for the money. I would never recommend someone buy crap, and had I not already owned one, I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it. But the 2 I have were bought at different times, and both are excellent. Another cool thing I found out about Primary Arms, is that they do all of their QA/QC in-house in Texas. They get batches in from China/Philippines/wherever and then examine EVERY optic that comes through the door. They don't batch QC, they check every single optic before it gets put on the shelf, regardless of how much it cost, or what model it is. I thought that was really cool.

Great choice and fairly light weight too

I'm kinda looking for something with a 10x power at the minimum as I am hunting to 400 yards and need to make sure I can place ethical shots and I am not sure I can do that with an 8x. Ideally a 2-12 or 3-15 is what I'm thinking, I really just need a huge eye box and eye relief.

Anyone have exp with the Steiner Optics Predator 4 2.5-10x42mm?

Last edited:
I'm kinda looking for something with a 10x power at the minimum as I am hunting to 400 yards and need to make sure I can place ethical shots and I am not sure I can do that with an 8x. Ideally a 2-12 or 3-15 is what I'm thinking, I really just need a huge eye box and eye relief.

Leupold has a vx6 2-12 I think a couple people have them for sale on the armory

The Leupold 2-10 is really a great scope as well. Firedot is great for low light You probably find these nearby at Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabellas etc. You could physically look at them and check the eye box

Leupold has a vx6 2-12 I think a couple people have them for sale on the armory

The Leupold 2-10 is really a great scope as well. Firedot is great for low light You probably find these nearby at Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabellas etc. You could physically look at them and check the eye box
Do you know if they make this with a reticle that has holdovers or caliber specific BDCs?

Do you know if they make this with a reticle that has holdovers or caliber specific BDCs?
The VX6 HD 2-12 is a great scope and checks most of your boxes except price….it is a little north of $1k. I have one on a .308 bolt deer rifle, and it works very well in low light, light weight, easy to get behind, etc. Not sure about a BDC though. Mine has a duplex, but I have the elevation dial etched to my caliber and bullet specs which is an included service by Leupold when you purchase the scope…..and dial to the range of the game….works fine for hunting out a few hundred yards, you’d just have to test out to what distance works for your round for an ethical shot. Just hard to see the dial numbers right at dusk so I have to remember the clicks to specific ranges and landmarks.

The VX6 HD 2-12 is a great scope and checks most of your boxes except price….it is a little north of $1k. I have one on a .308 bolt deer rifle, and it works very well in low light, light weight, easy to get behind, etc. Not sure about a BDC though. Mine has a duplex, but I have the elevation dial etched to my caliber and bullet specs which is an included service by Leupold when you purchase the scope…..and dial to the range of the game….works fine for hunting out a few hundred yards, you’d just have to test out to what distance works for your round for an ethical shot. Just hard to see the dial numbers right at dusk so I have to remember the clicks to specific ranges and landmarks.
Appreciate the info.

Leupold-Boone-Crockett-reticle.jpg

I don't see any on the website with bdc. They may have dropped them bc I have seen them before. Edit looks like they made a boone and Crockett reticle discontinued but still available online

You get one free custom made elevation dial with the scope but that's about it

Do you have any experience hunting at 400 yards with 223?

I do, it was with a Henry lever gun using a 5-20 power scope. I sold that and am now doing the DMR thing as it's more versatile than the lever gun but substantially heavier, so am looking for a light weight scope.

My longest kill was 330 yards so am using 400 as a good yardage cushion.