• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice please: Cataract surgery vs iron sights

unrepentant

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2008
ms
Hey Guys,

In a couple weeks I'm gonna have surgery on both eyes (two weeks apart one eye each visit). I've been told that they're gonna insert a lens in each eye, and that I have a choice of whether I want near-sighted or far-sighted lenses installed. My eyes are bad enough now that I can't read the large freeway signs (that hang across all lanes announcing major route options), so the surgery is necessary. I can choose to have one near-sighted and one far-sighted lens as a combination for both eyes--I've been told by two people who don't shoot that they've done that, and the brain takes over and interprets without the viewer's conscious effort to make an adjustment on their focus.

I've worn glasses ever since I was 4 or 5 years old. I've never been able to shoot with a rifle's iron sights. Even with glasses, I couldn't see a 100-yard bullseye well enough to distinguish a center or a distinct perimeter. It seems that I have that opportunity now with a corrective lens installed.

However, more importantly, I'd very much prefer to see the front sight on my CCW weapon, a 1911, if I ever need. Which lens would you have installed in your dominant (right) eye for rifle iron sight target shooting if you were considering a 1911 as the main priority? I always shoot with both eyes open for all shooting platforms, if that makes any difference (shotgun, [scoped]rifle, pistol).

Thank you!

I have natural goofy eyes. Far sighted in my right eye which is also my dominate eye, and near sighted in my left eye. It's true that your brain will take over and you won't notice it happening. There is a down side to it though, your brain "gets tired". I didn't know I was "cockeyed" until I went in to see the eye doc, she told me...I just wanted to see if I could get some glasses so I could keep using iron sights. Well, she got me set up with progressive lenses to correct both eyes, oppositely, so now my brain doesn't get tired anymore, and I don't have a head ache at the end of the day anymore...but I still can't effectively use iron sights either, because if I look though the bottom of my lens with my right eye to see the sights clear, my off eye is blurry because there's no correction in the bottom of that lens...so I'm near sighted with both at the bottom of the lenses, and far sighted with both eyes through the top of the lenses...since they're progressive lenses, my eyes/brain have been trained what part of the lenses to look though for different distances. Kind of like adjusting parallax on a scope, lots of adjustment at the low end, get less adjustment as the distance gets farther, then out to infinity. Of course that happens at a much smaller scale with corrective lenses, at least for me, mine is 1 foot at the bottom, transitions to about 8-10 feet, then "infinity".

Not sure if that helps your situation, but I hope it sheds some insight.

Last edited:
I have natural goofy eyes. Far sighted in my right eye which is also my dominate eye, and near sighted in my left eye. It's true that your brain will take over and you won't notice it happening. There is a down side to it though, your brain "gets tired". I didn't know I was "cockeyed" until I went in to see the eye doc, she told me...I just wanted to see if I could get some glasses so I could keep using iron sights. Well, she got me set up with progressive lenses to correct both eyes, oppositely, so now my brain doesn't get tired anymore, and I don't have a head ache at the end of the day anymore...but I still can't effectively use iron sights either, because if I look though the bottom of my lens with my right eye to see the sights clear, my off eye is blurry because there's no correction in the bottom of that lens...so I'm near sighted with both at the bottom of the lenses, and far sighted with both eyes through the top of the lenses...since they're progressive lenses, my eyes/brain have been trained what part of the lenses to look though for different distances. Kind of like adjusting parallax on a scope, lots of adjustment at the low end, get less adjustment as the distance gets farther, than out to infinity. Of course that happens at a much smaller scale with corrective lenses, at least for me, mine is 1 foot at the bottom, transitions to about 8-10 feet, then "infinity".

Not sure if that helps your situation, but I hope it sheds some insight.
My right eye is near-sighted and my left is far-sighted. Dominant is right. I cannot see my front sight WITH glasses. I've tried freaking progressives and could not deal with the distortion on the edges when driving. I've toyed with buying a cheap pair of glasses with no coatings, etc just to see if I could ever deal with them. How long did it take you to get used to the progressives. I tried for a week, and was like F this.

