• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Advice On "Do-All" Optic for 2 Caliber Origin Build

Gustav7

Son of a Gun...
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Ohio (OH)
    Ok sooooo I just don't shoot precision rifle as much any more as pistols take up 90% of my shooting time (just had 2nd kid). So for the foreseeable future, I'm putting together 2 calibers on one origin action. One will be an 18" 6.5cm(heavier barreled) for most of my shooting and one will most likely be a 7SS or 7SAUM(lighter barreled) for the occasional elk or pronghorn hunting, or occasional long range shooting(up to a mile).

I'm in Ohio so no rifles like this on deer; hunting would be out west with friends. I will say, I am not an avid hunter so maybe once a year or once every other year, I'll go hunting with this. Mainly will be target shooting, but the 7SS barrel will need to be light enough to hunt with. I don't mind carrying some extra weight, but action is 2lbs, chassis is most likely going to be 3.3lbs, so 20-22" lighter contour might be 4lbs?...so hoping to have one scope in the 20-30oz range that could be used for target and hunting.

Currently my scope line up is:
    Vortex Razor II 3-18 (46oz)
    Steiner P4xi 4-16 (32oz)
    Athlon Helos G2 2-12 (25oz, but not sure this is robust enough for 7SS elk trip)
    Burris RT-6 - used on carbines and lever guns.

Essentially, looking for advice on either consolidating my scopes into 1-2 better options for all-around use or understanding why one or the other is fine for my needs. Thinking of getting rid of the Vortex and getting something more manageable.

Just had a kid, so budget isn't super high and I'm utilitarian in nature so not looking to spend more than $500 extra, on top of selling 1-2 of the above scopes. So if I sold both the Razor and Steiner, that would give me maybe $1800-$2200 worth of budget.

Last edited:
    Vortex gen 3 6-36. Around 2k if you wait and know where to look. Heavy but you aren’t hunting a ton and their great competition/target scopes.

Attachments

• IMG_4760.png
      IMG_4760.png
      659.3 KB · Views: 70
    Reactions: TheOE800
    Vortex gen 3 6-36. Around 2k if you wait and know where to look. Heavy but you aren’t hunting a ton and their great competition/target scopes.

I have heard they are nice, but man 45oz is just too much. I'm also not fond of 6x minimum.

Generally, I have always like the 3-15/3-18 area. I was sort of looking at the March 1.5-15x but its a little pricey and not sure how great it is at 15x. I have also heard great things about the Burris XTR 3.3-18 and its 29oz. Not sure if I'm leaving something on the table with a $2k budget though with that scope.

I hear S3s are great too but I've never looked through it. I don't know this guy so always do your homework when buying from users online.

I have heard they are nice, but man 45oz is just too much. I'm also not fond of 6x minimum.

Generally, I have always like the 3-15/3-18 area. I was sort of looking at the March 1.5-15x but its a little pricey and not sure how great it is at 15x. I have also heard great things about the Burris XTR 3.3-18 and its 29oz. Not sure if I'm leaving something on the table with a $2k budget though with that scope.
    Ah, I missed the 3-15 requirement. Steiner T6xi is a great option, 2.5-15 and 3-18. You can get them used for under 2k.

Ah, I missed the 3-15 requirement. Steiner T6xi is a great option, 2.5-15 and 3-18. You can get them used for under 2k.
    I wouldn't say its a requirement, more just a generally preference based on past experience. I've had a 5-25 and 4.5-27 and while they're nice occasionally, I just never found myself shooting much past 15-18x anyways, so I started getting scopes in that range.

I'm not opposed to a 5-25 or in that range, but it'd have to check all the other boxes first, mainly weight and price.

I'd suggest Nightforce NX8 or Leupold Mk5 if you ever actually do any hiking around and hunting with it. LRP S3, XTR III, or T6Xi if you give up on that idea. I'm a big fan of the race dial on my XTR Pro...but I wouldn't want to be running around the mountains with it.

Reactions: Gustav7
    How about the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 F1? Listed weight is 28 oz, and the Mil XT is a nice reticle.
    I've read quite a few reviews about the eyebox and parallax being super finnicky. The 4-32 seems to be much more liked, but not sure is the 1.5x on the low end is a big enough difference to grab the 2.5-20 over the 4-32 if I did.

