• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes advice on scope for my new GAP gladius.

amauro1

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2011
NY, USA
hello, i need some advice and i know this is the place to come to, I recently just purchased a new GAP Gladius in .308, my intention for this rifle is pretty much medium/long range shooting at the range. not sure yet if i will be doing any hunting with it but i figured it was time i upgrade from a 700p LTR to a custom built GAP. Now the ultimate decision of which optic to choose for it has been boggling my mind. I was set on a Nigjtforce NXS 5-22x50 and then a friend of mine mentioned the new PST Gen II 5-25x50. should i save the $1000 and go with the Vortex? I’m coming out of my 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LRT which i think is pretty outdated now.

any help would be great

thank you.

Do you need the higher power for the range you’re shooting? I had an equivalent on my 308 and ended going back to a 3.5-15 nightforce F2. Can’t go wrong on either brand you mention though I am partial to Nightforce.

NF 4-14 SHV or if you want spend a bit more then a NF 4-16 ATARC. These aren't overly large scopes so it'll keep your total system a bit more compact; but certainly capable of engaging targets past 1000yds.

i was looking to stay with a 5-20x, i had the 4.5-14 lrt and feel like i want a bit more magnification. so the nightforce is that much better than the pst gen ii?

I’m in the exact same boat. I’ve got a gladius on order. Im looking at the various short/compact scopes.

The Gladius is not like the DTA SRS Covert so you're not going to have an issue with the scope objective being right next to the end of the barrel. Since you want medium to long range shooting with possible hunting at some point (why not, I'd take that rifle hunting any day!) then might I suggest the Vortex AMG 6-24x50, even though it's low end is 6x it actually has greater FOV than the NXS 5.5-22 you were looking at. The AMG is a solid scope that I think would work well for you. I admit the aesthetics of the Ultra Short scopes are appealing especially on short rifles, take a look at this thread for more information - https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/2018-year-of-the-ultra-shorts.6868822/

If your price range is around $2k then most of these are going to be outside your budget except for the EOTech Vudu 5-25x50 at only 11.2" or the Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 at 12", but both of these are unproven scopes as they have not gone into production yet, the only ones in production are the Sig Tango 6 3-18 and 4-24 which are a little hefty but nice and short. Also, keep your eye out on the classifieds as they have some great deals, I have seen Tangent Theta's TT315M for under $2500 which is an absolutely killer dealer, you will not find better optics than this. I've owned two Premier LT 3-15x50 (the TT's sister) and miss those scopes greatly. That being said, the PST II 5-25x50 is a solid scope (I own one) for the price, is it going to be NF quality, no, but you're not paying for that either. In comparison to my other alpha class scopes, the PST II is a great package for its price. If you want a little better glass but don't want to pay much more then look at the Bushnell ET LRTSi 4.5-18x44 scopes, they are pretty amazing as well, Bushnell's DMR II is another great scope but doesn't have as good of glass as the LRTS, but their recently announced DMR II Pro with upgraded ED Prime glass should resolve some of the issues of the DMR II.

A few years ago there might have only been a few scopes to recommend; however, there are so many options now it is both a blessing and a curse, a blessing because there are some amazing new optics to be had at great prices, but a curse because there are so many options how do you choose. I'd suggest finding a reticle you like and going from there, as long as you buy a "good" scope then I think you'll be pretty happy and you can always sell a good scope in the classifieds to upgrade down the road.

To answer your original question, no you should not save the $1000 and yes buy the NXS 5-22x50. The 5-22x50 is a fantastic high quality bullet proof F2 optic.

Another option for you is a Bushnell ERS that I have in the PX. It is $1150 shipped and in great shape and very clean. PM me for more info.

As stwcattle mentioned NXS is a rock solid pick. My GAP ROCK (just sold) was my intro into LR shooting and knocked down mega hogs and plenty of WT deer with it. You will fine the NXS line a great stepping off point. And they hold value$$
Enjoy the jurney

Are you MIL/LEO? Investigate the discounts available if you're not already familiar with them.