• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Advice on Spotting scope with mil reticle

jp67

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2006
Into the wild
Hi,
I am looking for a spotting scope with a mil reticle or any other ranging reticle.
I thought about the Carl Zeiss 65* spotter with Mil Dot.
If you know of any other model, please let me know.
Thanks

Re: Advice on Spotting scope with mil reticle

Bushnell has a new compact FFP 4-14 mil-dot spotter coming out real soon now. I've heard that it is on par if not better than the Leupy mk4 mil-dot. Scott at Liberty Optics has a special Hide price, ping him if you want to get on the list -- sounds like he can ship to Europe
smile.gif

Obviously, the Bushnell isn't going to be quite in the same league as a Zeiss -- but if it can get the job done for you, it could save a lot of cash.

Bushnell called today, they are shipping me one to try, and told me the kit with tripod and bag will retail for about $580.

For that, and based on the one I saw, you can't beat it for the money.

The Zeiss is mint, don't get me wrong but for $580, I can buy 3 Bushnells for the price of Zeiss.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell called today, they are shipping me one to try, and told me the kit with tripod and bag will retail for about $580.

For that, and based on the one I saw, you can't beat it for the money.

The Zeiss is mint, don't get me wrong but for $580, I can buy 3 Bushnells for the price of Zeiss. </div></div>

Are you going to write a review on the Bushnell?
I ll be glad to hear what you think of it.
Let us know.
Thanks
jp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..... I can buy 3 Bushnells for the price of Zeiss. </div></div>

Lowlight ,

yep , that's true , but you'll never get the same quality of view , paying less you'll get less , this is always true but above all in low light
smile.gif

PP out

Is is better to take the straight or angled body if take the Zeiss?

Actually I have The angled one but if I could go back I'd take the straight one .

PP out

PP, getting the Zeiss doesn't insure mil spec durability either unless you get the Spotter 60, I for one have broken my Zeiss 65 twice, it's not very good in terms of how much punishment it can take. 2X at 3 months at a clip is 6 months without it, lucky for me I have 2 65mm bodies to work with.

The Bushnell is at least, some what armored, and frankly, I will go head to head against my Zeiss when the Bushnell arrives, I'm willing to bet the differences, while big in some cases, are not as big as one would think.

You want to see in lower light, attach a UNS too it like they do with the Leupold.

Any thoughts on the US Optics Spotter?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mildot326</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any thoughts on the US Optics Spotter?</div></div>

it's not a spotter its a field scope and not designed the same as a spotting scope. People who thing they are going to use it as a true spotting scope are often disappointed, but it was designed for a military purpose as a field scope, not a range spotting scope.

Thanks for the "heads up"
I didn't know that?
What's the difference?

Frank,
Bushnell going to get that new spotter to you by the May PR1-2 class? If so, I look forward to checking it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skibum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank,
Bushnell going to get that new spotter to you by the May PR1-2 class? If so, I look forward to checking it out.

</div></div>

Yes, the new spotter is supposed to be in the Mail to RO this week. I should have it there by the class as well my Zeiss 65 with Mil Dot is always there. And we should still have the Zeiss Spotter 60 on site as well...

I have a USO spotter, I bought it for ranging UKD targets, because it's MOA reticle matches the ones in my USO scopes.

It is very good for that- but as Our Fearless Leader said, it's not really a true spotter for use on the range. The field of view is smaller than my Leupold spotter. The focus is way up front on the objective bell, and it's stiff.

Great for ranging targets in the field, tough to use on the range.

What reticule is available with the Excursion Tactical? I am very interested in actual reviews before I decide. I want a decent spotter with mil ret but not sure how much coin I want to drop on a spotter at this time and the Excursion looks promising, until a few give honest opinions, I am waiting.

Gear needs to be "good enough" to get the job done. It doesn't need to be "the best", which is almost completely subjective anyway.

Guys/gals, buy "good enough" gear. Don't let anybody else spend your money. Gear queers have their place, but it's not in YOUR wallet.

If LowLight says something is good enough, then you can take that to the bank. Hopefully this will be his opinion of the Bushnell after putting it through the wringer.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skibum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank,

</div></div>

Yes, the new spotter is supposed to be in the Mail to RO this week. I should have it there by the class as well my Zeiss 65 with Mil Dot is always there. And we should still have the Zeiss Spotter 60 on site as well... </div></div>

Hello Lowlight,
Have you tried the spotter yet?
Is it worth the wait?
Thanks for your feed back.
jp