• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ADVICE PLEASE: Christensen Modern Precision Rifle (MPR)

Ronin4870

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2020
Evening Gentlemen,

I’m not much more than a few keystrokes away from ordering a Christensen MPR in 6.5 Creedmore, & I’d REALLY appreciate some input from the forum, particularly from those with practical knowledge / experience, before I commit to the details of the build.

The tentative details of what I’ve planned to order are as follows:

Christensen Arms Modern Precision Rifle (MPR)

6.5 Creedmore
24” Carbon barrel
Carbon fore-end
Titanium muzzle break (I think?)
Likely the bronze finish, though I’m a big fan of black.

*-I’m not a hunter, but it is on the radar; primary use will be LRPS
*-I live in Virginia, & places to shoot 1,500-yds (hopefully plus) are few & far between, but... I’m hooligan, I want an effective LRP rifle, & the heart wants what it wants.
*-I’d like to think that - with high quality parts (IE - rings, glass, ammo, et al) - the MPR build that I’ve outlined above would be capable of delivering the best precision & CONSISTENCY that one could hope for from a well-built LRP “off the shelf” bolt rife chambered in 6.5 Creedmore!?
*-The chances that I would ever engage in competitive shooting are slim, but given that this build will likely stay in “stock” form, at least for a while, my expectations are relative to what should be a well-built LRP rifle with a price tag of around $2,400 (not including scope & rings). Still, I’d like to think that given the opportunity (IE - long distance range) & proper gear, that the rifle will be capable of ringing steel at 1,500-yds (1,700? More?) consistently; my ability to make that shot on the other hand is a work in progress, but I’d like to think the gun will do it.

THE QUESTIONS:

1)Would you all agree that a 24” barrel is the right choice for this 6.5 Creed versus 22” or 26” (seemingly absurd over-kill!?)?

2)The critical question: CARBON FIBER BARREL & FORE-END ******OR******* STEEL BARREL? Reviews that I’ve read on Christensen’s carbon barrels is right about 50 / 50 positive & disappointingly unimpressive for a “.5 MOA guaranteed” barreled action. The carbon set-up is sexy & light, but this is not intended to be a show-piece; I want this F’er to be a tack-driver, & IF I ever spend an entire day traipsing around the woods on a hunt (& I’d like to, to be honest), I’m willing to haul the extra weight knowing I have a better, more accurate build.

So let’s hear it, Fellas... what are your thoughts, experiences, advice, & so on?

Thanks sincerely for anyone willing to chime in... I’m pretty excited about this rare opportunity to own a really nice (to me) bolt gun & wanna be well informed about the particulars before I order so I don’t have a “...Damn it!? I wish I had...”

Best,

Scott in Roanoke
Ronin4870

Attachments

• 4812B4B1-03DA-49BA-BE6F-7DBB04A01257.jpeg
    4812B4B1-03DA-49BA-BE6F-7DBB04A01257.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 193
I have this in 6.5 PRC 24” CF. No problem out to a mile. CA customer service was exemplary. There’s threads on this gun to search. 24” will be fine. You’ll be extremely happy with it. The TT trigger is phenomenal. I got mine on sale for $1900 from Bridgeport Equipment in OH but there’s one in Beckley, WV also. They will often work with you if you call but during these times hard to say as shit is flying off the shelves.
4A06BDFD-E94A-4FFD-88AC-F88266D18DB5.jpeg674F73E6-0B36-4129-AA7C-455409F3DBE7.jpeg

If I was looking for a rifle with an outstanding reputation in the price range that you mentioned, I think I would look really hard at a MPA BA PMR Pro. Tikka T3x TAC A1 would be another for a bit less.

Glad to see that someone with first hand experience chimed in with a positive response. If, as you stated, your primary desire is a tac driver, I personally would go with the steel barrel for the added weight. Weight is your friend when watching for your hits/misses. Best of luck with whichever rifle/manufacturer you choose!

Thanks db2000 - I appreciate your input, I really do. If 6.5 PRC wasn’t so f’ing hard to come by - & pricey - I might choose that myself.