I've got cataracts too, very slight; but there. I notice it at night now. I'm hoping in the next 7 years they'll come with technology that will not force into the far/near decision. I'd be tempted to split like I am now. I do get headaches by the end of the day; but I actually get worse headaches with glasses on. Very interested in this discussion.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Just had that done. Get the farsighted option. You'll be able to use iron sights again. You'll only need some Walmart readers for up close. I get the bifocal safety glasses and wear them when I'm working. They have normal clear lenses up top and your choice of power reader lenses below. Mine are 1.5x.
I can't imagine having the up close vision and not being able to see the target without corrective lenses

Doesn't matter how bad your eyes are now. When they replace the lenses it'll totally different.
With the farsighted lenses you WILL be able to see your handgun front sight and using peep sights will be like you were a teenager again. You'll be able to read normal size print at arms length and on out.

Last edited:
It took a couple weeks for me to get used to them. When I picked the glasses up at the eye doc, I couldn't wear them to drive home, there was no way, my eyes and brain rejected them. I never wore glasses until almost three years ago, I'm 49 now. I can go without glasses still, but it' s easier to wear them so everything is in focus. The "progressive" lenses I got have a wider area at the bottom of the lens, so I don't have to turn my head as much when reading...not the widest version available, but much wider than the "standard" lenses my vision insurance covers, so I had to pay the difference. I think it's a scam, without insurance would probably cost the same out of pocket as with insurance, but since there are three of us in the family that wear glasses I hope it's less expensive in the long run.

Just had that done. Get the farsighted option. You'll be able to use iron sights again. You'll only need some Walmart readers for up close. I get the bifocal safety glasses and wear them when I'm working. They have normal clear lenses up top and your choice of power reader lenses below. Mine are 1.5x.
I can't imagine having the up close vision and not being able to see the target without corrective lenses
This explicitly. I had both eyes done with the LR lens and went from (like above) unable to read the big green signs to 20-15 and 20-18. In good light I can read the paper with out glasses but use them in dimmer places.

I read of an old guy (like me) who had it done and said "Give me my old ones back, now I can see all the dirt in the corners." Youre going to be amazed, the first morning they take the bandage of is a mind blower.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Reactions: SWgeezer
Doesn't matter how bad your eyes are now. When they replace the lenses it'll totally different.
With the farsighted lenses you WILL be able to see your handgun front sight and using peep sights will be like you were a teenager again. You'll be able to read normal size print at arms length and on out.
^^^ This!

Get it done!

Sirhr

@unrepentant, I will keep this short & sweet. I too have had glasses since I was 5 years old. Never saw the stars until I had my eyes fixed. After 35 years as a programmer my eyes were shot. Towards the end of my programming career I had to just about sit on top of the screen.

At 70 years of age I had the cataracts removed from both eyes and the lenses replaced. In my mind it was the equivalent of oil, filter, lube, front end rebuilt & alignment. I can for the first time see all the stars.

I have the lenses that allow me to see distance. Readers are over the counter. I can see the front site on every member of the law firm of Baer, Brown, Wilson, & Springfield with out any aid.

Hope this helps.

One last item, since I do better house cleaning than the Mrs. ever will, you will be surprised how dirty the house is & how bright the light is.

Wish you the best.

Maxwell

Reactions: mtrmn
^^^ This!

Get it done!

Sirhr
Good to know. Right now I use Walmart readers even around the house and when sighting in with irons.

It was Walmart readers that allowed me to realize there was a hairy mole on an ex g/f's cheek. That was bad and could have caused a wreck.

Last edited:
I had to have cataract surgery due to being on very high dose prednisone for two years for an autoimmune condition ...the surgery is absolutely a breeze - just make sure they get the numbing drops in correctly and speak up if they don't (my mistake with my PRK).
The hardest thing for me, is after getting the lens implants (not covered by my insurance) with the surgery, I was instructed absolutely NO reading for 10 days. I screwed up, now I have to use cheaters for life.
On your issue : if you consider the one and one option; use your dominant eye for near-sighted, the other for far. IMHO. I agree with the other comments too: readers are cheap, prescription glasses are not.

