• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on bipod feature (pan)

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
Looks like it will be an Atlas but not sure about the pan feature. Looks like the CAL is solid but gives up the pan ability as compared to (some of the) other models. Not planning on any PRS matches, not jumping fences or kicking down doors. Mostly stationary shooting for accuracy from prone. Just wanted some thoughts and experience from members who may have chosen one over the other. Thanks as always!

Doug

Get the CAL. Panning on the PSR model Atlas always irked me a little as I could never really lock it out. Love the CAL though! No panning, and can lock out the cant if needed. If you’re shooting square range, I’d go CAL forsure.

Reactions: Kasey
Well I reckon it will be the CAL with a QD. It will go on other rifles that already have a rail for mounting. Now for any real social purposes, like keeping some rat bastard kids off my beautiful crabgrass lawn, or a target that is perhaps a 42 long, (I'll take a peek at the inside of the coat collar of any of my daughter's romantic interests just to confirm coat size...🤔.....😁) I would just sling up-ain't gonna mess with a bipod- and give them the good news because that's what service rifle sluts do....still welcome comments and experiences.

Thank you for considering an Atlas Bipod. Pan is really of no use on square range where shooting positions are established. The CAL is a solid choice, American designed features, manufactured and assembled with lifetime warranty (not the big print giveth and small print taketh away kind, but it breaks, tell us how and we fix it!) make it good value too.

Krob95, we hear that about the V8 and PSR from some, but not all, so it's a legitimate observation as a preference and expectation thing. However, we like to meet or exceed expectations and hope to have some show-n-tell for the full featured Pan and Cant Atlas sometime. (intentionally left vague as it is a well known fact that I suck at time estimation on such things!)

I wish I’d gone with the cal and not the pan feature. Even after several shots off the bench, it will be out of square.

Thank you for the advice and testimony! I was using a Harris and grew tired of fighting with it. Especially the adjustment of the legs. It really hurts when you get a finger pinched in there when the legs draw up with a fierce snap! I'll use the Harris on a RWS air rifle, see how that goes...🤔

First, you could not choose a better company than B&T. Not that Kasey would remember me, but I definitely remember speaking to him on the phone and their customer service is excellent.
I have a PSR and a CAL. I use the CAL when i'm dropping down on reasonable flat ground and am able to get square to the target. I prefer the PSR for when i'm cattywhompus to the target or shooting off props that are positioned awkwardly, I will use the PSR. Honestly, I believe the PSR is a better, all around bi-pod and more flexible. If i need the pan turned off, i'm able to crank down, bare handed, hard enough for it to hold during a stage. It's just one of those things i check each time. However, truth be told, when i use the PSR, i like to have enough play that i can move the rifle, if need be.

I have both the PRS and a naked CAL. I am about to sell the PRS to a co-worker. I only used it a handful of times at the range and twice while hunting before I bought the CAL. Once I tried the CAL the PRS just went into the safe. @Kasey I hope you decide to do the naked CALs and SCAL in the future.

So first off...a Blessed Thanksgiving to our fellow members! I am the real me, self admitted service rifle slut, NOT a copycat:cautious:....anywho....
My CAL arrived last night-A big shout out to Joe at Precision Shooters for his advice and lightning fast delivery! Always try to support the commercial members when I can-and it really is quality kit.

I got the little rail to mount up and it looks like the two sling holes are not quite perfectly in line on the stock forend. Never noticed until I started lining things up earlier. Not sure how critical this is for my end use, but if I have to drill new holes and install new fasteners, I will move them towards the front as much as possible. I'll give an update later, I have my first aid kit ready (whiskey and duct tape) as I start putting it together!

Reactions: Precision Shooters