• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Advice wanted for scope / rifle combinations

Absoluterock

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2019
First off, if this isn't the right place to post this please let me know. It is a combo question but I think it is more about optics than rifles.

To be fair. . .

I am not complaining about my conundrum. It is a good (great) problem to have. . . I just don't want to make an expensive mistake.

I have two great rifles and two great scopes but I don't know if they pair up well. The question is there a good enough combination or should I sell one or both of the scopes and get something more appropriate for each rifle.

Guns:

Rifle 1 - Lightweight do-all mountain hunting rifle
Defiance Anti - 7 Saum - XM length (about 7 pounds unscoped).

Rifle 2 - Steel banger / future PRS rig (Sold a few 'good' rifles to get this "great' one)
ARC Xylo / Mausingfield - 6.5 Creedmoor

Glass:

Scope 1 - S&B 3-20x50 PMII with P4F reticle.

Scope 2 - NF 7-35x56 F1 ATACR with Tremor3

Here's my take on the current options.

Pros:

I love the glass. They are both great scopes in their own way. The S&B is amazingly clear and I really like the illumination for hunting (it isn't too bright). The Nightforce is just pretty cool and that extra magnification is handy for observation etc.

Cons:

The S&B would be perfect except it seems just a bit heavy for a light weight hunting rig. I looked at the S&B 4-16 Polar as a replacement. Can I use a P4F reticle for PRS? (It seems like all I see are christmas tree style reticles for PRS)

I don't love the Tremor3 in the NF (I'd probably consider getting it swapped for a Mil-XT but it seems like a waste to have spent the extra $ for this fancy reticle only to pay NF to swap it out.) I am too inexperienced to know for sure but I assume 7x is a bit high for the low end of magnification when shooting PRS matches - I could definitely use advice regarding this.

Options:

1 - Hunting rifle with PMII and PRS rig with ATACR (Switch out Tremor3 reticle?)

2 - New scope for Hunting Rifle and PRS rig with PMII

3 - Other?

Thanks to anyone that has good insight into this. Again, I get that this is a good problem to have and I'm not complaining.

I’m no expert on any of this stuff, but I will say this. I like light hunting guns. My current fave is a Cross with a 2.5-10 Polar on it. I also wouldn’t care nearly as much about keeping it light for a PRS or bench gun.

My advice? Set up two weapons, one for the field and one for everything else at the range. Your (true) maximum hunting range? That’s all that scope needs to do.

I looked at the 2.5-10 polar but I’d like the ability to shoot 500-600 yards hunting. I think having adjustable parallax (like the 4-16) would be a better fit.

I’ll never take a first shot at that distance but I’ve had to help clean up a miss before and I’ll reach out in that situation as far as is reasonable.

I looked at the 2.5-10 polar but I’d like the ability to shoot 500-600 yards hunting. I think having adjustable parallax (like the 4-16) would be a better fit.

I’ll never take a first shot at that distance but I’ve had to help clean up a miss before and I’ll reach out in that situation as far as is reasonable.
Yeah, that makes sense. I’m just suggesting to reduce weight as much as possible by figuring out the most bleeding edge of distance you might shoot an animal at and buying accordingly. For where I hunt a 4 on the bottom is just too much zoom, but a 400 yard shot is borderline unheard of.