I'd suggest Nightforce NX8 or Leupold Mk5 if you ever actually do any hiking around and hunting with it. LRP S3, XTR III, or T6Xi if you give up on that idea. I'm a big fan of the race dial on my XTR Pro...but I wouldn't want to be running around the mountains with it.
    Well thats always the catch. I hike around a bit with my 6.5cm but thats just for fun and target shooting, and why I don't like the Vortex. Shaving a pound or more just in scope has benefits.

The XTR3 is only 29oz and the NX8 is 28oz I think, so not a huge difference and over a pound light than my gen 2 3-18.

reviews on the Mk5 seem to think there are better scopes for the money, but you can get them used relatively inexpensive. I would want illumination though.

I've read quite a few reviews about the eyebox and parallax being super finnicky. The 4-32 seems to be much more liked, but not sure is the 1.5x on the low end is a big enough difference to grab the 2.5-20 over the 4-32 if I did.
    I've looked at NX8s and I thought I was looking through Vortex's low end optics. Maybe the parallax and diopter wasn't set for me but I was kinda shocked. You should def look through one before you buy to see if it fits your taste.

For what you’re looking for and wanting illumination, I’d recommend the Razor LHT 4.5-22 or XTR3i.

If you could live without illumination then the Leupold mk5

I've looked at NX8s and I thought I was looking through Vortex's low end optics. Maybe the parallax and diopter wasn't set for me but I was kinda shocked. You should def look through one before you buy to see if it fits your taste.

Really seems like guys either love em or hate em lol. A buddy has a 2.5-20 so I’m gonna look through it and see.

For what you’re looking for and wanting illumination, I’d recommend the Razor LHT 4.5-22 or XTR3i.

If you could live without illumination then the Leupold mk5
    If I could find a used MK5 w/ illumination do you think it’s really a step up over the XTR3?

The longer I do this stuff the more I wish every brand backed up their shit like Vortex does… I’m semi-unlucky and can break anything, so for now on it’s Razors on pretty much everything.

The longer I do this stuff the more I wish every brand backed up their shit like Vortex does… I’m semi-unlucky and can break anything, so for now on it’s Razors on pretty much everything.

Doesn’t Burris have a no-nonsense warranty? I had an old Fastfire that wasn’t working and they sent me a newer FF2 for free

Really seems like guys either love em or hate em lol. A buddy has a 2.5-20 so I’m gonna look through it and see.

If I could find a used MK5 w/ illumination do you think it’s really a step up over the XTR3?

overall, i think the XTR3i is a great scope but I am very sensitive to CA, which the XTR3 and XTR Pro have an abundance of. The mk5 has better glass and turrets.

However, I would not pay the premium for the illuminated mk5 over an XTR3i. The upcharge for illumination is silly and you're underwater from a value standpoint, IMO

Doesn’t Burris have a no-nonsense warranty? I had an old Fastfire that wasn’t working and they sent me a newer FF2 for free

I had a bad experience just last week with a well-known company…

As a business owner who does almost anything to make shit right with customers (even when it wasn’t our fault) I’m starting to realize how rare outfits like Vortex (and ours) are.

Sell them all and buy a TT315M.
    LOL double my budget and I'm only willing to sell the Razor 2 and Px4i right now. Maybe one day. It's a pretty strict $2k budget and thats with selling both of those scopes.

The Steiner T6Xi series is pretty solid scope. Turrets are smaller but still have zero stop and locking turrets. Made and warranteed in Colorado.
    I was hoping to be under 30oz, although the 2.5-15 is 32oz. Not sure I'll notice a few ounces overall but ya they do look nice. Have you compared them to something like an NX8 or XTR3?

overall, i think the XTR3i is a great scope but I am very sensitive to CA, which the XTR3 and XTR Pro have an abundance of. The mk5 has better glass and turrets.

However, I would not pay the premium for the illuminated mk5 over an XTR3i. The upcharge for illumination is silly and you're underwater from a value standpoint, IMO
    I do not believe I am sensitive to it. I can never find it in any of my scopes and generally I know what to look for. I've done those little picture tests for CA and can never really tell much. I know it varies greatly from person to person.

