• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Advice on finish please

dreamdrummr

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2009
Hammond, Louisiana
Hello everyone....
I read countless posts concerning different gun finishes and unless I missed it, I couldnt find an answer to my question...
Anyways my question is: Has anyone had any experience using Aluma-hyde from Brownells? I've painted several guns before using krylon and they held up pretty well. Of course I dont use my guns as a machete or a boat paddle, I'm usually pretty careful.
I guess my concern is wear resistance and how does it hold up against solvents, etc?
Thank everyone for the wealth of info here!
I recently had back surgery, so I can spend all day and most of the night reading!

Re: Advice on finish please

As long as extreme heat isn't involved you should be ok. Just wouldn't use it on a FA can!

I'm really impressed with Durabake at the moment - no mixing, short oven cure and tough smooth matt finish using an inexpensive airbrush.

Relatively small range of colours but cover the ones I want.

TC

I've used Aluma-Hyde II a few times on some hunting guns and such , it holds up alot better than the Krylon but not as tough as Dura-Coat or the other bake on finishes. Its also a bit thicker so it you pained the bolt on a rifle it would like liy wear off fast and may cause some binding.

The complete kits that you get from Dura-Coat are pretty good but I'd advise using an air compressor rather than the compressed air in a can that comes with the kit