• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice plesae. Where do I put my money now to reach my long range shooting goals?

Blasst

Sergeant
Minuteman
Want to develop my long rage skills.
I got a DTA w/creedmoor and 338 barrels.Tripod. 5-25 premiere heritage scope. I'm taking a the rifles only class in Colorado shooting out to a mile in June.
I was wanting to buy a terrapin......but it seems like I need to just put my money in training next. I want to get a Get a terrapin before they are no longer available but they assure me they will be available for some 6 months most likely or more.

Should I invest in a wind meter or anything else ???? Or just invest in trigger time, ammo, and training for now. I want to take the Extreme Long Range at Gunsite soon as it comes back around.

thoughts or advice?
Thanks,
Jim

Theres no piece of equipment you can buy that replaces experience. Trigger time trigger time trigger time. Get out and shoot and take notes.

Yeah, training is one of the most under valued or overlooked components. 10 days of shooting spread over a few months will give you experience and trigger time to get a feel for your rifle and loads, but a 3 day class can expose you to your "unknowns", force you to think and do things differently, and give you invaluable back and forth with coaching.

I would say that if you want to get better at making first round, or coldbore hits at long distance then spend some time learning the ballistics of the cartridge in your particular gun and run through practice scenarios in your head. Then try to make a coldbore hit every time you go to the range, at a different distance. If you don't know the distance, then that's better. mil your target for range and dial up your windage and elevation, angle of fire, etc, and see how close you get. But I do feel that making coldbore hits at distance and becoming a more accurate shooter are two different things. If you want to get better at shooting your rifle then you need to spend time dry firing and shooting groups. Groups at 100 yards is a great exercise because you can isolate you and the gun/ammo without wind and other factors. If you are doing something wrong then the groups will speak to you. It's not really that hard to make hits at 1k yards or more once you are sighted in, I have had newbies shoot my guns for the first time and get a hit. Could they call the wind adn dial the elevation, or shoot a 5 shot group under 1/2"? Well, no. But those things are harder to do than simply hit a target at a known distance after 'walking it in' with a few wasted rounds of ammo.

Yeah, training is one of the most under valued or overlooked components. 10 days of shooting spread over a few months will give you experience and trigger time to get a feel for your rifle and loads, but a 3 day class can expose you to your "unknowns", force you to think and do things differently, and give you invaluable back and forth with coaching.
I agree with this. I've been sending rounds downrange and analyzing things as best I can from an inside perspective. I know that the only way I will improve off my current plateau (outside of sending 50,000 rounds downrange) will be coaching by a well qualified person/staff of people that know what they are doing and actually also do, instead of just teach.

I've already discussed the need with my wife and she knows that it will be a 3-4 day event, but it will likely not be until this fall. In the meantime, rounds downrange, sent they will be...

I agree with this. I've been sending rounds downrange and analyzing things as best I can from an inside perspective. I know that the only way I will improve off my current plateau (outside of sending 50,000 rounds downrange) will be coaching by a well qualified person/staff of people that know what they are doing and actually also do, instead of just teach.

I've already discussed the need with my wife and she knows that it will be a 3-4 day event, but it will likely not be until this fall. In the meantime, rounds downrange, sent they will be...

Lash,

where in CFL are you? I live in Gainesville and shoot at Bradford Sportsmans Farm often. Have you been there?

Lash,

where in CFL are you? I live in Gainesville and shoot at Bradford Sportsmans Farm often. Have you been there?
I live in Deltona and shoot mostly at Volusia County Gun & Hunt Club.
I'm shooting my first local FPR match this weekend. I haven't been to Bradford. Where is it?

You can PM me if you want so that we don't hijack this thread too much.

Last edited:
Something that others seemed to have over looked here is a reloading bench! Get a press, dies, brass, primers, powder, boolits, and a nice scale. The better the scale the lower the velocity spread on your ammo.

Something that others seemed to have over looked here is a reloading bench! Get a press, dies, brass, primers, powder, boolits, and a nice scale. The better the scale the lower the velocity spread on your ammo.

Yeah good point. I have reloading equipment.

I'm going to a Rifles only course in Colorado that works us out to a mile over 4 days.