I agree on the illumination with Leupold. It almost makes me want to say fuck em based on that principle lol. So ridiculous.

LOL double my budget and I'm only willing to sell the Razor 2 and Px4i right now. Maybe one day. It's a pretty strict $2k budget and thats with selling both of those scopes.

I was hoping to be under 30oz, although the 2.5-15 is 32oz. Not sure I'll notice a few ounces overall but ya they do look nice. Have you compared them to something like an NX8 or XTR3?
    Yes I've got the XTR3 non illuminated model (US made). Glass is comparable but I like the Steiner better overall for the feature set. I prefer the MSR2 reticle so it makes more sense in that aspect. I haven't looked thru the newer non US XTR3 so I can't speak to that but if you like the features of the XTR3 is is a great scope as well.

Yes I've got the XTR3 non illuminated model (US made). Glass is comparable but I like the Steiner better overall for the feature set. I prefer the MSR2 reticle so it makes more sense in that aspect. I haven't looked thru the newer non US XTR3 so I can't speak to that but if you like the features of the XTR3 is is a great scope as well.

I love my Steiner P4xi 4-16; very nice scope for the money but if I sell both of mine I can actually upgrade to one nicer tiered scope, hence this thread. If I could get the weight and reticle of my Steiner with the glass and features of my Razor I’d be happy.
    Which Steiner T6xi do you have?

Burris xtr 3 illuminated 3.3-18 seems like it would fit the bill pretty well.
    The newish tract 2.5-15 illuminated scope would fit the bill.
    Trijicon 3-18 ten mile

Personally, I'm over the Christmas tree reticles, I think they have some utility, but I can also live without them.
    I'm also no longer rabid about FFP and have found the 2.5-15 credo an excellent scope.

It's so much easier to just do a hunting Tikka and a proper range pig. Changing zeros sucks.

Ya I understand and if I shot more, or hunted more, I’d do that. I get that this is one setup that isn’t great at anything and I’m ok with that. I am mainly wanting a lighter, newer, and better scope within reason.

The majority of its life will be zeroed for an 18” 6.5. Then a few months before any hunt, I’ll switch over to 7SS and play with that for a few months or year, then switch back. Highly doubt I ever change it more than once a year, maybe less.

Burris xtr 3 illuminated 3.3-18 seems like it would fit the bill pretty well.
    The newish tract 2.5-15 illuminated scope would fit the bill.
    Trijicon 3-18 ten mile

Personally, I'm over the Christmas tree reticles, I think they have some utility, but I can also live without them.
    I'm also no longer rabid about FFP and have found the 2.5-15 credo an excellent scope.
    I do prefer the SCR and MIL-C reticles better. My main issue with something like the credo or xtr 3 is if my budget is $2k am I leaving anything on the table but sounds like the XTR3 is very well liked.

I think it was @Glassaholic that mentioned somewhere that NF must have changed something in the 2.5-20 through the years. He initially said he hated them when they were released but chanced across one recently and likes it now.

Last report I found from him:

Knowing him, he’ll swing by this thread 😆

I think it was @Glassaholic that mentioned somewhere that NF must have changed something in the 2.5-20 through the years. He initially said he hated them when they were released but chanced across one recently and likes it now.

I'm actually reading through that now...

I do think I've narrowed the search after some more reading based on this thread.
    Mainly considering:
    Steiner T6xi 3-18
    Burris XTRIII 3.3-18
    NF 2.5-20 (looking through a friend of mines to see if the "problems" exist for me)

Reactions: carbonbased
    Ok sooooo I just don't shoot precision rifle as much any more as pistols take up 90% of my shooting time (just had 2nd kid). So for the foreseeable future, I'm putting together 2 calibers on one origin action. One will be an 18" 6.5cm(heavier barreled) for most of my shooting and one will most likely be a 7SS or 7SAUM(lighter barreled) for the occasional elk or pronghorn hunting, or occasional long range shooting(up to a mile).

