• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

advice.. rem 700 30.06 hunting/ plinking rifle

mlh29

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
Lafargeville, NY 13656
Ok, I am wanting to start a new rifle build.
Base is a recently acquired rem 700 sps/ adl/? Package rifle originally sold at Bass pro witha 3x9x40 scope and the adl black synthetic stock.
Goal.. keep the caliber of 30.06 for a decent hunting rifle/ mid range rifle to hit distant targets(not a full long range comp gun just a comfortable rifle to practice/use all year.. Hunting will be deer/ blackbear in PA/NY. Ceracoat or similar on all metal for weather resistance, Dont want it to be a PIG( try to keep under 10 lbs, nor a full tactical( have 223/308/300win mag/338heavy rigs already) Budget: 1200 ready to shoot.

I am thinking of : basic truing of action during rebarrel, a barrel contour between the rem 700 magnum contour and the varmint. Finished length of 22-24 inch Leaning towards a light varmint or number 5 with flutes, Hart is 1hr from me but has an 11 month wait.

So far this rifle will get these as I have them sitting already:
Badger m4
badger 20 moa base
badger rings
rem40 x trigger or anold style 700 trigger( pre xmark pro externally adj)
leupold mark 4 3.5x10x40 lrtm3 or a vari x lrt in 4.5x14x50

I am thinking of a HS or bell and carlson stock( either alaskan with bedding block or an M40, if m40 it will be slimmed up,devcon bedded for full length with barrel free floating .) as big$ stocks are out..
Has anyone opened the bell and carlson alaskan stocks up to take a contour bigger than the rem mag contour?
Want rifle to have the remington bolt knob replaced, with a bigger knob..

Advice is appreciated, as are info on used parts/ smith for work etc
Thanks in advance

How does it shoot? If it shoots well now, I doubt you need to true it and that saves time and money, sometimes you can tell once the barrel is off if everything is flush and concentric. 95%+ of accuracy is from the barrel, so don't skimp there. I believe phoenix customs does quick turn around on bolt knobs, but I am getting to where I don't like aftermarket knobs anymore, just adds bulk.

Light varmint is perfect and I would search until I found one in stock that you like from the many great barrel builders.

It's too bad rifle manufacturers but such crap stocks on guns these days.

So far.. been thinking of either a bell and carlson alaskan 2 . I am also pondering the idea of a light varmint contour( number 5 from Hart) fluted. Has anyone used this stock with a heavier than magnum contour?
In addition. Can this stock be inletted for the badger m4 trigger guard? If not anyone want to trade a bdl drop in and cash for my m4?

I need a stock soon, prefer to shoot with factory barrel to see what it is capable of( hence the alaskan 2) have trigger adjusted to 2.7 lbs, badger base and rings mounted with a older mk 4 3.5x10x40 m3 with 30.6 turret.
Have had a few good days so far to shoot.. but I want to get this rifle in a decent stock before wasting ammo..
Advice is appreciated

i would look for a 5R or 700P take-off stock. this will be a good stiff stock that will allow you to fit a Varmint contour in the future if you want to rebarrel it.

im planning on a heavier M24 contour in a 700P stock that will need to be opened up a bit. i need the weight to help with recoil on a bad shoulder. probably brake it as well. i have an older 700ADL with the old trigger. shes really smooth but i cant stand very many 180gr loads right now. when shes at full weight and braked, i plan on shooting some 190s at 2800fps or so...