• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on loading VLD's for the first time

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
I just got in some "sample" bullets from JLK "Swampworks" and I've never loaded a VLD before. Right now they're going in a 30-06

My current pet load is topped with a 178 Amax and I seat them to contact the rifling upon bolt closure. I got some of the 175 VLD and 180 VLD with Long Boat Tail.

I have seen some discussing as to "jumping" a VLD or NOT to do that. I've never had any experience with this type of bullet before, can some guys give me a hand with it? Sorting through the search list is making my eyes water.

Re: Advice on loading VLD's for the first time

Jump'em 0.020", keep adding powder until you reach desired velocity and accuracy or pressure signs show up. JLKs have less bearing surface so you'll need more powder to get same velocity. OAL will be significantly longer also.

Factory chamber/throat? If yes, you'll most probably not be able to touch lands and have any bearing surface of the bullet in the case. You can jump the VLDs 0.200" and make them shoot but you'll be way over any published load data due to the long free bore, reduced bearing surface of bullet.

If you have a 10 twist barrel, get some 210 JLKs to really take advantage of the -06 case.

Re: Advice on loading VLD's for the first time

FCS- thanks for the info.

The rifle is a mauser with a very tight custom chamber and a 1:10 twist.

I can touch the lands, I was messing with them the other night and just seated a few to see how far out they hang before touching the lands. IIRC the COL was about 3.43 instead of the 3.39 that the Amax was doing.

A 20 thou jump would be nicer so that I can load them more than 1 at a time in the OEM 8x57 mag well.