I'm in Ohio so no rifles like this on deer; hunting would be out west with friends. I will say, I am not an avid hunter so maybe once a year or once every other year, I'll go hunting with this. Mainly will be target shooting, but the 7SS barrel will need to be light enough to hunt with. I don't mind carrying some extra weight, but action is 2lbs, chassis is most likely going to be 3.3lbs, so 20-22" lighter contour might be 4lbs?...so hoping to have one scope in the 20-30oz range that could be used for target and hunting.

Currently my scope line up is:
    Vortex Razor II 3-18 (46oz)
    Steiner P4xi 4-16 (32oz)
    Athlon Helos G2 2-12 (25oz, but not sure this is robust enough for 7SS elk trip)
    Burris RT-6 - used on carbines and lever guns.

Essentially, looking for advice on either consolidating my scopes into 1-2 better options for all-around use or understanding why one or the other is fine for my needs. Thinking of getting rid of the Vortex and getting something more manageable.

Just had a kid, so budget isn't super high and I'm utilitarian in nature so not looking to spend more than $500 extra, on top of selling 1-2 of the above scopes. So if I sold both the Razor and Steiner, that would give me maybe $1800-$2200 worth of budget.
    Here's some solid options, since you mentioned shooting to a mile. Some might be slightly higher than your budget, but if you are a veteran, or current or former LE/MIL/First Responder, you can get a great discount on your scopes at EuroOptic, which would put the higher priced ones within range. Or, you could always apply for the Credova credit thing, where you can pay monthly for your scope. Just give them a call and talk to Clay Hawkins. 👍🏼

If you want lower magnification, here's some other great options...

Last edited:
    I love my Steiner P4xi 4-16; very nice scope for the money but if I sell both of mine I can actually upgrade to one nicer tiered scope, hence this thread. If I could get the weight and reticle of my Steiner with the glass and features of my Razor I’d be happy.
    Which Steiner T6xi do you have?
    I’ve got the 3-18 and 5-30. I would only consider the 3-18 for hunting, as the 5-30 is too large. If you review the numbers, you don’t save much size or weight going to the 2.5-15.

I’ve got the 3-18 and 5-30. I would only consider the 3-18 for hunting, as the 5-30 is too large. If you review the numbers, you don’t save much size or weight going to the 2.5-15.
    I didn't really want the 2.5-15 anyways. My biggest concern is the 3-18 is 34.5oz which is heavier than I wanted but damn I am liking everything the scope has to offer.

Not sure what an optimal weight is for a "crossover" rifle for target and hunting but saving 1/2lb on the scope might be noticeable, or it may be pointless.

If Leupold wasnt so stupid, I'd probably already have bought the 3.6-18x Illum PR-1 but they gotta be dumb like that.

Here's some solid options, since you mentioned shooting to a mile. Some might be slightly higher than your budget, but if you are a veteran, or current or former LE/MIL/First Responder, you can get a great discount on your scopes at EuroOptic, which would put the higher priced ones within range. Or, you could always apply for the Credova credit thing, where you can pay monthly for your scope. Just give them a call and talk to Clay Hawkins. 👍🏼

If you want lower magnification, here's some other great options...
    Shit I didn't know EuroOptic gave veteran discount. Signing up now.

Reactions: FuhQ
    Shit I didn't know EuroOptic gave veteran discount. Signing up now.
    Yep, give Clay a call, and he’ll get you the hookup. The Kahles k624i I linked you to is an awesome scope, and with your discount, will be well-within your budget. I have 2 of them. Same for the Zeiss LRP S3… Got one of these also. 👍🏼

If you want to save money, that Burris XTR-3i 3.3-18x50 I linked you above is a very solid performer. Nice turrets and excellent glass for its price range.

Yep, give Clay a call, and he’ll get you the hookup. The Kahles k624i I linked you to is an awesome scope, and with your discount, will be well-within your budget. I have 2 of them. Same for the Zeiss LRP S3… Got one of these also. 👍🏼

If you want to save money, that Burris XTR-3i 3.3-18x50 I linked you above is a very solid performer. Nice turrets and excellent glass for its price range.

I will, and I signed up for the discount. I like the price, but I'm pretty sure 6x minimum isn't going to be as useable for me. It's a tough compromise as I've had both and really prefer having that lower range.

