• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Advice on TRL-1

Curnow26

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi I am currently looking in to getting a TRL-1 to mount on my sig 226 black water, If purchased this light will remain on the 226 for most of it opperation. Should i remove this when i go to the range, I imagine that I should keep this on durring practice so i am use to the way it feels with the light mounted on it, Is this correct. Also my only worry is that it might chew up the frame, has any one had that happen? I have never used a rail mounted light before so I need some advice.
Thank you

Re: Advice on TRL-1

#1 - It won't chew up the frame, maybe a minor mark, but it's a tool so use it.

#2 - Practice with it, lights can change recoil impulses, etc. You need to get used to it and more importantly you need to make sure your weapon functions 100% with the light on it.

#3 - Train like you may have to use it someday, that means with the light, letting mags fall to the floor, etc. Don't baby it, don't gently take the mags out and set them on a bench, etc. Run it hard.

Mine did not do chew up the frame AT ALL

it was on a P226 blackwater (TRL-1) just like yours.

as a matter of fact, it hasn't chewed up my duty pistol which is a SW MP9 (plastic frame) so...

you're in good hands.

I did shoot low with it on though, so it took some getting used to.

put a thin layer or vaseline or clear grease over the lens if you are going out to shoot a bunch, that way you can wipe off the carbon fouling so the light can be used.

I have never heard of the TLR-1 chewing up a frame. The advice you have been given about training and shooting with the light in place is correct. The "feel" will be likely be a bit different and may take a some getting used to. If you are new with lights, the battery door confuses some people, but it's really quite simple if you read the instructions.

George P.

got one on my kimber tle/rl and no issues. sucks trying to find a decent holster for the combo though

I have one on my duty Glock 22 with no issues, and have had a weapon mounted light for about 3 years now. With the light mounted, kind of eases the recoil of the .40 caliber. I have mounted and removed the light many, many times, and haven't hurt the frame of the gun what-so-ever. I also have a TLR-1 on my patrol M-4.