• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on bipod feature (pan)

agalmethu35

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2020
United States
Looks like it will be an Atlas but not sure about the pan feature. Looks like the CAL is solid but gives up the pan ability as compared to (some of the) other models. Not planning on any PRS matches, not jumping fences or kicking down doors. Mostly stationary shooting for accuracy from prone. Just wanted some thoughts and experience from members who may have chosen one over the other. Thanks as always!

i don't use a bipod with a pan feature (not that i am anybody).
if you are shooting for precision, and not firing into a sounder of hogs, you should be setup properly behind the rifle
panning without moving your body and position is counter to this, but that is jmo.
i suppose the pan feature does allow more possible leg positions, but doesn't sound like that is something you need.

Pan is not needed at all and adds movement to the bipod. If you want to move the gun left and right, use your body and natural point of aim. Go atlas cal gen 2 and don't look back.

Reactions: jcam
Most of the time panning is a pain in the ass. Its just another point of movement in your bipod that you don't generally need. The only time its useful is for moving targets, but most moving targets won't have you panning outside the angles you can get just in bipod slack and if they are, you're probably better off on a tripod anyway. None of the bipods that have the panning feature lock up very tight without wrenches meaning you can't lock out once your rifle is level, which is also a big problem for me.

The CAL solves pretty much all these issues at a lower price, plus added stability due to a widened base. Seems like a no brainer to me. While you're at it pick up some spiked feet, they're game changing on the ground.

I had a V10 PRS and sold it for the CAL for the above reasons and had far less issues. Still haven't found a bipod that I 100% love, but the CAL is getting close

Just my 2 cents worth

Reactions: Newbie2020
So funny, I thought I was in the Twilight zone as one "Douglas-001" posted this last Friday -

"Looks like it will be an Atlas but not sure about the pan feature. Looks like the CAL is solid but gives up the pan ability as compared to (some of the) other models. Not planning on any PRS matches, not jumping fences or kicking down doors. Mostly stationary shooting for accuracy from prone. Just wanted some thoughts and experience from members who may have chosen one over the other. Thanks as always!"

See here - https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/advice-on-bipod-feature-pan.7041887/#post-9033953

Wazup with this??

What are the odds someone posts the exact same question with the same wording as someone else?

Looks like it will be an Atlas but not sure about the pan feature. Looks likhttps://9apps.ooo/ e the CAL is solid but gives up the pan ability as compared to (some of the) other models. Not planning on any PRS matches, not jumping fences or kicking down doors. Mostly stationary shooting for accuracy from prone. Just wanted some thoughts and experience from members who may have chosen one over the other. Thanks as always!
issue got solvedd