I will, and I signed up for the discount. I like the price, but I'm pretty sure 6x minimum isn't going to be as useable for me. It's a tough compromise as I've had both and really prefer having that lower range.
    You can’t go wrong with the Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50. Excellent scope! 👍🏼

Reactions: nickw and Gustav7
    Zeiss is absolute ass to deal with on warranty issues. They tried to deny the warranty on a conquest I sent it because the box had a “display model” sticker on the box even though it was a new scope. Fuck that company. I’m not the only one that they’ve done similar shit to.

They also send everything back to the motherland to be fixed and it takes forever.

Cross over rifles and scopes always seem to fall into that realm of its not perfect for anything, but I do it too so I'll comment...

I do think the 3-4 bottom end with 15-20 top end is suitable fov for hunting with suitable magnification for target shooting most practical scenarios

If using to hunt twilight hours...
    Be careful of reticle design and maybe illumination, as well as just how much of a picture they can provide

QIf I could find a used MK5 w/ illumination do you think it’s really a step up over the XTR3?
    small sample size comparison.... it's a step up optically, but i doubt you could ever blame a miss on it.
    Yes, and Burris & Steiner are basically one and the same when it comes to service
    They also send everything back to the motherland to be fixed and it takes forever.
    ^True story... they are a little slow on repairs compared to others, and we got told the same about shipping for repair depending on the scope model at least.
    The longer I do this stuff the more I wish every brand backed up their shit like Vortex does… I’m semi-unlucky and can break anything, so for now on it’s Razors on pretty much eveverything.
    I don't believe I own any manufacturers optics that I haven't ended up sending something in for them to work on ( I'm the break an anvil with a rubber mallet given enough opportunity guy) ...
    Most of the optics companies have been good to work with overall even when the failure was between my own ears...
    Burris / steiner, vortex, Leupold, bushnell, NF, sig (I'm sure I'm forgetting some that did well) can all be mentioned in examples doing very well.
    I'm positive there are examples they all dropped the ball as well, but statistically any of those brands will take good care of you I believe.

Swingin’ by. Yep, I am not the only one who found early models that struggled optically while newer models seem to perform much better. I do not think NF will ever say they “improved” anything as that would mean many would feel their scope was suspect, but they wouldn't be the first mfr to do this. Makes it harder for the used market as you don't quite know what you’re getting.

As to the OP, I’m not sure what more I can say that hasn’t already been said.

Swingin’ by.
    Just so you know, just giving you crap about swinging by. I like it when you show up. It’s sorta like having tea with a pal at an expected time.

In other news,

:frank: <—- 👀 at this! One of a few “supporter emojis” lol just happened upon them in the interface

Last edited:
    Swingin’ by. Yep, I am not the only one who found early models that struggled optically while newer models seem to perform much better. I do not think NF will ever say they “improved” anything as that would mean many would feel their scope was suspect, but they wouldn't be the first mfr to do this. Makes it harder for the used market as you don't quite know what you’re getting.

As to the OP, I’m not sure what more I can say that hasn’t already been said.

Although you didn't comment on this thread, your input on this forum really helped me sift through the information and nuance to this topic. I really only wanted to do this once, at least for the foreseeable future.

I did end up going with a Steiner T6xi w/ MSR2 reticle. As my wife would say, "it spoke to me" lol.

I did look through a MK5 5-25 and an NX8 4-32 at cabelas for about a half hour, and honestly, preferred the 4-32 in that short intro to them. But the Steiner won me over.

Found a nice price on a lightly used one on here and bit. It's heavier than I wanted, but to be honest, my runners up were the 4-32 and the XTR 3 so I'm only giving up a few ounces.

Reactions: Tikkaguy and FuhQ
    Although you didn't comment on this thread, your input on this forum really helped me sift through the information and nuance to this topic. I really only wanted to do this once, at least for the foreseeable future.

I did end up going with a Steiner T6xi w/ MSR2 reticle. As my wife would say, "it spoke to me" lol.

I did look through a MK5 5-25 and an NX8 4-32 at cabelas for about a half hour, and honestly, preferred the 4-32 in that short intro to them. But the Steiner won me over.