I wasn't offered any option to get one eye far sighted and one eye near sighted. I got both far sighted and glad I did. Seems to me that the combination option would put too much of a strain my eyes constantly trying to focus and would lead to more headaches than I normally have. Unless I wore corrective glasses all the time. And not having to wear glasses if I choose not to is one of the most important benefits to me.

Reactions: Maxwell
@unrepentant, I will keep this short & sweet. I too have had glasses since I was 5 years old. Never saw the stars until I had my eyes fixed. After 35 years as a programmer my eyes were shot. Towards the end of my programming career I had to just about sit on top of the screen.

At 70 years of age I had the cataracts removed from both eyes and the lenses replaced. In my mind it was the equivalent of oil, filter, lube, front end rebuilt & alignment. I can for the first time see all the stars.

Maxwell
What an amazing blessing.

I think back to growing up in rural Virginia in the 50's when at night the sky was just alive with stars, not to mention the fireflies covering the pastures.

Now there is very little dark sky and pollution has killed off most of the fireflies. I sure miss that...and the quiet.

Reactions: mtrmn and Maxwell
Thanks very much for all your responses, Gents! I'll report when the second patch is removed (sometime after Xmas). Two LR lenses it is!

Reactions: mtrmn and Maggot
I to have cataracts very bad and have wore glasses for a lot of years the options I was given was the near or far sighted lenses but I opted for a lens that is multifocal so I can see near and far
We’ll see how it goes surgery scheduled two weeks apart starting in the middle of January

If you drive, or shoot irons at distances, you want the farsighted ones.

Then, when they don't work for up close, you can walk into the drugstore and buy a pair of readers. I've been shooting with my new cataract replacement lenses for a couple of years now, and that's what works fine for me.

I read with +2.50's and sometimes I use +2.00's for computer screens. You can get +1.25, and +1.50 at Target for issues with front sights, but understand, the stuff way out there will not be optimal when you're using them.

I tried the bifocal readers, and damned near broke my neck on a set of stairs. My home is not the same home now and I no longer have stairs. I still don't use the bifocals. They make them in sunglasses format, and that can work for me when I'm sitting and reading out on the patio.

Before my operations, I would bring my Grandson along to read the speed limit/street name signs for me...

I keep other, much stronger, ones for close detail work like replacing watchbands, etc., including +3.00 and +5.00 readers.

...And not just the stars, as above, but colors, too; suddenly everything was in technicolor

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: Maggot
HI guys - had cataract surgery on my right (dominant) eye just 10 days ago. A few observations:

1. As said, the surgery is pretty much a nothing burger....and I'm a wimp wrt to pain so...haha

2. Toric (both far and reading distance correction) as well as doing one eye for distance and one for reading and opted for just distance. The Toric lenses are much more subject to effects like star bursts from oncoming headlights and indeed a friend of mine opted for them and had a very difficult time driving at night afterwards. And, the one for distance/one for reading (and yes, only had the one done, but this was considered against the future need to have the left one done in the next year or so) just didn't make a lot of sense to me and would, I believe, add to eye strain. I want distance vision clear and have no problems with readers or stick on magnifiers on my shooting glasses lenses so I can see turrets. YMMV, but my view was to go for the least risky option and be very glad to have clear distance vision.

3. They need to cut your old lens up into pieces so that it can be removed thru the small slit they make. Insurance (and I have medicare and Plan F part B supplemental) would pay for this to be done traditionally with some sort of cutting instrument. However, they now have a laser powered machine that cuts them up into very nice neat pieces for removal...insurance will not pay for this and its $1,500. I asked the doc which makes his job easier and is reduces risk and he said laser. I went for it and I'm glad I did. It dramatically reduced the time spent with my eye open and surgical instruments in there. Worth it to me as this eye will have to last me the rest of my life.

4. I was NOT told not to read after surgery for any period. Only restrictions were for one week post-srugery; 1) shower my body but not my head...use wash cloth to gently clean my face over the sink. They don't want water to get in there for a week; 2) wear an eye cup patch when sleeping so as to not accidentally rub my eye or impact it with a pillow. Only other thing is the steroid eye drops which need to be taken for a month on a declining schedule.

