• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Advice on a simple, lightweight scope

WHOOthrowinSticky

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2019
  • What is the platform for the scope? Semi-auto 308
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Target shooting and hunting.
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Day & low-light
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? Max range of 600 yards but typically paper targets at 100yd.
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? Looking for a simple, light-weight, milrad setup with a way to range my targets through the reticle. FFP and SFP scopes considered. Illumination preferred for low-light shooting.
  • What is the price range you can afford? Looking to spend $500-$1200 new/used on good glass clarity, tracking and around 3-5x min to 15-25x max magnification.
  • Right now I have a cheap Primary Arms 4-14x44mm FFP mildot scope that I'd like to replace with nicer glass. I have used the Vortex Viper PST II 3-15X44, 5-25x50 ffp, and Leupold mk4 3.5-10 & 4.5-14x50mm scopes but nothing scratches my itch.
Scopes I've considered: Vortex razor LHT 4.5-22x50, Razor LHT 3-15-42, Leupold VX5hd 3-15x44 HTMR SFP, and Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18-44mm. I know that the Burris xtr3 gets recommended a lot but I'm looking for something lighter and simpler for my applications.

Last edited:
Just in case you want to rethink the XTRIII. I don't know what those other scopes weigh, but the 3.3-18×50 at 28ozs is within an ounce or two of the MK5, has a 50 vs a 44mm object, has red or green illumination versus none (unless you pay more), equivalent glass, and has a MAP of $1200 versus $2000, bringing it in at your budget.

It also has an excellent. 1 mil height and width ranging reticle.

It checks every box.

• What is the platform for the scope? Semi-auto 308
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Target shooting and hunting.
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Day & low-light
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? Max range of 600 yards but typically paper targets at 100yd.
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? Looking for a simple, light-weight, milrad setup with a way to range my targets through the reticle. FFP and SFP scopes considered. Illumination preferred for low-light shooting.
  • What is the price range you can afford? Looking to spend $500-$1200 new/used on good glass clarity, tracking and around 3-5x min to 15-25x max magnification.
  • Right now I have a cheap Primary Arms 4-14x44mm FFP mildot scope that I'd like to replace with nicer glass. I have used the Vortex Viper PST II 3-15X44, 5-25x50 ffp, and Leupold mk4 3.5-10 & 4.5-14x50mm scopes but nothing scratches my itch.
Scopes I've considered: Vortex razor LHT 4.5-22x50, Razor LHT 3-15-42, Leupold VX5hd 3-15x44 HTMR SFP, and Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18-44mm. I know that the Burris xtr3 gets recommended a lot but I'm looking for something lighter and simpler for my applications.

The Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22 x50 is probably one of the best options for what you wanted.
It's about 1.5 pounds (22 ounces) & has about all the features you would need for what you are doing.

I'd suggest you call @LibertyOptics Scott at Liberty Optics and ask what he can get worked out for you.
You might just find you can get it brand new for around the top of your budget range and the same price that others sell it used for.

Man I have a lot of scopes, from zco, NF, kahles, March, Athlon, vortex, you name it, pretty much tried em. I have a Hawke FFP Frontier 4-20 and it's around $800 from Camerland. The scope does very well in low light has great illumination, better turrets than vortex razor lht line, glass is nearly as crisp. Has zero stop, 23mil of internal adj, and weighs 22oz.

Reactions: WHOOthrowinSticky
Thank you everyone for the recommendations; I've checked into them and I'm looking for a simpler reticle for lower-magnification shooting than the Hawke and burris; nightforce, and swfa look solid and have the reticle choices that I'd like, but I'm looking for more magnification to track shot placement.

Here are the scopes that I'm considering. Let me know if anyone has experience with them.

-Vortex LHT 4.5-22X50 MRAD. All the features and glass clarity that I'm looking for, but the reticle is less than ideal.

-Primary Arms GLX 4-16x50mm mildot FFP. Checks off all the boxes, but I'm concerned about its quality and glass clarity.

-Zerotech Thrive HD 4-16x44mm FFP
Same as primary arms.

-Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42mm SFP
Established company, good features

-Leupold VX5HD 3-15X44mm HTMR SFP

I had the 4.5-22 LHT on my Q Fix which has basically the same use as your rifle, but mostly hunting. I really liked the optic overall but I ultimately wanted lower mag and FOV on the bottom end than what it provided for use in the woods. I used it last rifle season and wanted more FOV. So depending on how much hunting it will see and what type of hunting you might want to reconsider something with 4.5x on the bottom end.

I have no experience with the LHT 3-15 but I wouldn’t hesitate buying one based on my experience with the 4.5-22. Just keep in mind that you’ve got a 308 and it’s elevation turret is limited to 2 revolutions. It will get you to 600 no problem but if you want to stretch it out to 1000+ you’re going to be using the reticle too. Not an issue with the 4.5-22 as it has wind brackets, but the 3-15 doesn’t.

I would also look at the Credo 2.5-15. They’re great scopes and Euro Optic has some good deals on them right now. The 2-10 almost ended up as the replacement for the LHT but I went with a NF 2.5-10 instead.

I have the 4.5-22x50, love the scope on my .308 gas gun. However, if your looking for something with a better FOV take a look at the Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44, I don't have experience with it and maybe someone can comment but it may be worth a look. Under 25 ounces, 35 foot FOV at 3x, it runs about $1500 but might can find a coupon or used. Also Tract makes a 2.5-15x44 SFP and FFP in their Japanese OEM toric line, the FFP is a simple mil reticle. They are 28 ounces though.

If it was me personally I would take the extra ounces and get the Burris xtrIII illuminated. Good luck.

