• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ADVICE ON A USED OPTIC!!

William Perry

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2022
Tennessee
Hey folks, been lurking for some time, and have just broke the news to momma, I'm gonna bide my time lookin, but ideally I'm looking to buy (new or used) a scope for 2k, I don't need a chinese checkered christmas tree reticle or built in bottle opener, I'm lookin for the most durable, simple, watertight, fogproof ect. around 4-20 power scope available, illumination is fine, but don't need stupid levels of it, this will be mainly a target scope that'll never see past 500 yards, and probably 2-3 trips a year in the field to take a deer or 6....I just want a damned reliable scope that holds zero even if dropped, and really good glass....I'm about half blind anymore and this scope needs to replace my glasses when I dial in on a deer...Or target. Any suggestions?? Like I said, I'm willing to wait it out for a higher cost used scope in place of a new one if I can get lucky, and you guys would have a lot more background on models I could get in the top end of the used range as well, I wouldn't know what would be a smokin deal or not in that regard....Oh yeah, I prefer 1st focal plane, but could get used to 2nd....

I’ve recently purchased a nightforce nx8 in 2.5x20 it’s ffp and there are several different reticles to choose from there right at your $2k budget new and if you look around you can find them for around 1500-1700 used. So far I like glass is good and it’s pretty short and compact, I have it on a lightweight 6.5 prc hunting rifle.

Reactions: RedRockCharlie
I’ve been running a 4-20 Tract Toric for just over a year now. I like it. I’m shooting club F T/R matches with it. Knowing what I know now I’d have gotten the 4.5-27 instead the extra magnification would help.20X is usually enough at 600 but at 1000 the 27X would help a little. No fault of the scope. It’s all on me. Anyway. It held zero the entire year and tracts dead on. Price (@$1400) is very reasonable for the quality of the glass.

Reactions: RedRockCharlie
I’ve recently purchased a nightforce nx8 in 2.5x20 it’s ffp and there are several different reticles to choose from there right at your $2k budget new and if you look around you can find them for around 1500-1700 used. So far I like glass is good and it’s pretty short and compact, I have it on a lightweight 6.5 prc hunting rifle.
thanks man, I have seen those and are absolutely in the mix!
I’ve been running a 4-20 Tract Toric for just over a year now. I like it. I’m shooting club F T/R matches with it. Knowing what I know now I’d have gotten the 4.5-27 instead the extra magnification would help.20X is usually enough at 600 but at 1000 the 27X would help a little. No fault of the scope. It’s all on me. Anyway. It held zero the entire year and tracts dead on. Price (@$1400) is very reasonable for the quality of the glass.
Just saw a vid from Joe Rhea (Cyclops) on Tract, and was kinda impressed!!...I don't normally take vid reviews as gospel bein I don't know whether they actually use em for extended periods in all weather types and whatnot, especially bein they typically send the scope back and probably want other models to keep doin vids with, but that dude is hilarious and actually does put em through a little....Thanks for the feedback man!

Reactions: MojoNixon
Hey folks, been lurking for some time, and have just broke the news to momma, I'm gonna bide my time lookin, but ideally I'm looking to buy (new or used) a scope for 2k, I don't need a chinese checkered christmas tree reticle or built in bottle opener, I'm lookin for the most durable, simple, watertight, fogproof ect. around 4-20 power scope available, illumination is fine, but don't need stupid levels of it, this will be mainly a target scope that'll never see past 500 yards, and probably 2-3 trips a year in the field to take a deer or 6....I just want a damned reliable scope that holds zero even if dropped, and really good glass....I'm about half blind anymore and this scope needs to replace my glasses when I dial in on a deer...Or target. Any suggestions?? Like I said, I'm willing to wait it out for a higher cost used scope in place of a new one if I can get lucky, and you guys would have a lot more background on models I could get in the top end of the used range as well, I wouldn't know what would be a smokin deal or not in that regard....Oh yeah, I prefer 1st focal plane, but could get used to 2nd....

For what you are looking for, it would be a good idea to take a look at the specs on the Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 FFP scope
It checks all the boxes for what you want and would be significantly under your budget range.

If you do decide to get one, check with Scott at Liberty Optics @LibertyOptics to see what kind of deal they can make you and you'll probably be pretty happy.

Then what I would suggest is you spend some of the savings on getting a really good solid reliable mount for it.
Having a solid mount that is good quality and well matched for your scope and rifle makes a big difference in how reliable your scope will be in staying on target over time and use.

I'm partial to one piece mounts but there are plenty of quality ring sets as well.

Now if you push up a bit on your budget to around the $2500 range, you can get a good condition used S&B 5-25x56 scope that would be an excellent buy and hard to beat. It is however a bit on the bigger side for a hunting rifle you want to carry around. For the price of a good used one, it's hard to beat.

For what you are looking for, it would be a good idea to take a look at the specs on the Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 FFP scope
It checks all the boxes for what you want and would be significantly under your budget range.

If you do decide to get one, check with Scott at Liberty Optics @LibertyOptics to see what kind of deal they can make you and you'll probably be pretty happy.