5. Only post-op discomfort was really for the first 24 hours where my eye felt gritty. Couple of Tylenlol (NOT Advil as its a blood thinner) took care of it. That and my eye was tender for about a week.

6. The post-op brightness in my corrected eye was a bit startling at first but even more noticeable was the diff in light color temp. Cataracts are yellow tinted and grow slowly so you don't notice everything getting more "warm" (more toward yellow/orange...warmer light). After surgery, everything looked pretty blue (colder light) because my brain had gotten used to "warm" and it looked a bit weird. After a week, my brain got used to it and I LOVE how I see now.

7. Doc told me that they could get me to 20/25 but they hesitated to be aggressive going after anything better lest they overshoot 20/20 (which causes some sort of problems but can't remember the details). Well, after one week I'm now at 20/20 and no longer wear glasses to drive, watch TV, etc. I'm thrilled and now need to adjust the ocular on my scopes as they were adjusted to compensate with plano shooting glass lenses. Def a first world problem.

8. I asked when I can start shooting again and my doc hesitated then said "a week". I said "shotguns and high power rifles?" and he again hesitated and said "two weeks"...but he doesn't know a thing about guns and recoil. My last follow up appt is one month post-surgery and my plan is to not shoot until that time. Hey, I hopefully have years to shoot but only one right eye so why not be conservative. I'll live with not shooting for a couple more weeks.

My only problem is that my left eye is 20/30 but also has a cataract...not as developed as in the right eye but growing....and I love my right eye vision so much I now want the left one done! Maybe next year...need to talk to doc about that.

Best of luck, all.

Reactions: rdog52
HI guys - had cataract surgery on my right (dominant) eye just 10 days ago. A few observations:

1. As said, the surgery is pretty much a nothing burger....and I'm a wimp wrt to pain so...haha

2. Toric (both far and reading distance correction) as well as doing one eye for distance and one for reading and opted for just distance. The Toric lenses are much more subject to effects like star bursts from oncoming headlights and indeed a friend of mine opted for them and had a very difficult time driving at night afterwards. And, the one for distance/one for reading (and yes, only had the one done, but this was considered against the future need to have the left one done in the next year or so) just didn't make a lot of sense to me and would, I believe, add to eye strain. I want distance vision clear and have no problems with readers or stick on magnifiers on my shooting glasses lenses so I can see turrets. YMMV, but my view was to go for the least risky option and be very glad to have clear distance vision.

3. They need to cut your old lens up into pieces so that it can be removed thru the small slit they make. Insurance (and I have medicare and Plan F part B supplemental) would pay for this to be done traditionally with some sort of cutting instrument. However, they now have a laser powered machine that cuts them up into very nice neat pieces for removal...insurance will not pay for this and its $1,500. I asked the doc which makes his job easier and is reduces risk and he said laser. I went for it and I'm glad I did. It dramatically reduced the time spent with my eye open and surgical instruments in there. Worth it to me as this eye will have to last me the rest of my life.

4. I was NOT told not to read after surgery for any period. Only restrictions were for one week post-srugery; 1) shower my body but not my head...use wash cloth to gently clean my face over the sink. They don't want water to get in there for a week; 2) wear an eye cup patch when sleeping so as to not accidentally rub my eye or impact it with a pillow. Only other thing is the steroid eye drops which need to be taken for a month on a declining schedule.

5. Only post-op discomfort was really for the first 24 hours where my eye felt gritty. Couple of Tylenlol (NOT Advil as its a blood thinner) took care of it. That and my eye was tender for about a week.

6. The post-op brightness in my corrected eye was a bit startling at first but even more noticeable was the diff in light color temp. Cataracts are yellow tinted and grow slowly so you don't notice everything getting more "warm" (more toward yellow/orange...warmer light). After surgery, everything looked pretty blue (colder light) because my brain had gotten used to "warm" and it looked a bit weird. After a week, my brain got used to it and I LOVE how I see now.

7. Doc told me that they could get me to 20/25 but they hesitated to be aggressive going after anything better lest they overshoot 20/20 (which causes some sort of problems but can't remember the details). Well, after one week I'm now at 20/20 and no longer wear glasses to drive, watch TV, etc. I'm thrilled and now need to adjust the ocular on my scopes as they were adjusted to compensate with plano shooting glass lenses. Def a first world problem.