Just in case you want to rethink the XTRIII. I don't know what those other scopes weigh, but the 3.3-18×50 at 28ozs is within an ounce or two of the MK5, has a 50 vs a 44mm object, has red or green illumination versus none (unless you pay more), equivalent glass, and has a MAP of $1200 versus $2000, bringing it in at your budget.

It also has an excellent. 1 mil height and width ranging reticle.

It checks every box.

FWIW, the Burris is not that close to the mk5.

From my scale:
XTR3 18x USA: 30.7 oz
XTR3 18x ilum: 31.0 oz
XTR3 Pro: 35.4 oz
LHT 22x: 21.9 oz
LRTS 18x FDE: 27.4 oz

I'm a big fan of the LHT, and want to try the 15x, 50mm version.

OP has made his decision but FWIW, I sold my VX-5 HD CCH and bought a Burris XTR 3-18.
On top of SFP the CDS ZL2 turret is limited to one revolution so you’ll never get the full elevation. Likely not an issue on a FUDD rifle but deal breaker for me.

Reactions: FuhQ
OP has made his decision but FWIW, I sold my VX-5 HD CCH and bought a Burris XTR 3-18.
On top of SFP the CDS ZL2 turret is limited to one revolution so you’ll never get the full elevation. Likely not an issue on a FUDD rifle but deal breaker for me.

First of all, Leupold doesn’t make a CCH reticle versions in the VX5HD and never has. The CCH is a mil reticle and the only offered in the VX5HD is the HTMR.

Second, the VX5HD 3-15x44 I have sitting here along with the several other I’ve owned have multiple rotation elevation turrets and even have marking for multiple rotations. This one sitting here has enough elevation to get a 20” 308 to 1000 yards with 175gr FGMM with travel left over as it’s done several times.

So either you’re a liar and never actually owned a VX5HD or you did and you’re too dumb to know what reticle you had and how to turn a turret.

Yep I'm a senile old dumb fuck that doesn't know how to use a scope. Thank so much for educating me. It sucks to get old and lose your memory; always having to double check that you don't make a mistake and get flamed as a lying asshole. Please point me to the Alzheimer's forum and I will restrict my mad cow posts to there as not to raise your blood pressure.

The VX5HD 3-15x44 171716 was indeed Impact 29; I got that scope the same time my LRP CCH finally came in. The VX5 was boresighted but never shot and the CCH is still waiting on a build. When I checked it out to sell it I saw it only had one revolution, I looked for the zeroing procedure and only found a video for the old ZL. Looks like my dial must have too far down. I should have know something was wrong as 2 revolutions are marked on turret. This is especially frustrating as I'm a very visual learner. My bad.

This is from a Leupold CDS instruction manual.
The Leupold Custom Dial System is designed to provide
a hard stop that limits the dial to one revolution. This prohibits
over/under rotating the dial once it has been zeroed. If you
DO NOT want the hard stop feature, allowing for multiple
revolutions of the dial, proceed to step 9.

Last edited:
Yep I'm a senile old dumb fuck that doesn't know how to use a scope. Thank so much for educating me. It sucks to get old and lose your memory; always having to double check that you don't make a mistake and get flamed as a lying asshole. Please point me to the Alzheimer's forum and I will restrict my mad cow posts to there as not to raise your blood pressure.

The VX5HD 3-15x44 171716 was indeed Impact 29; I got that scope the same time my LRP CCH finally came in. The VX5 was boresighted but never shot and the CCH is still waiting on a build. When I checked it out to sell it I saw it only had one revolution, I looked for the zeroing procedure and only found a video for the old ZL. Looks like my dial must have too far down. I should have know something was wrong as 2 revolutions are marked on turret. This is especially frustrating as I'm a very visual learner. My bad.

This is from a Leupold CDS instruction manual.
The Leupold Custom Dial System is designed to provide
a hard stop that limits the dial to one revolution. This prohibits
over/under rotating the dial once it has been zeroed. If you
DO NOT want the hard stop feature, allowing for multiple
revolutions of the dial, proceed to step 9.

So didn't know what scope you even had, didn't even take the time to figure out how the turret works or used it, but you came here to post in multiple threads about how the VX5HD sucks because it only has one revolution when in fact it has multiple and you just don't know how to use it. You're what's wrong with the internet, people without a clue.

He has really upset my delicate mental health balance. I'm going to go back lurking.
As rough as redneck is hes right. You really should make sure youre not posting blatantly wrong, easily disprovable, info just because youre too dumb to remember.

Edit: and quit pretending to be a victim

Last edited:
Thanks so much for being the post Nazis. Forgetful isn't dumb.

I think I‘ll just keep posting stupid shit to get y’all fucking stirred up. I’ve missed being flamed like early days as a nOOb on pirate4x4. Maybe I’ll start posting about Barsaka…..How about that BARSKA 4-16x 50mm IR Tactical Scope with First Focal Plane Trace .MOA Reticle AC13348? Good as the $2,000 scopes …..🤪

Just to be clear, I never said the VX5- HD sucked as a matter fact I said it was an excellent hunting scope.

I owned my mistake, printed a retraction and now you say I’m what”s wrong with the Internet. Please stop being a keyboard bully, or report me for spreading disinformation.

Recently looked at similar criteria.

Depends on how much hunting you plan on doing with this dual purpose setup, but the stuff closer to 30 oz with rings easily adds 2 lbs to your rifle, if not more.

Vortex’s viper HS and variants seem to be on the lighter end which affords cutting at least a pound if not more, off your setup. Going to pick one up this week, for the same reason.

FWIW, I also have the 3.3-18x Burris xtr III mentioned in here as well, on a gas gun in a single piece scope mount. It wouldn’t be my first choice for a hunting scope.