• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on a new scale

bonzo336

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2012
New Jersey
I would like to say hi to everyone being this is my first post. This site has to be the most informative forum on the web.
I'm in the market to get a new scale, my 6 year old just trashed the old one. I realy liked my old one which was a 502 rcbs that I purchased in the mid 80's. I don't know much about the newer scales and looking for options that are around now. I've heard good and bad about digital scales, but I'm still leaning towards a balance beam scale. Thanks in advance for your input.

Re: Advice on a new scale

Always keep a mechanical scale in inventory. Just get a 505 or 510 and go another 25 years or so.

rcbs chargemaster 1500. The lazy ass in me is here and present! HA!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rcbs chargemaster 1500. The lazy ass in me is here and present! HA!</div></div>

But pick up a 505 or 510 to back it up and double check it with.

Electronic scales can be great, but they can also fool you. They will drift as they warm up, static electricity will give false readings, nearby florescent lights and cell phones have been known to also affect the accuracy of the scales.

Much more then absolute accuracy, you need consistency. Hard to beat a good beam scale.

That said, I love my RCBS Chargemaster (but I verify the throws with a Redding beam scale).

Unless you are willing to spend 1K for and electronic balance. I would stick with a beam ballance. I have an RCBS 1010 but would get a Redding if I bought another one.

I can't bring myself to go digital yet. I've got a Redding #2, its good, not great, lifetime gaurantee. My favorite balance scale is a Hornady that may be older than me, ease of use and consistency is top notch, Hornady is not currently marketing a balance scale but their CS guy said they're working to remedy that.

If you start loading a bunch of rounds you will eventually want a chargemaster combo. I got one a month ago and my first loads with it went into one round hole. I'm sold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gvanhyning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would recommend a RCBS 1010 beam scale and a set of their check weights. I use the check weights to calibrate to the nearest .1 grain of the charge that I'm throwing. </div></div>

I advocate just doing ladders/ocw testing until you've got an indicated chargeweight that works great. Then, cut/file a penny (works for charges up to ~50gr) or other piece of metal until your scale indicates the penny weighs exactly what your good charge does. Now you have a test weight, perfectly calibrated specifically AT you magic charge weight.

Who cares if the scale is perfect at 25 and 50gr when your charge is 34gr? Much better to have a "gold standard".

Like Turbo said above, its consistency your looking for. If you find an optimum load at say 43.0gr, you want to know every time you weigh your charge to 43.0gr its the same. It really doesn't matter if your take your 43.0gr charge to your neighbors scale it shows 43.4gr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't bring myself to go digital yet. I've got a Redding #2, its good, not great, lifetime gaurantee. My favorite balance scale is a Hornady that may be older than me, ease of use and consistency is top notch, Hornady is not currently marketing a balance scale but their CS guy said they're working to remedy that.</div></div>

That would be great if Hornady started making their old beam scale again. It was a nice one.

Enjoy your 1010, I would recommend you have Scott Parker tune it.