Truth is, I work for the hunting dept at a local retailer, & not a small one... we have maybe 75% fewer firearms for sale than we did last August, I’d guess... pistols, revolvers, tac & sporting shottie’s, bolt guns, black guns, you name it; if you want it, I MIGHT have it once or twice a month. We get ammo one day each week - the “good shit” is gone in sub-3 or 4-hours & there’s never much of it. Pistol ammo? Be there when we open on the day we put it ALL out & you might get something; rifle ammo? .233, 5.56, .308, 6.5 ANYTHING, .243, .270?? You might have to gut punch granny to get some.

In any case, 24” carbon is what I want for my 6.5 Creed MPR, but a conversation with my manager this evening got me wondering about steel; my .308 LRP is not light by a mile, but the weight makes it feel like a hug from a good friend when the firing pin does work.

Has the weight of your carbon MPR made you “feel” it noticeably more than a heavier rifle?

My .308 - sexy, if you can deal with the weight...

Attachments

• F84CE686-E524-4DD9-81F1-1A5D3D85A98F.jpeg
    F84CE686-E524-4DD9-81F1-1A5D3D85A98F.jpeg
    585.2 KB · Views: 223
Thanks for chiming in, Buckley - I share your thoughts on steel, & it’s not out of the question, I just wanted to see what you guys had to say...

As for the alternatives you mentioned, again I agree... ALL highly competent, & just as capable; possibly more!? I’ve stopped shooting my Rem 700, & stopped buying match (factory box) ammo & am now collecting 6.5 Creed. So I could afford to get my “precision” fix on but still afford to shoot, I bought a Tikka T1x (.22LR) & I enjoy shooting that thing like you wouldn’t believe!? Accurate as you could ever hope for from a mid-priced .22LR. Tikka makes some consistently quality products at a better than fair price!

I’m stuck with Christensen though, not that I’m complaining... as a seller, CA has an outstanding “points program” - I won’t say how much I’m paying for my MPR cuz it would be bragging, & I’m a humble kat, but rings, glass & ammo are my only... “concerns”. Seriously though, I feel very fortunate to be able to “earn” something like an MPR...

Just for curiosity’s sake, is there another rifle from CA that you like better than the MPR? ...barring a BA Tact or ELR, that is - that would take longer to get than I have patience for, & whatever I order will be 6-8 months getting into my paws; patience is the price I’ll pay for my CA, so I’ll be patient!?

Thanks again, Buckley...

Gratis - Scott

14.7# unloaded btw w/ Accutac G2 BR4 currently
D3442F98-8C09-49EF-B6CE-DE4F08150085.jpeg

Reactions: Libr8t
I must admit, I do dig the MPR in black!? So, another question...

Tell me about that monopod you have mounted on the butt stock!? My monopod is utter shyte & to be honest, I much prefer a monopod of bags...

If light weight is your goal, this not a bad way to go. If long distance precision is your goal a stainless steel barrel, and the weight it adds will make seeing hits or misses much easier to see. If you are hunting this will be much easier to haul around. IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: smtitmelevi
I have a steel barrel MPR. The action is decent and the barrel will shoot with factory ammo. I’m absolutely in love with the chassis for practical field use.

It’s a pretty decent rifle for the $, if nothing else the chassis will make you feel like you didn’t wast your money

Thanks for the input, Stoweit - ultimately, long range precision is the goal; the “practical” issue is the lack of places that I can shoot any further than 100-yds around here.

That said, I may be moving out into the “cunry” this fall where it’s flat & you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a farm or a long field.

Damn it!? Now I’ve got to consider steel again!?

Reactions: Stoweit
Hey Crews...

Do you feel like the steel barrel is considerably heavier than the carbon? ...& is the fore-end still carbon?

Hey Crews...

Do you feel like the steel barrel is considerably heavier than the carbon? ...& is the fore-end still carbon?
The only benefit to CF is weight reduction and sexy factor that I know. My MPR is approx 15# as I said and recoil is very manageable. I stay on target at 20-27x at 1000 yards. I usually shoot around 15-18x at that distance and spot my own shots.
If you need weight add a weighted arca rail. There are many CF parts so why not stick with that in the barrel too. I would say, if you need more weight to be accurate, get a different gun but you’ve stated you need to stick with this one...which clearly I’m biased to so...

