• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on moving to the south east vs south west

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    Long story short my kids are graduating in a few weeks, my house is under contract, and I'm done with the snow and cold in Maine. I grew up in north west Georgia, so the SE is home to me.

My wife and I are relocating this summer. We have been making scouting trips to check out areas of interest and will continue to, but I thought I would ask here to get some hopefully first hand input. Here's the criteria:

We both cycle a lot, I race endurance mountain bikes (I don't do any gravity stuff anymore) and my wife and I enjoy gravel. My wife is really into rock climbing, sport climbing specifically. She loves sandstone.

We have been looking at Western NC (Brevard to Boone), Eastern Tennessee (just west of Chattanooga, and outside Dayton and Wartburg), and extreme South West Virginia as there is good climbing there. We will be making a trip to North Central and North West Arkansas next month. But we are both also interested in Arizona, New Mexico, and southern Utah.

I would love some thoughts and input on the various areas we are looking at. How expensive is the cost of living, what is the political climate is like, how's the weather, etc.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: AMGtuned
    If you like snowboarding/Skiing I suggest NM. Taos is pretty awesome. The politics suck and it's pretty poor. That said you can own suppressors and SBRs in NM. Lots of great mountain biking, hiking and camping. If you stay in the Northern part of the state the summers are very pleasant, but the winters get a bunch of snow.

I have thought about retiring to Los Alamos when I do retire.

Long story short my kids are graduating in a few weeks, my house is under contract, and I'm done with the snow and cold in Maine. I grew up in north west Georgia, so the SE is home to me.

My wife and I are relocating this summer. We have been making scouting trips to check out areas of interest and will continue to, but I thought I would ask here to get some hopefully first hand input. Here's the criteria:

We both cycle a lot, I race endurance mountain bikes (I don't do any gravity stuff anymore) and my wife and I enjoy gravel. My wife is really into rock climbing, sport climbing specifically. She loves sandstone.

We have been looking at Western NC (Brevard to Boone), Eastern Tennessee (just west of Chattanooga, and outside Dayton and Wartburg), and extreme South West Virginia as there is good climbing there. We will be making a trip to North Central and North West Arkansas next month. But we are both also interested in Arizona, New Mexico, and southern Utah.

I would love some thoughts and input on the various areas we are looking at. How expensive is the cost of living, what is the political climate is like, how's the weather, etc.

Thanks in advance
    Check out uniontown Alabama!

If you like snowboarding/Skiing I suggest NM. Taos is pretty awesome. The politics suck and it's pretty poor. That said you can own suppressors and SBRs in NM. Lots of great mountain biking, hiking and camping. If you stay in the Northern part of the state the summers are very pleasant, but the winters get a bunch of snow.

I have thought about retiring to Los Alamos when I do retire.
    I'm trying to escape the snow. I want to ride the bike year round. Fat biking isn't a thing in my world either haha

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
    Stick with Georgia..... It's like going back and playing on an old baseball field.
    In your search, eliminate any region where "Everyone is moving to"........
    Look for a Georgia county where the population has declined.
    Take the money you save and buy an RV to travel to the spots you enjoy...
    Then go back to a quiet, sleepy Georgia county.
    You will get old, physically, faster than you can imagine.

I'll give it a look. I know there is a decent climbing crag on the GA border
    I’m just messing with you man. Don’t look it up😂 in all seriousness, check out Guntersville Alabama. Northeast Georgia mountains are very nice as well! I’m in Tuscaloosa and it’s a nice place the lefties haven’t intruded too much yet. Best of luck on the search

Reactions: jbell and jMarine
    Stick with Georgia..... It's like going back and playing on an old baseball field.
    I hear ya, but there really isn't any climbing in GA. I'm not that old yet, and I'm going to keep the hammer down as long as I can. My plan is to wear out not rust out. Ha, meaning we are moving to a location where we can enjoy our sports everyday. So it needs to be close to home (20 min drive or less to get to the trails or crag).

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
    If it were me I'd scratch NM off the list- it's a solid blue state where leftists are taking over from the moderates- just a matter of time before they enact more restrictive gun control.

NC as a whole is under attack by the Left because their voting laws have allowed them to be vulnerable to fraud and ballot harvesting. Western NC especially near the mountains isn't far from being 'woke'.

