• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on over-gassed options?

rob.sfo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Contra Costa County, CA
I've got a 7.5" AR Pistol that is over-gassed, ejecting brass at around 1:30ish. Currently has a 3oz buffer.

My current thinking is just to get a heavier buffer to tame it a bit. I'm also considering an ARMASPEC STEALTH RECOIL SPRING. Does anyone have any recommendations on what weight buffer I should use? I'm thinking H2 or H3. Or maybe I just get a set of weights to figure it out, then get the Stealth Recoil Spring if I want to further smooth it out, reduce the twang, etc.

I'm wanting to stay away from an adjustable gas block. The thinking here is that this is a beater / duty / HD type of setup that stresses reliability, so the less things that can fail or require tuning, the better. Is this rational? Or should I just suck it up and get the adjustable block?

Thanks,
Rob

Get the strike industries block just makes the hoke smaller nothing to loosen up or loose or fail.

Reactions: rob.sfo
Most pistols are overgassed. The best answer is to tame the gas. A decent adjustable block is not a liability to reliability.

That said, a H or H2 may also be a good idea regardless and would be an easy first step.

I run H2 in my 10.5s.

11.5" or shorter, should always start with a H2 buffer. I would try that with a 308 spring... if that doesn't help, then AGB it is.

Armaspec srs doesn’t have adjustable weights, jp silent capture spring does have interchangeable weights. You could go with theirs and have weights to change out. I would also get a adjustable gas block. Just adjust it then lock it and forget it.

Reactions: Tono and rob.sfo
Lots of great advice here, thanks everyone.

Is the Seekins Select Adjustable Gas Block a good option? I can get one for $0 (via a gift card) so it's currently at the top of my list for that reason. :)

Do it.

I have only used their set screw adjustable block (the ~$60 version) but they've been excellent, and I've thought about buying that select model next time.

On the Armaspec setup - I have a couple of the Stealth model and like them, they are pretty decent. You can buy the different weights, but it's better to just get the weight you need to start with; they go up to H2 or H3.

However - with your gun that far overgassed, trying to tame it with a heavier buffer is like driving your car around with the accelerator to the floor and adjusting speed with the brakes. Throttling the gas back on your rifle instead will give you a better end result.

I would start with a heavy buffer. That might do all you need. I had a RRA 16" that was horrifically overgassed. Dropped in an ST-T3 and it totally changed the rifle. Definitely try an H2 and H3.

I'm also a huge fan of adjustable gas blocks. If a heavier buffer doesn't get your brass to 3-4 o'clock then use one. You don't really need both, though. With an adjustable block you can reduce the gas enough so that the carbine buffer works fine.

-Stooxie

You can do the same thing on your own with any gas block, just need an 8-32 tap to thread the gas hole, a selection of short 8-32 set screws, and a few number size drills to drill through the set screws. I've done several gas blocks this way myself (it's a great way to tune a system that has an A2 front sight gas block) and it works really well; the big downside is that it can take a few times installing and removing the gas block to get the port sizing right. Once it's set it's a solid system.

Reactions: Niznac
Lots of great advice here, thanks everyone.

Is the Seekins Select Adjustable Gas Block a good option? I can get one for $0 (via a gift card) so it's currently at the top of my list for that reason. :)
If you also use with Suppressor then this is the one (y)(y)(y)
if not Seekins LOW PROFILE ADJUSTABLE GAS BLOCK

BB7A6E9B-CE8B-41C7-949B-775FC0C51F9D.jpeg

this is for new AR15 Proof Research 18” barrel with Seekins select adjustable gas block

Last edited:
Have 11.4” Wilson Combat barrel with Wilson Combat adjustable gas block ( H2 buffer )

itis very nice shooting SBR (Pistol)

C57D177C-F853-4140-9E98-8CD6FED6488B.jpeg

C3BB2594-17F5-4B26-A9AB-FD05CC5EB6FB.jpeg

If when you you have different ammo can not shooting will ( ~~~ eject ~~~ )then can do select adjustable increase more gas ~~ or ~~~
or when gas block get Dirty less gas , then you can Instantly increase more gas ( level adjustable) keep shooting :)

Last edited:
I use a Vltor A5 buffer tube with a rifle length spring from sprinco. Can’t remember the buffer weights but they are heavy on a DD10.3/BCM11.5 and that seems to work well for me. I also think JP has the silent capture buffer systems with a chart that might be able to help you out.

See, I was trying to get you to admit the actual problem, but you wont. Cause then your argument would collapse on itself.....hint, it's got too much gas. You saw put a heavy buffer in it to take cyclic rate, well that also adds increased reciprocating mass which fucks with follow through, speed of follow up shots, and adds nose dive when all that heavy shit slams forward. The proper fix is to lessen the gas flow....hint, an adj gasblock. Schools out.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
What was your old username here, you dont seem to have much sense and your demeanor and language tells me everything I need to know about you. All that, combined with a know it all attitude and smugness, tell me that you're always right even when you're completely wrong and clueless. Fine you win the internet tough guy, you're right, an overgassed rifle needs more buffer not less gas....hint, gtfo.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Dumbfuck...you are in wayyyyyyy over your pointy head. Hint.

You can NOT,reset a trigger "faster" than a heavy buffer slows cycling. Hint.

I enjoy you Clueless Fucking Droolers talking out your asses,with your newfound Lego Kit. hint.

LAUGHING!
Its too bad you're not as smart as you think you are, you'd really have something if your brain could keep up with the poor grammar and nonstop irrelevant pictures.

I suppose when your cars A/F ratio is running lean you probably stick a sock in the intake to balance it back out too.

• Haha
Reactions: Sieg
Its too bad you're not as smart as you think you are, you'd really have something if your brain could keep up with the poor grammar and nonstop irrelevant pictures.

I suppose when your cars A/F ratio is running lean you probably stick a sock in the intake to balance it back out too.
I see his posts are gone now, but that guy sounds just like a guy (using the term loosely) who posts as Big Stick or Boxer on other forums. He's got some issues; if you look at his old posts (like ~10 years ago) on other forums he had some good input, but has gone completely off the deep end now. Not sure what the deal is, don't really care, just be forewarned if trying to interact with him.

Reactions: Lawless
I see his posts are gone now, but that guy sounds just like a guy (using the term loosely) who posts as Big Stick or Boxer on other forums. He's got some issues; if you look at his old posts (like ~10 years ago) on other forums he had some good input, but has gone completely off the deep end now. Not sure what the deal is, don't really care, just be forewarned if trying to interact with him.
Same guy. I've been warned (nearly banned) not to speak ill of him.

Reactions: Yondering
Yada yada sandbaggin yada yada illuminator yada yada hint.

I think he’s very smart and definitely is out there shooting but his demeanor ruins any chance to pass it along.