• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

advice on buying a free standing safe

spotswood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Florida
What makes of safes are you guys using?
I have read that Sportsman Steel. Ft Knox, Halls are top safes. What else?
I need room enough for 8 rifles w/ large scopes, 6 extra rifles, 8 shotguns, and 25 pistols, and jewelry and camera and optics stuff. Will a 72"H x 51" W x 27"D hold all that?
What do guys suggest?
Gary

Re: advice on buying a free standing safe

I have two liberty safes!!

Buy the bigegst safe you can get and afford. once you start stuffing rifles with opics in you start loosinga lot of space real quick.

Also you will start storing other stuff other then guns in it like most of us.

look at sturdy safes. cool stuff there and a very good american owned company. safes all made here in the us of a

You probably could get it all in there, that's a big safe. However at that size I would get two and it's probably the same price, they'd be much easier to move and you could maximize one for long gun storage and the other do all shelves for the other goodies.

Bolt them together and to the floor once in place.

Things to consider..
1. Get one as big as you think you will need.. then double it.
2. Do you plan on staying in that house a LONG time? If so, will you sell the safe/s with the house? That will depend on size and trouble to move.
3. Take into account your wife will want to put her stuff in there too, as well as, camera, documents and ammo and mags. (Ammo and mags takes up quite a bit of room).
4. For long guns make sure you can get to them w/o having to empty the safe to get to the ones in the back.. which is a royal pain.
5. Lighting source is a very nice feature.
6. Handguns can be put on the door with some screws with rubber tubing around and then some velcro wrapped around them and stuck to the door fabric. Cheap and modular.

Good advice above, just my $.02 don't buy anything with an electronic key pad or lock
grin.gif

Thanks for all the responses. Not sure I understood one of them regarding getting two safes. Are you saying buying two smaller safes may be cheaper than buying one larger one?

When you buy a safe, are you better off buying from someone who sells close by where you live to minimize shipping expenses or do you negotiate that within the sale of the safe?
Does the purchase usually include setting the safe in the room where you want it?

I thought an electronic keypad was the way to go to avoid turning a dial every time you want to get into it?
I wanted electric into the safe for lighting and for a dehimidifier rod.
I was thinking hanging the pistols on the inside door maybe in holsers or on pegs was the most efficient and I had seen some safes offer a swing out frame for the rifles.

So Liberty is a popular make also from the responses I see here.
Thanks again

I bought a Cannon with the old school combo dial a few years ago. Its about 3' wide, 5' tall. Its a good size. I think for Liberty and Cannon, these are called '28 gun' size. They weigh over 500LBS empty. Mine was around $650 but they look to be closer to $1000 now.

My neighbor bought this monster safe weighs well over 1500 LBS it needed professional movers to move it, but once its in place its not going anywhere. I would rather have two safes my size for much less money, and more flexibility as to install locations, but its all personal preference.

I saw some various safes at Bass Pro on sale recently, but the electronic key pad was cheap plastic, and looked really flimsy. They were budget safes, better than nothing. I can't remember what brand they were.

I would say you can't go wrong with a mid-level Cannon or Liberty or other name brand, just get a good fire rating with thick door, and you will have a lifetime investment.

Thanks Storm:

I can see how having a smaller safe would be easier to move around.
I never thought that getting two smaller ones may be cheaper and better than one. I like that idea. Maybe a his/her pair of them:)
humongous one. I am cringing at the prices I see for these large safes from Ft Knox and other companies.

Where do most people buy Liberty from? Over the internet or like from Gander Mountain?

Thanks

That 3' wide x 5' tall is a great size. 2-3 guys can get it in a truck, and it will fit in a doorway using a dolly with 2 guys on it. If you move you can take it with you.

I did a quick google search and some places have free ship, but they are just burying the cost in the price. In large cities there are stores that carry all the brands, so I would buy local to support local business. You want to handle it in person before buying, just to check out the feel of the combo lock vs keypad style.

Also, its dry here, so I just put one of those little dessicant jars to collect moisture, but you may want to get a dehumidifier for your safe in FL.

Haaa! Your in Vegas. I lived and worked for years in Az. You are right, no need for a dessicant there.
I have several rechargeable dessicant cans here that I tried in my closets and directly in each gun case. They change in two days and then need to be put back in the oven to dry out. It was hopeless. I need a dehum electric rod.
I will start searching locally for sellers for Liberty and see what Gander has.
I am sold on the several smaller size concept. Maybe specialize each one:)

Have you placed yours directly on the floor or do you have a small base under them to keep them up off the floor?

I have had a Liberty for the past 8 years, it is a great safe but too freaking heavy, just over 1000lbs empty. I just sold it to a co-worker and am waiting on replacements. I purchased two smaller Liberty safes. I know I am moving someday and want the ability to move the safes with out paying someone or getting killed moving.

Liberty is on the higher end but you get what you pay for. Do your research, it will pay off.