Me- I'd stick to red states like GA, SC, TN, AL, UT, AZ.

If it were me I'd scratch NM off the list- it's a solid blue state where leftists are taking over from the moderates- just a matter of time before they enact more restrictive gun control.

NC as a whole is under attack by the Left because their voting laws have allowed them to be vulnerable to fraud and ballot harvesting. Western NC especially near the mountains isn't far from being 'woke'.

Me- I'd stick to red states like GA, SC, TN, AL, UT, AZ.
    I'd take AZ off that list as CA people have been moving there in droves and it's leaning left

Reactions: T-dog and jbell
    I'd take AZ off that list as CA people have been moving there in droves and it's leaning left
    AZ has had their governor's seat and two senate seats stolen because of weak voting laws that allow for ballot box stuffing and fraud in Maricopa county, and a ton of Kommiefornians have invaded AZ... But AZ is being fought for and I'm cautiously optimistic that Americans will save AZ from the Dems.

@jbell

It's been 25 years since I mtb in Maine. I do remember it to be similar to the stuff I did in PA. You find that if you go south to stay away from snow that the mtb is flatter and not as challenging. For me being older it's not a problem and I still enjoy it, but it's different.

i escaped from MD about 3 years ago and found my way to the Charleston SC area. I love it here. People are awesome and so is the weather. July-Aug can be pretty hot but otherwise, a really nice place to live. Finally able to get more into the sport i love (ELR).

Reactions: jbell
    @jbell

It's been 25 years since I mtb in Maine. I do remember it to be similar to the stuff I did in PA. You find that if you go south to stay away from snow that the mtb is flatter and not as challenging. For me being older it's not a problem and I still enjoy it, but it's different.
    It's similar to PA, I have raced there some. I grew up riding north Georgia, South East Tennessee it was pretty good there too.

You forgot to include the weather at the moment, and what song may have been playing on the radio...

But just know that whatever you do to fix the engine problem, they will come back in a week and claim it’s your fault that the windshield wipers are streaking now.

We have been looking there as well. Do you live close? Any more thoughts? How's the mountain biking?
    No. I’m about 40 miles south of Louisville. I have hiked there in the past. Another positive in the Elk herd.

SW VA; don't forget the state is getting overrun by DC politics. I could only wish it was going to slow down but one election cycle will crumble the state.

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
    TN is fairly cheap to live. No state income tax, though sales tax is higher than average. Outside the four big cities its very conservative. We repealed almost all knife laws in 2014. Constitutional carry state.
    Lots of hills to give a good workout on a bike. Some climbing and rappelling.

SW VA; don't forget the state is getting overrun by DC politics. I could only wish it was going to slow down but one election cycle will crumble the state.
    I am very aware, but as of the last election it looked like it may be turning back in our favor. But yes I'm tracking that

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    Out west ain't nothin 20 minutes away. I've got regional destination (100+ miles) MTB trails 1/2-mile out my back door, but the 1000-yd shooting range is 90 minutes, bouldering/TR is 20 minutes, groceries, church, big city is 30 minutes. That's the close stuff. It's a 2+ hour drive for several "local" climbing areas (I-V) and I can see "the mountain" from my front porch. Little lake is 90 minutes away, but haul the boat 3 hours several times a years for the two next closest lakes. The GMU I live in would take 4 solid hours to drive around, and it's only medium sized. 25k miles/year on my truck including working from home during covid. Used to drive 5-8 hours each way for a competitive TKD tournament. You get used to driving a lot.

the nice thing about AZ tho is that you can escape most of that if you're outside Phx. Not nearly as many jobs for the Californians in the mountains...

When I'm here (NoVA), I miss the wide open spaces. When I'm there, I miss the green and trees.

I'd love to figure out a way to snowbird

M

Aside from evaluating the states, their landscapes, taxes, and politics l would pay attentions to communities. Where do I find a community that can, with me as a contributing member, best weather the ongoing disintegration of our society?