8. I asked when I can start shooting again and my doc hesitated then said "a week". I said "shotguns and high power rifles?" and he again hesitated and said "two weeks"...but he doesn't know a thing about guns and recoil. My last follow up appt is one month post-surgery and my plan is to not shoot until that time. Hey, I hopefully have years to shoot but only one right eye so why not be conservative. I'll live with not shooting for a couple more weeks.

My only problem is that my left eye is 20/30 but also has a cataract...not as developed as in the right eye but growing....and I love my right eye vision so much I now want the left one done! Maybe next year...need to talk to doc about that.

Best of luck, all.
I had the same experience as your #6, really amazing, like looking through a microscope for a week or so.

Something to watch for hen driving: I find that my distance/speed correlation is not nearly as precise as normal (pre cataract) vision. Ive learned to be really carful about pulling into traffic, especially at night.

Reactions: Baron23
I would recommend getting the lenses that allow you to see far away and then use reading glasses to see things up close.

I had both eyes done. Mine were pretty bad. After the first eye, the clarity in that eye was amazing. The other eye looked like one of those antique pictures you see but much darker. Now I can see well up to about 18 inches, but any closer I have to wear my reading glasses. I use the drug store glasses and I use a power 2 lens.

I do have to wear glasses when I shoot open sights, however I found a pair of glasses that have the correction at the top instead of at the bottom like regular reading glasses. A much better sight picture.

Your eye doctor should be able to recommend a shop to hook you up with that kind of shooting glasses.

Hey Guys,

In a couple weeks I'm gonna have surgery on both eyes (two weeks apart one eye each visit). I've been told that they're gonna insert a lens in each eye, and that I have a choice of whether I want near-sighted or far-sighted lenses installed. My eyes are bad enough now that I can't read the large freeway signs (that hang across all lanes announcing major route options), so the surgery is necessary. I can choose to have one near-sighted and one far-sighted lens as a combination for both eyes--I've been told by two people who don't shoot that they've done that, and the brain takes over and interprets without the viewer's conscious effort to make an adjustment on their focus.

I've worn glasses ever since I was 4 or 5 years old. I've never been able to shoot with a rifle's iron sights. Even with glasses, I couldn't see a 100-yard bullseye well enough to distinguish a center or a distinct perimeter. It seems that I have that opportunity now with a corrective lens installed.

However, more importantly, I'd very much prefer to see the front sight on my CCW weapon, a 1911, if I ever need. Which lens would you have installed in your dominant (right) eye for rifle iron sight target shooting if you were considering a 1911 as the main priority? I always shoot with both eyes open for all shooting platforms, if that makes any difference (shotgun, [scoped]rifle, pistol).

Thank you!
I would think you want far-sighted lenses installed for shooting over irons. If you do, here's a trick to try. I was into heavy irons 3-gun which required iron sights. Although my distance vision was really excellent, I started using a .5 diopter lense for my dominant eye. That made a noticeable improvement while using iron peep sights.

I paid an extra $400 for my ole lady to get high definition lenses. They didn't give her a choice on near/far. After wearing glasses most of her life, she only needed readers after. She spotted a rattle snake 20 yards away in thick brush I couldn't even see til I got right up on it. Huge for a timber rattlesnake, 5' 13 rattles + button! I'd ask for the hi-def

Ditch the iron sights and get into the 21st century

IMG_20210820_165102.jpg

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
Sorry to revive a zombie thread but I really would like to comment on the collective wisdom of the hide.

This thread came out about the time that I realized that cataract surgery was probably inevitable for me. I was definitely not looking forward to it but this thread certainly gave me some enlightenment. So far, I've had one eye done and the difference is absolutely amazing. I've opted for the far/far version but between surgeries I'm getting to experience the near/far version. I'll definitely stick with my decision.

The surgery is an absolute breeze! I was NOT awake for it, thank God! But arrive at 7:30, home about 10;30. Had a lot of gel etc in my eye that day but woke the next morning with 20/20! No eye patches. No pain. Just super bright, technicolor vision. The other eye is scheduled for next week and I'm really looking forward to the vision I'm going to have.

