• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Advice on brake threading....

cobbonthecorn

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2012
I hope I did not miss the obvious but I have been unable to find a discussion about barrel threading for brake mounted QD of suppressors. I will be purchasing, and waiting, for a suppressor (probably a TBAC 30BA for use with a .223 and a .308) within the week (waiting on trust) and have two rifles, one with a factor flash hinderer and the other bare. So, who have you had do barrel threading to meet the concentricity and alignment expectations of the suppressor manufactures? I'm in Michigan and we have plenty of gunsmiths that offer brake threading/timing services for $100-$150, but I'd like it to go well. How did you pick the gunsmith you worked with? Have you had to have factory threads reconditioned? Did it go as planned? Your experience and advice is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

http://thunderbeastarms.com/tech/thread-specifications

On our thread spec page, right under the first paragraph, we have a link to "known good" gunsmiths for threading. This is absolutely not to say that nobody else can do it. It is not rocket science but there are a number of gunsmiths out there who are not really qualified as machinists when it comes to threading.

Looking for the same thing here in Oregon. Dont want to mail 3 guns away and wait in a long line for undetermined time. Anyone know of one in Oregon/ Wash.?

Last edited:
Looking for the same thing here in Oregon. Dont want to mail 3 guns away and wait in a long line for undetermined time. Anyone know of one in Oregon/ Wash.?

I'm here in North Central Oregon. I just threaded my Remington 700P for a suppressor.

IMG_4466.jpg

I guess BlackOps Precision would be close to you Oregon guys. Dont know his lead times for something like that though....

Tornado Technologies is in Oregon and they are well known for very good work though they seem to be swamped most of the time.

As far as Detroit, as per TBAC's recommendations, I have to say +1 for Mark at Short Action Customs. He does superb work and is in Wellington, OH. A little under 2.5 hour drive according to Google Maps. I scheduled an appointment with Mark and drove up to see him - it about 1.5 hrs for me. He threaded my TRG-22 while I grabbed lunch in town. Not saying this is standard operating procedure for him, but it was incredibly convenient. He mailed the finished thread protector a few days later.

Beak down the rifle and send the barreled action to a known smith. No reason to mess around with you suppressor threads to save some shipping costs. In the scope of suppressor ownership this is a 1 time event per barrel that is pretty important. Shipping and insurance are 20-40 bucks.

I like in Kentucky and send my rifle and pistol barrels to accurate arms in Harrisonburg, VA. He does a great job and turns it around in a week for me. Call around and check on turn times from your favorite barrel smith. I have had him do three barrels for me already and have two sitting there as I type.

I'm getting to the point where I may just pay a local smith to strip the barrel and remount it when it comes back. Just wish doing things the right way wasn't so darn painful.

Pierce engineering in lansing and kampfeld customs is somewhere in the north detroit area do great work.