The problem with a lot of the 'go to' places is that newcomers settle outside of established communities in new developments or on remote lots with little logistic and social infrastructure. That's not a good place to be when the shit hits the fan unless you have an Amish-sized family. Think in terms of the English "hamlet" or the German "Weiler". A group of people who know each other well and collaborate as a matter of life. Sharing tools/equipment, bartering foods, tending to livestock when one is 'out of town' for a while, knowing what dog belongs to whom...

You should also draw "exclusion zones" on the national map. Mine are:
    • all metropolitan areas. Diversity of cultures sounds nice until people get desperate.
    • common tracks of hurricanes and tornado alley. Who needs cows flying through the air?
    • areas with frequent draughts. Thirst sucks - really.
    • close to missile silos and downwind from nuclear sites. Just in case DC starts WW3 over the laundromat in Eastern Europe.

Reactions: Smitty192
    From what you describe I'd say go back to where you grew up.

I live in Prescott Valley Arizona and am looking at Tennessee and Georgia because I miss the lakes/trees/good food/friendly people.
    "A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it." George A. Moore

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    SW is too short of water to be on my list. You're coming from a place with plenty of fresh water. Don't take it for granted.

As long as you stay out of the cities in Virginia youre ok. For now. But the poison has been set and is slowly taking effect. Still a beautiful state that I miss.

Wehn I left Virginia I first looked to Ga. and AL. but the humidity is stifiling in the summer.and the winters tend to be gray and overcast.

I moved to Olahoma which I love. Best gun laws in the Us. Good people, summers are hot and dry, winters are mild compared to the NE, good climbing in spots...the Wichita Game Refuge just nw of Lawton has great rock formations. Housing is reasonable.

But if climbing is high on your bucket list, the Southwest is the place. Sounds like youre of an age where the 2A thing wont bother you too much longer and the rural areas are still conservative. Most of them are vast and relatively unpatrolled. Just stay out of the shitties,

My #1 concern with that area…
    And a valid one. There are ways to research the water tables. NM at least has some large aquafers. I'm really happy to see lake Powell and Meade filling again, hope the trend continues. Those are 2 beautiful place to go, and they supply the Grand Canyon, a unique treasure. I dont know what the restrictions but you could climb a different trail every day for the rest of your life and never leave the canyon.
    The real problems lie near the larger cities, Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas and SoCal. Deserts that were never intended to have huge cities.

I have always heard that Georgia was a nice place, at least in the rural areas. The hunting is close range because of all the trees. Really, any rifle will do because at 150 yards and less, whatever you have will bring down a beast.

I live in Texas where you can pick from swamp and bayou to heavily forested (the Piney Woods) to the desert in west Texas with mountains and canyons. There is a state park south and east of Amarillo near a place called Turkey call the Cap Rock Canyon SP. Most times, it is open for hikers. 1 week or so in December, it is closed to the general public in order to allow draw winners to hunt mule deer with a rifle. It is compartment hunting. You are assigned an area and direction. Expect freezing conditions. Expect to make shots at 200 yards plus. It turns out that you cannot get a mulie by putting salt on its tail and there are not a lot of trees to hide behind or on.

I have thought about areas of TN and NC especially near Oak Ridge. Not far from Windrock. Or further east like Canton NC.

The water instability in the SW is a concern for me also. Some buddies left the SW they were outside of Prescott Valley and having to haul water in.

I live in NW Georgia about 10-15 minutes from Chattanooga.

There is a lot of good climbing within 30-45 minutes or so of Chattanooga. Check out Rock Town on Pigeon Mountain (mostly bouldering, but there are a few good long climbs), Stone Fort/ Little Rock City, and Prentice Cooper. There are also places to climb on Lookout Mountain

All kinds of caves if you are into that. Check out Ellisons Cave and PettyJohns Cave.

Lots of hiking trails and not too far from the Smoky Mountains.

I’m not a mountain biker, but I am sure there are a lot of good trails around.

Tennessee has no state income tax, Georgia does. Sales tax / property tax is a little cheaper in Georgia.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. If you end up in the area, first beer is on me.

We're planning on moving from IL to TN this summer; likely near Crossville, but TBD. @missed, Oak Ridge has a 1,000yd range. Other benefits are: I won't be branded (as readily) a criminal for exercising my 2A rights, no income tax, much lower property taxes, hopefully no litter boxes for the kids in school, no neighbors, acerage... I could keep going. There are some negatives, but they are far outweighed by the benefits.