Then what I would suggest is you spend some of the savings on getting a really good solid reliable mount for it.
Having a solid mount that is good quality and well matched for your scope and rifle makes a big difference in how reliable your scope will be in staying on target over time and use.

I'm partial to one piece mounts but there are plenty of quality ring sets as well.

Now if you push up a bit on your budget to around the $2500 range, you can get a good condition used S&B 5-25x56 scope that would be an excellent buy and hard to beat. It is however a bit on the bigger side for a hunting rifle you want to carry around. For the price of a good used one, it's hard to beat.
noted!!!....I think by the time I settle in on THE ONE, an extra 500 won't hurt me, so I'll look into the S&B, as far as scope mounts go, currently I have a QD mount from Nikon I believe, will have to check it, but being it's a QD for a picatinny, what's your take on those?? Repeatability for zero is a must, but I like the QD option, what's your thoughts on QD?

QD not needed for a scope.
I have had them.
And no longer do.

I differ and say get whatever optic works for yoh and carry it in the field.
The Razor lightweight is very good.
Not sure its the scope I want for a primary target and occasional deer rifle.

You can get A LOT of good glass that is very reliable for way under 2k.

I would take a Burris, Bushy, or Vortex at
$1100-$1500 vs a used Schmidt at $2500.

My $0.02 and worth what ya paid.

- another internet dumbass

If 2500 is in your option of budget, id strongly look for an atacr 4-20 second hand pricing.

noted!!!....I think by the time I settle in on THE ONE, an extra 500 won't hurt me, so I'll look into the S&B, as far as scope mounts go, currently I have a QD mount from Nikon I believe, will have to check it, but being it's a QD for a picatinny, what's your take on those?? Repeatability for zero is a must, but I like the QD option, what's your thoughts on QD?

I would never put a QD on a precision rifle. Save it for your LVPO on an AR to look cool. Get a solid mount or rings and torque them on.

QD not needed for a scope.
I have had them.
And no longer do.

I differ and say get whatever optic works for yoh and carry it in the field.
The Razor lightweight is very good.
Not sure its the scope I want for a primary target and occasional deer rifle.

You can get A LOT of good glass that is very reliable for way under 2k.

I would take a Burris, Bushy, or Vortex at
$1100-$1500 vs a used Schmidt at $2500.

My $0.02 and worth what ya paid.

- another internet dumbass
LOL....YEP YOU AND ME BOTH MAN!!!....I appreciate all input, and it WILL be taken into account, I suppose I'm still goin through "those stages" I keep tellin my boys to avoid!!! LOL....SHINY!!!...

A couple of suggestions:

Eurooptic has demo scopes for sale that are generally indistinguishable from new. Won't be as cheap as a scope you can pick up here in equipment exchange but I believe it comes with a full warranty and you can generally save some money vs. buying brand new.

I agree with Powderhoud - a lot of good glass for under $2000. A top of the line Burris, Bushnell or Vortex will really get you everything need for less than $2000. Trijicon Tenmile is also a good option and have been showing up for steep discounts off of MRSP recently. And if most of your shooting will be at under 500 yards, you really don't need to spend $2000 for a scope with extraordinary optics. And you can find something that's pretty rugged for less.

The Nightforce 2.5-20x is a solid scope and offers you an excellent zoom range. It is also fairly light, and Nightforce scopes have a reputation for being very rugged and well built. I have this scope and like it. However, you should be aware that it has a very shallow depth of field. That means if you set the parallax for a target that's 200 yards out, and then want to shoot a target that's 350 yards out the target will be pretty blurry and you will need to readjust your parallax. Never really been an issue for me because I don't hunt, shoot mostly static steel targets and don't do PRS style competitions where you're under a time limit, so I can take my time adjusting parallax/focus between targets. Could be more of an issue if you hunt and you don't want to be constantly fiddling with your parallax adjustment when you have a limited amount of time to get off your shot.

Fellas, I truly appreciate the amount of knowledge I'm gaining here, I've been known from time to time to hit a little hard on somethin, when I shoulda been a bit more patient about and you boys have given me a TON of food fer thought, I'm glad I decided to say somethin!!!....

Hello OP so what scope did you end up buying? I did notice you mentioned being able to hold zero after being dropped so I'd go with a Vortex Razor gen 2 assuming you're rough or careless oops carefree on your equipment. The other scope brands may not cover accidental or intentionally careless oops carefree damage. Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 is around equal in optical and turret quality by comparison for a lot less money but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way if they actually cover accidental damages which they supposedly claim.

I own a lot of different varieties of scopes in different tiers as well and the Tract Toric ELR is better than the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 and Vortex Razor Gen 2 but they don't cover accidental damages. I like it a lot better than the 4-20x50 Tract Torics I parted ways with due to miniscule total elevation travel and rather porky weight for only a 30mm tube plus the 4.5-30x56 Toric ELR has hands down better image quality too even if they claim to use the same German Schott glass the higher magnification version is superior according to my own eyes enough to part with the 4-20s. I might part with the ELR to order another Burris XTR PRO though the huge FOV on the Burris is unbelievable.

Last edited: