• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on Stock/Chassis upgrade

Stpilot12

Killed a guy with a Trident...
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2012
Northern Crappyfornia
Hello Gang..

Kinda starting to pull my hair out over this… I decided to put a new barrel on my R700/ 300wm. So next I’m thinking… might as well go all the way and get a sweet stock. I can’t decide between the McMillan A5 style or an AI chassis, like the AT
I lean toward the A5, probably just because it’s more traditional, but I have never even “touched” one of the AI’s. I plan on shooting long range, I’m loading Bergers longer than standard COAL (or at least I was, see what the new barrel likes) Not sure if having a DBM will be a usable accessory or not. I have no real need for a folding model, so that’s not a consideration. I don’t really care about the weight.

I guess mainly I’m looking for Pros and Cons from some of you that have one or the other or maybe have had both.

Also, I’ve seen a few of the older AICS 1.5’s and 2.0’s still available for $200+ cheaper than the AT series. Other than the obvious grip difference, is there any other difference between the two models?

Always look forward to the answers here, ya’ll are great at throwing out the “No BS” info.

Thank you
Tim

Last edited:
A chassis has its benefits. One thing to consider about a chassis is most actions will drop in without requiring bedding the action to shoot well, this is more dependent on the action than the chassis and how true the action is. A fiberglass stock will require bottom metal and bedding to perform its best, which has its costs. There are alternatives, such as the Manners mini chassis, which is basically a traditional stock with a "chassis" installed in the inletting area. The Manners mini chassis has its own bottom metal, so your action will drop in and will not require any bedding.

There are a lot of quality chassis available, but if you gravitate towards a more traditional stock (I do as well) than a chassis my not be for you. Most chassis are heacier than compsite stocks, and they tend to have more areas that can snag on gear, a stock has a much smoother design with no recesses or machined areas that can snag. The best thing to do is to try to get your hands on one, better to get behind one or shoot it to see how it feels.

My top pick for a chassis is the KRG Whiskey 3. As far as stocks go, its a tie between the McMillan A5 and Manners T4.

If you were to ask this question in February I would have an answer. I have the AI AX chassis and really like it. I have a mcmillan a5 on order. I think one of the deciding factors would be do you like the pistol grip or not? A lot of chassis systems will have the more vertical grip which takes a little getting used to. Like stated above chassis are just drop in systems, which makes them a little easier for someone without gunsmithing skills.

Thanks guys… Looking at the Manners T4A also. Another question about the DBM's. Are these 3 companies Mag's about the same? (for COAL) I thought I heard somewhere that (I think AI) has a longer than standard dimension to accommodate longer loads? I can't seem to locate any specifics on that subject.

Thanks
Tim

I started with a Mcrees which is a great chassis and recenty switched over to an XLR element and love it. WAY lower cost compared to an AI or manners, does not need bedding and you can get a folder if needed. just my 1.5 cents but I will easily be buying another for my next build.

2nd For XLR Element. Love mine. But a manners mini chassis would be a nice choice as well.