• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice to get back into it…OHIO based

SGTMIKE86

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2023
Miamisburg, OH
Guys,

To keep this short, I was a sniper in the German military and got out in 2012. I loved it, but family life forced me to go a different route.

I am now a SWAT sniper and we all know that the average distance for that is approx. 60 yds.

Now, I would like to get back into long range shooting and possibly enter some competitions. However, I am honestly a bit intimidated as I have never shot a competition and don’t want to show up and basically embarrass myself.

I am in the Dayton, OH area and my LR options are VERY limited.

Any input as to where to start would be much appreciated.

My rifle is a Seekins HAVAK HIT Pro .308 (yeah I am old school) with a Steiner M7Xi.

Looking into getting a Kestrel (not sure if I want the 5700 Elite or the 5700), and this is very new to me. None of this was available to me when I was in the military.

I just need a little guidance and a mental uplift haha.

Thanks guys.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
Just show up and shoot if you want to.

It's a game so expect several aspects of it to be contrived (25 lb guns and such) but it gives you a chance to shoot a non standard course of fire.

Honestly I would just go hunting instead, but your state has that stupid cartridge type limitation, so...

There are some places to shoot in kentucky, also Indiana has matches just outside the Ohio border. Rayners range outside of zanesivlle, thunder valley near coshocton, and southington up in garrettsville have matches of various types. Lots of people in Ohio shoot, unfortunately the PRS scene has pretty much died for ohio ranges.

Guys,

To keep this short, I was a sniper in the German military and got out in 2012. I loved it, but family life forced me to go a different route.

I am now a SWAT sniper and we all know that the average distance for that is approx. 60 yds.

Now, I would like to get back into long range shooting and possibly enter some competitions. However, I am honestly a bit intimidated as I have never shot a competition and don’t want to show up and basically embarrass myself.

I am in the Dayton, OH area and my LR options are VERY limited.

Any input as to where to start would be much appreciated.

My rifle is a Seekins HAVAK HIT Pro .308 (yeah I am old school) with a Steiner M7Xi.

Looking into getting a Kestrel (not sure if I want the 5700 Elite or the 5700), and this is very new to me. None of this was available to me when I was in the military.

I just need a little guidance and a mental uplift haha.

Thanks guys.
Forget competition here in Ohio. Rayners Range has some "matches" but they take literally all fucking day to shoot 30 - 40 rounds.

A better use of time, in my opinion, is to go to Rayners Range and Thunder Valley either by yourself or with one or two shooting buddies and shoot for fun.

I'm next door to you in Miami County but have not had time to shoot rifles in a long time because USPSA has taken over my passion since 2019.

Come to think of it we might know each other from Miamisburg USPSA matches. Let me know privately.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
Your closest options are Butlerville IN (2 hours from Dayton) or MKM in Kennerdell PA (4 hours from Dayton).

Like the pirate said Rayners and TVP are great for getting data and relaxing with friends. I do hear good things about the rayners long ranges matches they are prone shooting at small targets but they take all day to shoot 40 rounds. I plan to shoot one soon.

You will be able to shoot tac class and mil/leo.

The 5700 elite is worth it in my opinion. Just so I can preload stages into it. But you can get way with any free app to begin with. I used 4dof before i got a 5700 elite.

I would recommend a good support bag like a game changer schmedium with sand fill.

Everyone will be helpful. Your squad mates will offer info and gear if you need any.

I’ll be shooting MKM this Saturday and Butlerville next month. I need to shoot a miamisburg uspsa match. I haven’t shot one since 2019.

Last edited:
Show up with the intention of having fun and an open mind with no performance expectations.

No one cares how well you do or don't shoot. People do care how pleasant you are to shoot with and if you're safe.

Have an open mind, focus on having fun, and use it as a learning opportunity and a way to meet new people.

The biggest hurdle is just showing up, IMO.