• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Advice on Training Class "Essentials"

GR460

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2010
South Central Louisiana
I am taking my first rifle training class, and was wondering if anyone could offer advice on some "must have" or "wish I would have had" items. I don't want to show-up missing something essential. I have the rifle and ammunition parts covered. Thanks for your help.

Re: Advice on Training Class "Essentials"

Rifle with a DBM is a plus, Pack big enough to carry ammo, light tool kit, rear bags, mat/poncho, both 5 and 10 rnd mags if using DBM, back up optics, boresnake, Rem-oil, Tab sling, these are a few things that come to mind.

A Kestrel would have been nice to have to get wind, temperature, Barometric Pressure, Density altitude, and even humidity.

Where are you taking the course. Been to Rifles Only for 3 different courses, and it was definitely money well spent. Enjoy and good luck.

Contact the people teaching the class and ask them.

After saying that:

Regardless of who's teaching the class, or type of class, if noting else, take a Score/Data book.

Write down EVERYTHING..........I mean Everything Rifle Dope Weather conditions, ammo, calls, what you did right what you did wrong, what works, what dosn't work........... EVERYTHING.

If a bug flys by and farts, write it down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GR460</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am taking my first rifle training class, and was wondering if anyone could offer advice on some "must have" or "wish I would have had" items. I don't want to show-up missing something essential. I have the rifle and ammunition parts covered. Thanks for your help. </div></div>

What type of class?

Urban Rifle is very different from Precision Rifle.

If warm, bring WATER and SUNSCREEN.

if Cold, bring WATER and warm clothing.

But Bring water!

BMT

It will be a precision rifle class. I already have a list of what they recommend, but figured the list could probably be expanded based off of the practical experience of members here. Thanks for the input so far!!

Is the ground covered with cactus? If so you will want boots. Do they want you to have a mat? If so, will it fit in your pack? Is the mat cactus proof?

More info from you will result in better replies.

That said my always have items. Two pairs of quality glasses. I always have two pairs of Oakley's and usually a pair of Wiley X. I keep clear lenses in one set and tinted in the other. Easier to change glasses fast.

Electronic ear pro. I prefer Sordins but ymmv. Spare batteries for anything electronic.

Have all your stuff organized before class. Take good notes if you like but most importantly have an open mind.

All the gun and shooting stuff is mandatory for any of those classes, but just remember there is no price on comfort. Even a good class will suck if your ill prepared for the weather.

The main key to equipment in a class is a backpack.

The key to the backpack is knowing the location of everything.

It makes your life simple.

Go get your Mil-Dot master, how long will it take you to find it?

John

Optic Cleaner Spray and those large microfiber glass cleaning cloths they sell at Walmart. Your glasses and scope lenses are likely to need a little love after a couple days training.

Good clothes,any meds you regularly need, folding chair (depending on circumstances), binos & spotting scope if you have them, wrenches specific to your scope turrets and scope mount system. DEET spray if class is anytime but winter. Sunscreen. Tweezers if in cactus country.