• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on semi-auto precision rifle

SmokeyElvis

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2020
North Carolina
I’m looking to get into longer range shooting. I have stuck with ‘normal’ AR and AK for about 10 years.

Below is a list of some I’m considering and my budget for the gun is max $2000. I know a few of these are bolt action not S/A and I am so far partial to the ones in bold:
  1. Remington 700 (6.5 Creedmoor) (bolt action)
  2. Ruger RPR (6.5 Creedmoor) (bolt action)
  3. Ruger Predator (6.5 Creedmoor) (bolt action)
  4. Savage MSR10 (6.5 Creedmoor)
  5. S&W M&P 10 Performance Center (6.5 Creedmoor)
  6. Armalite M15 competition 18” (.223 Wylde)
  7. Rock River AR competition 18” (.223 Wylde)
I have an AR pistol. Should I just go with the AR and leverage the ammo and mags I already have? I have a decent amount of 77 and 69 gr. Would it be better to get some more of that than scramble to get 6.5 mags and rounds?

I’m also trying to take into consideration the realities of ammo shortages and trying to order through the mail if slow joe and the ho impede that. I cannot set up to reload/hand load for the foreseeable future.

My goal is to get out to at least 600 yards which is the very far end of 5.56 performance. Obviously the 6.5s would be good past 1000 yards.

Thanks for any input.

If your goal is only 600, a good 18-20" AR will do that no problem, especially with the heavier bullet weight's.

That'll keep you from buying new calibers

If you are looking to push past that, a meatier cartridge like 6.5 or .308 would be a better choice.

Regarding rifles....they'll all get you there, especially with your budget.....just depends on what you prefer

If $2,000 is your budget then look into a PWS MK218 6.5 Creedmoor. I had their mk114 which functioned great and their customer service is excellent.

The only knock is that they have proprietary parts due to their unique piston system.

you can take that little 5.56 all the way out to 1000 with the right ammo. Triarc just did a video on "mini recce's" and at the end their shooters were taking a little 12.5 SBR all the way out to 940 LOL!
being able to spot your hits and misses will be more difficult however with a 5.56 than something larger.

personally i am sticking to 5.56 right now for all my shooting needs because having a good stockpile of what i need for defensive purposes outweighs fun and games and i cannot afford to branch out right now.
if you are in the same boat then i recommend sticking to 5.56 it will be plenty of fun at longer ranges.

Living in California, I built an Aero M5 in 6.5 Creedmoor because I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to buy & build semis here. Trying to get them while I still can. BUT if I was in a 2A friendly state, I'd likely have gone for a bolt action first. I think the Ruger Predator is a fantastic entry level option, as I've seen one shoot damn near as well as a Bergara HMR. If you decide to get a Remington 700, take a good look at the Bergara HMR.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTV
LaRue costs more but worth it Mine shoot 1/2 moa with factory ammo

What ranges and distances do you have access to in NC that will justify going with 6.5 Creedmoor?
It was difficult finding a place to shoot at distance other than Bragg when I was there.

For NC, 6.5 Grendel AR-15 would make a lot more sense, unless you had regular access to a long range.

600yds for 5.56 is difficult to hear impacts on the steel, unless there is no wind.

Honestly with some of the newer bullets, pushing a 556/.223 out past 600 is viable, it might not have a ton of energy left, and it may get pushed around by the wind a good bit, but putting rounds on target is not crazy talk. If you are going be shooting around 600 yards or so, I think that one of the AR's that you listed will serve you well.

Personally speaking, I like bolt guns as much as gas guns. They each have the place in the tool box. I would see if you could get behind any of the bolt guns you mentioned and see how it feels as i think that most bolt guns offer a greater level of consistency

Bump your budget up $100 and buy the Seekins SP10 for sale in the PX.

I think this is the truth. Obviously, you are below a JP rifle and most folks are. Next up, Seekins Precision. If you look at a lot of folks shoot LR with ARs, they are using Seekins Precision SP10s. The gun flat out shoots and has so many features that get you going in the correct direction.

In the end, you do you though.

Bump your budget up $100 and buy the Seekins SP10 for sale in the PX.

Yep

I have a SP10M in .308 w/ 18” barrel that is an absolute tack driver. It is far more accurate than me. Longest steel I can shoot right now is 550yrds and it’s a breeze at that distance. Confident it could go 1kwith out much issue.

Bergara HMR or HMR Pro is a great option. I have an HMR Pro in 6.5CM and hits at a mile are well within the rifle’s capability. Hits at 1k are almost boring.

I'd stick with the 6.5 and probably choose the Ruger. Otherwise I'd go with a 308.

I would just do an 18 or 20 inch Ar 5.56 . your gonna have to learn how to read the wind , mirage ,positional shooting and everything else associated with distance shooting so you might as well learn with a platform your already use to . I have been shooting some prs gas gun matches and there are a few different calibers used but it appears to me most are running 5.56 . the range I shoot at the furthest target is just a little over 700 yds . a 77 grain matchking will get you there , like somebody else said seeing you impact on heavy steel at 600-700 yards can be an issue at times .

Simplicity. Yes, it's o/o stock right now, Pretty much everything else is too. Patience.

I own two and have had them shot them in 600yd F T/R alongside my 24" Savage 11VT. Performance was essentially identical at that range. I have owned one of them for roughly a decade, shot it frequently in competition (mostly 300yd) and have found absolutely no reason for complaint. My second is built from the factory kit after I gifted the first one to my Granddaughter, and performance is indistinguishable between the two.

They really like the Hornady 75rgr HPBT Match bullet (I load 23.5gr of Varget with this bullet). The 24" barrel allows for some additional muzzle velocity which can come in handy out there at the extended distances.

The model that I own is the Model 6 Super Varminter, which has been superseded by the linked 15 Varminter upper, which I consider to be an improvement over the Model 6.

If your needs absolutely demand 1000yd, etc. performance, you're on your own; but it might suggest the 6.5 Creedmore.

Greg

If you have an AR that can accept it, upgrade to a nice barrel with matched bolt and shoot some good ammo. If not, my #1 from your list is the RPR in 6.5.