• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on rifle and cartridge for ELR out to 2 miles.

Craniotome

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2012
Florida
I am starting to look at getting a rifle to take my ELR out even farther. I’ve been shooting my 338 Lapua out to a mile consistently and have gone to 2200 yds in Arizona. I have access to a 2 mile range here in Florida and am debating 375 cheytac vs 416 Barrett. I’m leaning towards a desert tech with custom barrel but looking for thoughts and suggestions before I jump in.

Either is worth considering for your application. The 416 Barrett having a higher overall cost and less resources. I'd shoot the DT a bunch to get your own skills with it dialed before opting for a custom barrel (in the interim put that barrel on order, and the barrel extension).

So I have a 338 LM 29" barrel shooting 300 gr Bergers OTM Hybrids clocking at 2950 fps. It will get to 2 miles but the wind will whip it around.

I like 375 CheyTac Improved versions...I have a 375 Allen Magnum on a TAC408 1.60 Repeater, and it shoots like a dream! 402 gr Cutting Edge Bullets at 3165 fps 32" barrel.

I favor Stiller with Cadex Defense Chassis, and would like to try the JJROCK action...

Either way, you will be satisfied with the cartridge!

Do you have the desert tech yet? I have a SRS A-1, I’m gonna get a barrel chambered in 37xc. The XC allows me to shoot a 375 caliber without jumping up to the HTI model. The 37xc is impressive, launching 350/360 ish projectiles around 3100-3200fps.

CheyTacs are just so damn expensive, I would do a 37XC if it were me. I think they will do the job at 2 miles no problem and save you a few dog bites out of the ass cheek in the process!

A few folks I know say the DTA’s show pressure early and can be challenging. See what JJRock or others have to offer that will build a better experience and ELR time. I would look at the 375 Cheytac before the 37XC to be honest. Here is a chart what folks shooting out to 2 miles under a time restraint and pressure used. Cheers

oneshot.onehit
Jeff Heeg
7EC46AA3-1F6A-4B13-AB2C-7212F65E0F95.jpeg

Reactions: odoylerules
A few folks I know say the DTA’s show pressure early and can be challenging. See what JJRock or others have to offer that will build a better experience and ELR time. I would look at the 375 Cheytac before the 37XC to be honest. Here is a chart what folks shooting out to 2 miles under a time restraint and pressure used. Cheers

oneshot.onehit
Jeff HeegView attachment 7029505
If I had the money to build a purpose built 2 mile cartridge it would be a 416. The 37xc desert tech allows me to not have a special gun, press, another optic etc etc.

Reactions: GIXXER2000
If I had the money to build a purpose built 2 mile cartridge it would be a 416. The 37xc desert tech allows me to not have a special gun, press, another optic etc etc.

I’ve kind of been looking at the 37XC for that reason alone and the overbore stuff associated with 375Cheytac isn’t desirable. I’m far from knowledgeable on the subject though.

I went round and round on what cartridge to go with,Then Eurooptics had a CADEX 375CT on sale for $5499. The only draw back was the 29 in 1-10 twist barrel. But i can live with that shooting 350 ish grain bullets until the barrel is dead the put a 34 in 1-7 twist on.

oneshot.onehit
Jeff HeegView attachment 7029505

I noticed that none of these shooters are using trasol as their firing solution. What's the scoop on this?
Xdeano

Good question, it seems as soon as folk look at 2000 + its either Field Firing Solutions, Cold Bore or Applied Balistics that surface. Trasol has had a rough road as far as support for a few years and that is changing some now, also Trasol has a maximum range of 3500 yards.

With the 375 Cheytac and shooting solids you may find that a 29.5” 8 or 7 twist will be your optimum barrel for speed and stability.

Oneshot.onehit
JH

I noticed that none of these shooters are using trasol as their firing solution. What's the scoop on this?
Xdeano
Trasol has had a rough road as far as support for a few years and that is changing some now,
Oneshot.onehit
JH

Hi,

↑↑↑
That right there, along with issues that even with the new coder and changes....it still doesn't function properly on Android systems. New coder advises they are focusing on Apple systems first and not sure when/if they will get to the Android system.

Sincerely,
Theis

I have TRASOL on my phone. I’ll be running it this year with my 375 Snipetac. Well see how it fares against other solvers

Just a FYI I was just informed that the new version on the ipad/iPhone systems allows the operator to run out to 5000 yards now versus the original TRASOL system that stops at 3500.

Just adding this to my statement above.

Oneshot.onehit
JH

Fuck TRASOL and the horse it rode in on, they haven't supported that in years and it was an expensive ass app to begin with. I'll stick with AB Kestrel for PRS/NRL and FFS for anything the Kestrel can't handle

Reactions: locotrician
I went round and round on what cartridge to go with,Then Eurooptics had a CADEX 375CT on sale for $5499. The only draw back was the 29 in 1-10 twist barrel. But i can live with that shooting 350 ish grain bullets until the barrel is dead the put a 34 in 1-7 twist on.

I was drooling over this myself