So thank you to everyone who shared their experiences here as it really did help.

Cataract surgery won’t change your relationship with irons.

Cataract surgery that corrects vision and fixes
Cataracts Will. If they are taking you back to 20/20 then your relationship with irons will probably change.

That said… Do it.

Wait until you open your eyes and realize once again what “white” is. Or colors. Or no mud in your vision.

Iron sights Will take care of themselves.

Sirhr

I'm having NO trouble with my replacement, and can use either pistol, rifle or even scope, no problem. as others have siad, I use a set of cheap-ass cheaters for reading and close work. I'm happy.
The COLORS!!
Do NOT shoot for a month or so. That all needs to settle in and heal.
One thing that did happen to me, was after about a year or two, I noticed that I was having trouble seeing highway signs again. Turned out that the lens' had a cell overgrowth (foreign object) on the surface, so I went to a Doc who had a laser system that scrubbed them clean. Perfect.
VA paid for everything.

Ok I’m a little slow but I ask you folks (since I need to have my dominant eye right side done and looking at toric implant for far distance atm next month).

You guys can see your scope reticle shooting say a 5-25x56 S&B? Are you having to wear readers to see the scope and dials that is like 18“ in front of you when proned out? Bc right now I can’t see shit, even w my glasses.🤬

I’m assuming shooting a carbine will not be affected, same w shooting a pistol red dot. You guys have talked about using irons in this thread and thats very helpful and encouraging to me. But no one I have spoken to seems to know if far sighted lens implant will let me shoot through a scope.

Thanks for your insight!

I did the same thing with my eye surgery and am quite happy with the results. I can read most things without glasses and see through my scopes well enough however i use reading glasses for clarity with the scope at times. Seems like closer distances are the most problem. Even then the quality of the scope comes into play. I dont think you will be disappointed.

Ok I’m a little slow but I ask you folks (since I need to have my dominant eye right side done and looking at toric implant for far distance atm next month).

You guys can see your scope reticle shooting say a 5-25x56 S&B? Are you having to wear readers to see the scope and dials that is like 18“ in front of you when proned out? Bc right now I can’t see shit, even w my glasses.🤬

I’m assuming shooting a carbine will not be affected, same w shooting a pistol red dot. You guys have talked about using irons in this thread and thats very helpful and encouraging to me. But no one I have spoken to seems to know if far sighted lens implant will let me shoot through a scope.

Thanks for your insight!
yes scope use will improve drastically along with irons. The only time I need glasses is reading up close. Since both eyes were done I can use readers @ 1.5. I also order safety glasses with reader lenses for working.

You will be able to train yourself pretty quickly to adapt no matter what you choose. An hour a day for a month and you will be fine.

Consider it part of the post-op physical therapy.

As for far sight vs near, the key is to be able to see the reticle. That is what the diopter is for. Have you thought of contacting Leupold or ZCO folks to ask their thoughts?

See what started happening to me is about a year ago no matter what I set my diopter setting at I could not get a crisp reticle. W Red dots bc of my astigmatism they have always been a blob instead of a dot.

About 3 months ago I started thinking my glasses had a smudge on the right lens. I scheduled an appointment w my optometrist figuring I’d need new prescription is all. My right eye had a drastic change so my optometrist sent me to get my retina checked, then glaucoma, then a cornea specialist to figure out wtf. Right now its cataract in my right eye so we are doing the toric implant after Thanksgiving.

Thanks guys, I’d been doing a lot of reading on this stuff most info is very general and not applicable to optics shooting. I feel a lot better about it now. 🤞

Just had my left eye done…one year after my right eye which o reported on in a previous post.

Again, came out perfect and I’m now 20/20 in both eyes.

Also again, I chose a single focal lens for distance because of reasonably common issues w multi focal lenses and starbursts/flares of headlights when night driving.

Result is outstanding vision and I’m very happy.

Best of luck w your surgery.

I've tried adapting to the near/far option with contacts several times...just doesn't work for me. Doc says I'm 18-24 months away from needing the surgery.