• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Advice on RRS tripod and leveling base

Icer.One

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2013
TEXAS The Lone Star State
I have a carbon fiber manfroto 055 and ball head with a hog. I shot Raton NM SRM a few times and the tripod stage always sux for me. This last time our squad ended on the tripod stage. I got to shoot off a rrs tripod with the leveling base and i could not believe the difference, it was 100% more stable. I goose egged the stage off my tripod but after, when i got to shoot 540 yds off the rrs tripod and first round impacted with 2 different rifles WOW. I asked the guy which one it was but he couldn't remember.

So if anyone could steer me in the right direction with part numbers or series it would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance
Bobby

Most common tripod you see out there is the TVC-33 which is full height and three leg sections. The leveling base is called the TA-3. They also make a complete setup with integral ballhead that is very good, it's called the Anvil and comes in 3 and 4 leg section versions (TFCT-33, 34 or 34L which is taller).

I run the TVC-33 with TA-3 leveling base, you see a ton of them at matches.

Most common tripod you see out there is the TVC-33 which is full height and three leg sections. The leveling base is called the TA-3. They also make a complete setup with integral ballhead that is very good, it's called the Anvil and comes in 3 and 4 leg section versions (TFCT-33, 34 or 34L which is taller).

I run the TVC-33 with TA-3 leveling base, you see a ton of them at matches.

Thanks man I appreciate your help and time

Why is the TFCT-33 more popular than the 34 looking to get one or the other. Will be used in matches and for hunting.

Why is the TFCT-33 more popular than the 34 looking to get one or the other. Will be used in matches and for hunting.
Slightly lighter
Slightly faster to deploy with 3 less twist locks.
In theory should be just a bit more stable/strong with the 1 less joint in each leg and the smallest leg section is equal to the 2nd smallest on the 34.

Slightly lighter
Slightly faster to deploy with 3 less twist locks.
In theory should be just a bit more stable/strong with the 1 less joint in each leg and the smallest leg section is equal to the 2nd smallest on the 34.
Thanks that’s makes sense.

Is it better? I've only shot on the leveling base and it was awesome.

My rrs experience is a whole 2 rounds so sorry of my ignorance on this topic

I have both the Anvil30 and the leveling base. I would say that the base is a little more stable but the ballhead is what I use most often due to the flexibility. I run the RRS rail on my AI AT and to say that it is stable is an understatement. You really can't go wrong with either the Anvil or the leveling head....that is why I have both.

I have both the Anvil30 and the leveling base. I would say that the base is a little more stable but the ballhead is what I use most often due to the flexibility. I run the RRS rail on my AI AT and to say that it is stable is an understatement. You really can't go wrong with either the Anvil or the leveling head....that is why I have both.

Got a pic of that set up?

I have to echo what people are saying about the Anvil 30. I was looking at a leveling base setup but Adam Rehor at MHSA convinced me to get the Anvil 30 based on its range of motion. I have no regrets. The Anvil 30 ballhead locks up tight and I haven't noticed any movement in it when you tight the locking lever so the rifle stays where you point it. We used it to shoot out to 1400 yards standing at Franks class this summer.

Food for thought, i went TFCT-24L after recommendation from RRS for a crossover match/hunting tripod, and am impressed with the stability along with the weight savings over a 33. I'm 6'4" and it's plenty tall for shooting and glassing while standing.

IMG-20190923-WA0043.jpeg

20190531_223006.jpg

20190615_105001.jpg

I run the TVC-33 with TA-3 leveling base, 15* is more than you think. Shooting and spotting for elk and coyotes in the Rockies seldom need to, but easy to adjust a leg to account for extreme angles. I picked that combo initially because more available units allowed me to find gently used at a small savings. I also think it a tiny fraction more stable. No regrets and no need to upgrade.

Reactions: Icer.One
Tell me exactly how the binos are mounted on your tripod. Is that an Outdoorsman bino attachment? Thanks

Not sure if i would go this route or not again, this mount isn't super quality but hasn't caused any problems in 2yrs. Time will tell..

3 sections has one less joint on each leg. The 4 section tripods pack smaller as they have an extra section to make up the height. Both are basically the same height extended within 1”. 3 section more popular just for range guys and comp guys who travel by vehicle. 4 section more popular with hunters and anyone who travels as they can be a carry on.

I prefer leveling base over anvil. I may be in the minority, but haven’t ever needed the additional articulation.

I used a RRS 34 with Anvil on a recent Dall sheep, moose hunt. Maybe a little heavier set up for sheep then preferred but even the guides who were rolling there eyes a bit when they first saw it really liked it by the end. Had them glassing off of it some also