So my next question then is this, Crews... if I choose to go with the CF barrel, if I design added weight on the front end (IE - Arca rail, or weight my bipod somehow) into to my shooting routine, you think the CF barrel will offer comparable accuracy at distance to the steel barrel?

Don’t blow a gasket pushing that squirrelly out!?

Full disclosure... my MPR is gonna cost me all of $0.00 - my “reward” for moving so many CA bolt guns at my store round xmas time; so, still carbon you think?

Yes. Resell will be better if you decide to. Will shoot as good as steel.

Outstanding db - thanks for the good, practical advice... the decision has been made - thank you, db 🙏🏻

Reactions: db2000
Yeah if it’s free might as well get carbon fiber. If you are less than satisfied sell the barreled action and keep the chassis

Sounds like a plan... you guys have sold me!!

Seriously, I know this is a worn out topic on Sniper Hide, but you guys have been a huge help - I really appreciate, sincerely Fellas - thank you 🙏🏻

Very Best - Scott

Thank you for chiming in, My Friend - I appreciate hearing that!?

Mine is an “up-side - down-side” scenario.

Up-Side: Because I sell C.A., I earned MY MPR (6.5 Creed, bronze, 24” carbon barrel) for Free... free, free, free, free...

Down-Side: I got my order in about 3-weeks ago; I asked ballpark when I might hope to get my hands on it & the answer I got was “...I’d be surprised if you see it in 2021.” I wasn’t shocked, just a little disappointed 🤬

A couple questions for you, if you’re willing... I already have an LRP rifle in .308: Rem 700 - 20” steel heavy barrel - Bell & Carlson A-5 stock - Timney 2.5# trigger - Vortex Viper PST (Gen I) 6-24x50 with illuminated FFP EBR-2C reticle - just switched to low Vortex rings; I lapped the rings before mounting scope; lost my bubble level with the low rings though...

Questions:

What length barrel did you choose?

Is that a Vortex Razor you mounted on your MPR? What magnification did you choose (“for 1,000-yds; stretched to a mile”)? I’m debating between going with a Razor, or a Viper PST Gen II, with 25x max magnification- big price difference by 2x (+/-).

What grain-weight .308 bullet does your MPR like? ...& what - if any - difference does barrel material (steel heavy VS 416R stainless lined carbon wrapped) make in the best grain weight?

Do you hand-load, or use factory built ammo? If Factory, what brands, models, & weights do you like?

I typically buy 168-gr Remington Sierra Match Grade, as well as a few boxes of Berger & Hornaday; I’ve started stocking up on 6.5 Creed 147-gr for my MPR as we get boxes of the right match-grade rounds in the store each week, which is NOT often!?

Your reply to my post - & your guidance - is appreciated... thank you!!

My Rem 700
CA91DBE8-0676-4FDE-BDC0-5E0116BA810E.jpeg

Cheers - Scott

I know this is an old thread. Curious if you ever got the rifle and how it shoots etc. If you are in Roanoke there’s Bang Steel in Wytheville, about an hour or so from you. They have open range days for $50 every few months or so often weather permitting. I think they have targets to a mile.

I know this is an old thread. Curious if you ever got the rifle and how it shoots etc. If you are in Roanoke there’s Bang Steel in Wytheville, about an hour or so from you. They have open range days for $50 every few months or so often weather permitting. I think they have targets to a mile.
I definitely need to check out Bang Steel. I forgot about that range.
My MPR shoots great. Hell, I thought it shot well with the original barrel but CA must’ve thought otherwise. The 153 A-Tips pic is from when the OG barrel had less than 300 rounds on it. The other two pics are 5 shots and 10 shots with 156 EOLs from the new and current barrel. The gun probably shoots better than me, I’ll say that.
F2052A6D-645F-4C44-BF56-BDC95BAA710E.jpeg
47E4DE7C-0000-47F4-B3E9-8B5224EBE147.jpeg
D88C98EB-F540-4377-A539-A8EF9B98C5A7.jpeg