Found a nice price on a lightly used one on here and bit. It's heavier than I wanted, but to be honest, my runners up were the 4-32 and the XTR 3 so I'm only giving up a few ounces.
    Glad I could help in a round about way ;) I've had some scopes "speak to me" as well, but some yelled and some whispered :ROFLMAO: Hmmm, maybe I should change my user name quote to "The Scope Whisperer" :sneaky:

Anyway, tell us what you think of the T6Xi after you get it and use it a bit, always good to hear feedback. Also, your new rig sounds pretty nice, send pics once done. Here's my latest - it is a Defiance AnTi X with Proof CF 18" 6.5 PRC in a Manners LRH with mini chassis and Hawkins BM and yes... that is a T6Xi 3-18x56 on there ;)

20230922_Defiance_Proof_6.5PRC_Steiner_3-18x56_0004.jpg

Glad I could help in a round about way ;) I've had some scopes "speak to me" as well, but some yelled and some whispered :ROFLMAO: Hmmm, maybe I should change my user name quote to "The Scope Whisperer" :sneaky:

Anyway, tell us what you think of the T6Xi after you get it and use it a bit, always good to hear feedback. Also, your new rig sounds pretty nice, send pics once done. Here's my latest - it is a Defiance AnTi X with Proof CF 18" 6.5 PRC in a Manners LRH with mini chassis and Hawkins BM and yes... that is a T6Xi 3-18x56 on there ;)

View attachment 8242142

I prefer the Scope Tickler LOL.

Very nice build, and looks great. I bet she's pretty lightweight with that setup.

How are YOU liking the Steiner so far? I've had a P4xi 4-16 for a few years, so if this T6xi is exciting

I prefer the Scope Tickler LOL.
    That can be taken in so many different ways :ROFLMAO:
    Very nice build, and looks great. I bet she's pretty lightweight with that setup.
    Thanks, it was a long but fun project. My goal was under 10 lbs (without suppressor) and she just made that with the beefy Steiner.
    How are YOU liking the Steiner so far? I've had a P4xi 4-16 for a few years, so if this T6xi is exciting
    I would like it a lot more if the reticle had brighter illumination at 3x, one of my main requirements with a crossover scope is a reticle that's usable at bottom mag and this one isn't ideal with the thin MSR2. Outside of that, there is a lot to like with this scope, not quite as good as ATACR 4-16x42 in overall optical performance, but has much wider FOV than ATACR and very clean edge to edge which gives this scope the advantage IMHO. Turrets not as good as ATACR but not horrible and 2nd rev window numbers are a big plus. The elevation "lock" on mine moves the turret every time (windage lock is just right) so I've sent the scope back to Steiner/Burris in Greeley and we'll see what they do (I have had mixed results for Steiner/Burris warranty service). If the scope comes back with elevation lock as "light" as windage I will be very happy. Low light results showed this scope was brighter than ATACR which is not too surprising with 56mm vs 42mm but I also had Schmidt US 3-20x50 and I didn't see a massive difference so YMMV. All in all, I think the T6Xi 3-18x56 scope compares very favorably and surpasses a lot of the $2k market so far.

I would like it a lot more if the reticle had brighter illumination at 3x, one of my main requirements with a crossover scope is a reticle that's usable at bottom mag and this one isn't ideal with the thin MSR2. Outside of that, there is a lot to like with this scope, not quite as good as ATACR 4-16x42 in overall optical performance, but has much wider FOV than ATACR and very clean edge to edge which gives this scope the advantage IMHO. Turrets not as good as ATACR but not horrible and 2nd rev window numbers are a big plus. The elevation "lock" on mine moves the turret every time (windage lock is just right) so I've sent the scope back to Steiner/Burris in Greeley and we'll see what they do (I have had mixed results for Steiner/Burris warranty service). If the scope comes back with elevation lock as "light" as windage I will be very happy. Low light results showed this scope was brighter than ATACR which is not too surprising with 56mm vs 42mm but I also had Schmidt US 3-20x50 and I didn't see a massive difference so YMMV. All in all, I think the T6Xi 3-18x56 scope compares very favorably and surpasses a lot of the $2k market so far.

Appreciate the insight. I'll do an update soon. I should have it this weekend.

Reactions: Glassaholic