• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing advice on build ----- kinda long

lightman

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2009
England, ar
This was planned to be a long range varmint rifle,for after the critters get shy of the white truck,and the 223 is streched out.Remington 700 stainless short action with .473 bolt face,HS stock,Holland firing pin assy,Jewell trigger,Badger rings and bases,Kreiger Rem varmint contour barrel in 6.5mm,8.5 twist.Its all sitting in my safe,waiting to be put together.Originally planned to be a 6.5x284.My match rifle is in this caliber and I own the reamer and head space gauges.I also have brass,dies,ect,ect.
Now I'm having second thoughts.The BIG question is what other 6.5mm calibers do you guys like?I'm open for suggestions!I have two sets of 6.5x284 dies and don't mind running segregated lots of brass.I also don't mind re-tooling for another caliber.
You guys show pics of some nice rifles and I value your opinions.Thanks in advance. Pete

Re: advice on build ----- kinda long

i did a long range coyote hunting rifle a few months back. i did it in 260 and could not be happier. i did the 260 over the 6.5x284 due to barrel life. even though a hunting rifle doesn't usually see a ton of rds i like to take mine out and play often.

stiller action
26 in shelin #5 select match
rifle basix trigger
manners mcs-t stock
eagle stock pack
uso rings
badger dm (i added a rad latch after pic)
rifle now wears a nsx 5.5x22-56 not the br thats in the pics

group was @ 110 and i shot a 5 shot group @ 600 that i could cover with my fist

003-2-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

001-2.jpg

Nice looking rifle,Vette.Lapua getting into the 260 game does make it look very appealing.Thanks for the reply, Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Theodore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking rifle,Vette.Lapua getting into the 260 game does make it look very appealing.Thanks for the reply, Pete </div></div>

personally im not to excited over lapua brass now. had it been a option when i was looking for brass to start with i would have bought it no questions ask. now i have a few hundred nosler brass that are doing great so i dont think ill switch everything up.

to me lapua came to the table a little late but if your just starting in 260 id buy lapua. when i wear out my current brass ill probably give it a shot