I live in NW Georgia about 10-15 minutes from Chattanooga.

There is a lot of good climbing within 30-45 minutes or so of Chattanooga. Check out Rock Town on Pigeon Mountain (mostly bouldering, but there are a few good long climbs), Stone Fort/ Little Rock City, and Prentice Cooper. There are also places to climb on Lookout Mountain

All kinds of caves if you are into that. Check out Ellisons Cave and PettyJohns Cave.

Lots of hiking trails and not too far from the Smoky Mountains.

I’m not a mountain biker, but I am sure there are a lot of good trails around.

Tennessee has no state income tax, Georgia does. Sales tax / property tax is a little cheaper in Georgia.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. If you end up in the area, first beer is on me.
    What town are you in? I grew up in Ringgold...

We're planning on moving from IL to TN this summer; likely near Crossville, but TBD. @missed, Oak Ridge has a 1,000yd range. Other benefits are: I won't be branded (as readily) a criminal for exercising my 2A rights, no income tax, much lower property taxes, hopefully no litter boxes for the kids in school, no neighbors, acerage... I could keep going. There are some negatives, but they are far outweighed by the benefits.
    Dead Zero has a 1000 range in Spencer, TN (about 45 minutes from Crossville).

Reactions: CSGambill
    I don’t know anything about living south or southeast, but we enjoy the heck out of the south western states. If you make it out this way to Colorado for another scouting trip let me know. You won’t be disappointed!
    This is my backyard….love it here!

Grand junction sucks balls. The meth heads and homeless barely outnumber the cartel human traffickers. There's snow half the year. The other half is 105 degrees. The trails are mud and the rock complete trad climbing choss pile brown sugar. Stay away. 15 round mag restrictions

Grand junction sucks balls. The meth heads and homeless barely outnumber the cartel human traffickers. There's snow half the year. The other half is 105 degrees. The trails are mud and the rock complete trad climbing choss pile brown sugar. Stay away. 15 round mag restrictions
    Sadly Colorado is hard off my list for its population and political issues.

If you enjoy long range shooting the south east seems to suck.

Public lands and access is extremely limited.

The west everything is spread out, and it's all purple.

Florida is about the only place to truly escape the snow. But then you're in Florida.

Reactions: BCP
    Southern Utah is an interesting place depending on what you like. Excellent mountain biking and plenty of areas to shoot long range. Winters are pretty mild, rarely get snow, and summers are hot and dry....very dry. It is a prettier desert compared to Vegas.

Out west ain't nothin 20 minutes away. I've got regional destination (100+ miles) MTB trails 1/2-mile out my back door, but the 1000-yd shooting range is 90 minutes, bouldering/TR is 20 minutes, groceries, church, big city is 30 minutes. That's the close stuff. It's a 2+ hour drive for several "local" climbing areas (I-V) and I can see "the mountain" from my front porch. Little lake is 90 minutes away, but haul the boat 3 hours several times a years for the two next closest lakes. The GMU I live in would take 4 solid hours to drive around, and it's only medium sized. 25k miles/year on my truck including working from home during covid. Used to drive 5-8 hours each way for a competitive TKD tournament. You get used to driving a lot.
    Gemsbak is 100% correct in this post.

That being said where I am from in Maine I would likely be calling JBell a "southerner". I ended up in AZ about 40 years ago and there is a lot to like here. If MTB is your thing and you are snow averse it's not a bad choice. I know of three 1000yd rages in reasonable drive time (2 less than an hour). I still view the mountains every mourning and give thanks to God's handiwork. Hunting is great here if you are into that, but I don't recommend the fishing vs back home in Maine. I am kind of spoiled in that regard. A busy day on my favorite Maine lake (10K+ acres, 38 islands) means seeing over three boats.
    AZ is not a bad choice. Hope you find a great place to settle.

Last edited:
    If you enjoy long range shooting the south east seems to suck.

Public lands and access is extremely limited.

The west everything is spread out, and it's all purple.

Florida is about the only place to truly escape the snow. But then you're in Florida.
    Ha! So true, I just can’t do Florida. I need some mountains…

Never thought of that way. Really like the idea of a quiet, isolated homestead and traveling for your hobbies.