• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on barrel contour for 300WM Build

snpr700

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2004
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I need some help on a 300wm build and would like to get some input on what barrel contour and length. I'm going to use it for hunting and shooting steel at 1k. I'm guessing a sendero contour with 27 1/2" barrel would work. I also thought about a palma contour. A 6lb barrel with flutes would be my next guess but what barrel contour would get me that weight at 27"? What would be your advice? My build will be a Rem 700 LA with AICS stock, Nightforce 5.5x22x50. I'd like the rifle to weigh no more than 14lbs total. Thanks for any advice.

Re: Advice on barrel contour for 300WM Build

I'd go a #5 or #5.5 contour at 26" - this should get you out there & not weigh as much as a tank!!

A little unconventional, but I have a 22" #5 on mine. I use it for hunting and shooting out past 1000yds. I'm getting 2850'ish with 208 Amax's. That's 7.1 mils to 1000yds.

I have no regrets.

John

just reread your post... The AICS is a heavy stock (did a quick check and could not find exact weight) you may have to do what I did just to stay under your weight. I have a Tikka action, which is lighter than the R700 and mine comes in at 13.5 lbs. ready to field. It would have been 15-15.5 lbs. w/ a Sendero profile in 26". Just a thought...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snpr700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need some help on a 300wm build and would like to get some input on what barrel contour and length. I'm going to use it for hunting and shooting steel at 1k. I'm guessing a sendero contour with 27 1/2" barrel would work. I also thought about a palma contour. A 6lb barrel with flutes would be my next guess but what barrel contour would get me that weight at 27"? What would be your advice? My build will be a <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Rem 700 LA with AICS </span></span>stock, Nightforce 5.5x22x50. I'd like the rifle to weigh no more than 14lbs total. Thanks for any advice.
</div></div>

It's going to be tough keeping it under 14lbs if you use the AICS stock. I have a similar set up using the MTU contour. Haven't weighed it yet, but I am sure it's more than 14lbs. Here is a picture of it.
IMG_3572.jpg

I'm thinking of using a Brux #18 with the interrupted fluting to shave a little weight off. Thanks for the input guys.

I'm putting together a Winchester with a Remington Varmint Contour barrel and an A1-3. Probably be a lot lighter to do it that way.